SiouxSports.com Forum

CCHA changes piont system

AZSIOUX

LINK

The Central Collegiate Hockey Association announced today that, effective at the start of conference play on Oct. 23, a regulation time or overtime victory will be worth three points in the league standings.

interesting to read this as 3 pints really seperates the good teams which isnt all that bad i guess. i presonally would like the wcha to go to the nhl system. 2 points for a win no matter what but 1 point each for a tie after overtime is completed. the length of overtime is probably its own discussion along with the shootout a possibility but just sticking to the point system with the rules as is i think a overtime game should reward each team with a point and the winner getting the 2 points no matter when they win the game. just my 2 cents. what does everyone think?

I think every game should be worth the same number of points, so if you want to reward an overtime/shootout loss I think you need to go

win in regulation - 3 points

win in OT/shootout - 2 points

loss in OT/shootout - 1point

loss in regulation - 0 points

im ok with that breakdown but would rather see any win worth 3 points. i like the 3 points the more i think about it as its really rewarding a team for winning.

In reality it will only affect the conference tourney seedings; the PWR will still determine the national scene.

That said, late in the season CCHA coaches are now going to be faced with the decision to go all-out in a tie game for an extra conference point, or hold back to avoid losing a game and points in the PWR. I'm interested to see how this affects the teams on the PWR bubble in that conference.

I absolutely hate the getting one point for a loss. It goes against everything that sports is. I can see giving out a point for losing in a shootout, because that is meant just to get an outcome one way or another. I think if you get a point for just getting to overtime, you would see a lot more of the traps that many fans hate to see halfway through the 3rd period, and even earlier if you are a scoring-challenged team. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but it seems there are so many more NHL games that go to overtime now, and you don't see the style of play open up until the 4 on 4 overtime when the point is secure.

Knowing how slow the Sioux usually start out, Sioux fans should hate the getting a point for getting to overtime. You can't gain ground as fast on teams that you are only gaining a point on. I wonder how many games went to O.T. a few years back when the Sioux absolutely had no room for error after the first half of the year. Trupps O.T. goal in Minneapolis might have not been as big a turning point as it was if the gophers would have come out of the game with something. I know there are times when it works against you, but I'm fine with that, because that is what gives those overtime games the tension and on the edge of your seat for every shot toward either net. I hate that feeling at the time, but the exhiliration when the Sioux win those games is higher in my eyes when you deprive the other team of anything.