SiouxSports.com Forum

Herald pre-season poll

rochsioux

Absolutely.

Hard to believe, but has to be. If UMN got 9 of 10 1st place votes, then everyone voted for UMN except Lucia as no coach can vote for his own team. That means only one first place vote left (Lucia's), and it went to UND. Therfore Lucia had to vote for UND. Probably the only decision not totally bereft of morality he's made in the last 5 years :D .

Glad to see UMD in third, but I don't believe CC will be nearly as good after losing so many seniors. UND has goaltending issues, but they should be able to score plenty to cover it up, plus they are fairly solid on D. I think Tech will take last this year without Sertie to guide them...

If the Gophers are going to have any trouble this season, it's going to be early on in the season. Once they gel, though, UND, which will undoubtedly be in first place for that time, will not be able to lose or tie many games before UMN passes them by like Parise on a breakaway.

God that hurts to say :D

Tie is one of my favorite enforcers, especially since Tony Twist. (Kind of reminds of the fond days of Eades and Archibald ... :0) I found the pic doing a GIS, not sure who's getting schooled. But unfortunately that's the best resolution for that avatar ... dammit. :angry::) I found another one where Tie is getting his lunch handed to him by a Dallas Star. Maybe I'll bring it up this season. :0:D

Denver was the wcha pre-season pick last season...CC ultimately won.

There goes that rebuttal. :angry:

Sorry about that, I didn't even bother to look it up - just assumed, and you know what they say about that.

That's kind of weird that the defending national champion was not even picked first in their league at the start of the season. I guess they did lose a lot after their 1st championship. Just thought it was general practice to vote someone #1 until they lost.

See you at the Ralph.

Denver was coming off a tremendous year in 2002 and had almost everyone back - including arguably the top two goalies in the league - so it was not a stretch to pick them as the repeat WCHA champs. Contrary, MN had lost most of its leadership and ~40% of its scoring. I was not surprised they didn't win the WCHA, but was pleasantly :angry: surprised how well the came together when it mattered most - which was very un-Minnesota like, especially under the Wooger. :D

Maybe that's why Woog is a commentator and not a coach anymore. Too much of a wannabe who has too much smoke and not enough talent to put it into practice.

My preseason pump up has gotten so high that I am actually anxious to watch Woog and whoever else sits with him talk hockey again. Even though they'll probably get right to kissing up to MN players right away instead of calling the game like they usually do. :angry:

(BTW- I don't recall who was coaching MN between 1995 and 2000, but after listening to Woog talk on the TV, there's no doubt in my mind why MN pursued Lucia)