SiouxSports.com Forum

Provost letter to UND faculty

The Sicatoka

So, what did the provost tell the faculty?

September 10, 2009

Dear fellow faculty members:

The story is told about Aaron Sorkin's last seasons of writing THE WEST WING that he would bring major script changes to actors who were already preparing to shoot a scene. As we enter this academic year and prepare to meet the demand on us as faculty to deal responsibly with the State Board of Higher Education decisions regarding the name and logo, I have new sympathy for THE WEST WING cast.

It would be understandable if prior events and uncertainty about what may happen in the future were to create confusion and anxiety. If I may, I'd like to offer some thoughts about the basic principles that should guide us and a few pieces of practical advice.

The principles that we share are easy to state:

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/133197/

"when events begin to spiral"? What exactly is that intended to imply?

Are they expecting massive protest rallies if the name is forced to change? I wouldn't hold my breath for that. It'll go with a wimper into the night.

Are they expecting massive protest rallies if the deadline is extended? I haven't seen a "massive" anti-moniker rally ... ever.

I haven't really thought about this since I first read it but just from my first glance, it seemed like he was somewhat asking for restraint from faculty members if the deadline gets moved back. Its easy to see certain faculty members making a big deal about this in the classroom instead of focusing on educating and I think he was trying to urge them to remember why they have a job in the first place. But thats just my 2 cents.

What the heck does this mean?

During a difficult time in my life, our daughter gave me a button that said, "Never try to teach a cow to sing. It won't work and it annoys the cow."

Am I a "cow" that won't "sing" because I don't and won't believe "Go Sioux" is offensive?

What about the 2/3 of Spirit Lake that won't "sing" that song either?

I haven't really thought about this since I first read it but just from my first glance, it seemed like he was somewhat asking for restraint from faculty members if the deadline gets moved back. Its easy to see certain faculty members making a big deal about this in the classroom instead of focusing on educating and I think he was trying to urge them to remember why they have a job in the first place. But thats just my 2 cents.

I'm hoping you're correct in that assessment.

The other way to read it would be that some of the "enlightened" expect those terrible <slanderous word here> redneck "Sioux fans" to descend upon the campus with torches and pitchforks.

I have the solution:

- The state board messed up and picked the wrong date. They didn't allow time for Standing Rock elections to occur. So, admitting that, move the October 1 date back a month.

- Let Standing Rock know about the change and that the ball is completely in their court: It's all up to them.

- Live with the Standing Rock decision and be done.

I think the Attorney General is the only one in this who's seeing this clearly, with no agendas (pro- or anti-, conference affiliation pressures or whatever).

Seems the Fargo Forum believes it's a "done deal" ...

LEAFY SPURGE: To North Dakota American Indian tribe members who are continuing to stir the University of North Dakota Sioux nickname pot. The deal is done. UND has decided to move on. The controversial nickname and logo will be replaced with something yet to be chosen. A tribal referendum at Standing Rock on the issue, whether it

I'm hoping you're correct in that assessment.

The other way to read it would be that some of the "enlightened" expect those terrible <slanderous word here> redneck "Sioux fans" to descend upon the campus with torches and pitchforks.

I tended to read this more in this light as well.

To repeat what I said before, what of this:

"We have today before us a dynamic in terms of a change in public policy that's being brought forward, said William Goetz, North Dakota University System chancellor. This is the recognition of the tribes and how they will be given an opportunity to weigh in on this issue, as should be the case.”

To make the claim that "public policy" in ND has changed and the tribes will be allowed to "weigh in on the issue" and then make deadlines where it's impossible for that to happen is disingenuous at best.

If the folks on the reservations didn't think they could trust the rest of us before, what'll they think if that comes to pass.

Let me begin by saying that I have always been and will always be a passionate supporter of UND's use of the Fighting Sioux name and logo. It is fitting and appropriate on many levels and for many reasons that I will not get into. Over the years that this debate has carried on the one missing element was always what the tribes thought and their position was always that this was a matter for the University to determins and that they really did not want to get involved. Even when the state and the NCAA made thier settlement agreement, the attitude from the tribes was "don't drag us into this". Now we have dragged them into this and in fact have made them the "make or break" factor - and have done so without ever having consulted the tribes to see if they wanted that responsibility. The tribes have been treated presumptiously by the NCAA (the "namesake" provision), UND for waiting 50 years to reach out to the tribes, the state for including the tribes in the settlement agreement without asking if they wanted su;ch inclusion, and the Board of Higher Education for dumping everything in their laps. Some times we just want a Greta Garbo (for the younsters - "I just want to be left alone") but our will has been imposed on the tribes, and I know how I react when someone wants me to make their decisions for them - I just want to be left alone, you decide and I will live with the consequences the same as you. I really hope that some way is found to retain the name and logo - but to put the burden on those who never asked for it is unfair to them. This rant has a price tag of 2 cents.

Uh the tribes, have had how many years to take a role in this issue? I'm thinking it was just a little earlier than when the NCAA got involved. What makes anyone think they will get there ducks in row to address it now. They've had more than enough time by my account, only now with a deadline in place does it matter. Move the deadline and they will move it off their agenda or at least off their priority list. The only reason that this has been a priority for some of the Standing Rock Tribe is that they realize they are about to lose say...they've had 30 plus years to weigh in---and they haven't done anything. Look at Spirit Lake for goodness sakes, they have a referendum on the matter and it still doesn't matter because the chairperson says it doesn't (or at least Chair Persons actions says it doesn't). Moving the deadline will only allow them to hmm & haw at it until the next deadline. This is how the game is played out there. I've lived next to reservations, this is how it works. For those who have fought so valiently on the reservations in support of the nickmame recently...and I stress the word recently...I appreciate it, but where were you 15 years ago, 20 years ago--I'm sorry it's a little to late, whether the deadline is moved or not, I guarantee it will not change one thing about how fast tribal government will address it, in fact I argue that it will only slow them down.

I don't think the various tribes owe us anything. They are getting nothing from UND's use of the nickname other than maybe some publicity and possibly the pride (for those that feel that way) that the name was selected for this use.

I think the reason there is a late push by some within the tribes is that until just recently there wasn't a need for them to do so. Nor was it their responsibility to do so.

But now they are faced with the responsibility falling to the tribes and they are doing what they can for their position on the subject. I applaud those nickname supporters who, IMO, have done some pretty great things on the reservations recently regarding the nickname. Their efforts have been the only hope I've seen in the last couple of years that the nickname might yet remain. It's probably too late now, but some of the blame would have to go to the State Board for arbitrarily installing a deadline that didn't have to be there.

I believe there's a lot more responsibility to be put on UND and the State Board and others than there is on the tribes.

Ever wonder what a steak feels like when it sits in marinade?

Well, here's close, because it's more tenderizing.

The grill's comin', about October 1.

Using Tolerance to Promote Tolerance: An open discussion for faculty

Have you wondered how to talk to students about difficult issues that may not be directly related to your course, but still effect the climate of your campus and classroom? Or have you struggled with trying to promote tolerance in the face of voices that feel intolerant to you? There are a lot of divisive issues in our world and on our campus. And this reality is made more difficult by the fact that we live in an era in which extreme opponents are often pitted against one another in vitriolic sound bite dialogues. Most of us agree there is a lamentable lack of opportunity for genuine and open disagreement and debate within our culture.

What can we as faculty members do to establish a campus environment that allows intelligent, compassionate and authentic dialogue around controversial or threatening issues? Ideally a university should be a safe space for the courteous exchange of thoughts and ideas. How do we encourage and sustain such an environment for our students and ourselves? OID has organized this open forum for discussion and we hope that you will come and bring your concerns, ideas, aspirations and hopes for fostering greater open-mindedness, respect, forbearance, charity, kindness - in short, greater humanity-- both in and outside our classroom space.

Come join this open discussion Monday, September 28, from 3-4 in the Badlands Room of the Memorial Union. -- Anne Kelsch, Director of Instructional Development & Assoc. Prof. History.

More marinade.

Seems the grill's about to temperature ...

Message to the University Community from UND President Robert Kelley, Monday, Sept. 28, 2009:

I met today with the leadership of the Staff Senate, the UND Foundation and Alumni Association, as well as my vice presidents, and I have communicated with the leadership of the University Senate and Student Senate. We talked about Homecoming this week and about how this is a time to celebrate the achievements of the University in our core mission of teaching, research, and service. As I told the Grand Forks and East Grand Forks Chamber earlier this month, we have much of which to be proud. We have globally-respected faculty, dedicated staff, and hard-working, intelligent students. We are developing innovative academic programs to complement an already comprehensive list of majors and minors. We are conducting world-class research in areas that matter to people. And we are finding ways of providing service that meet the real needs of the citizens of our state, region, and nation.

In short, we have a lot to celebrate.

I also talked about the ongoing conversations regarding UND's Fighting Sioux name and logo. As it stands now, the State Board of Higher Education met May 14 and passed a resolution that directs the University to start the process of changing the nickname and logo, unless the two name sake tribes each pass resolutions that support the University keeping the nickname for at least 30 years. On Thursday, Oct. 1, the State Board will hold a 9:30 a.m. teleconference to consider extending the deadline.

This morning I told the group that we must continue to keep our eyes on the ball: the University's core mission. It is important not to lose sight of what is important in the long run for the education of our students and for working toward even greater quality for our many programs.

As we go forward, I want to emphasize that we -- the University community -- will continue to focus on the University's core mission. We will do this in an environment that lines up with the University's core values. These include the right and the freedom to express one's views in a civil manner and to express and respect honest differences of opinion, also in a safe and civil environment. I want to make it clear, and to assure all of you, that the University will continue to concentrate on its core mission of teaching and learning, scholarship, and service as we move into the future.

More marinade.

Seems the grill's about to temperature ...

Ok. So, if one reads between the lines, what is Kelley saying? Maybe someone who lives around GF can tell us. Is it:

Door #1 -- "I've been directly informed (or they've told me in euphemisms with nods and winks) by the SBoHE that the deadline will not be extended. All of you nasty, racist nickname supporters had better keep it in check because we all need to focus on the school's core values."

OR

Door #2 -- "I think or have been informed (again with euphemisms with nods and winks) by the SBoHE that the deadline will be extended. All of you (I could probably count the # on 4 hands) civil, enlightened and respectful nickname opponents had better not call me a racist and Nazi support at the homecoming parade."

Ok. So, if one reads between the lines, what is Kelley saying? Maybe someone who lives around GF can tell us. Is it:

Door #1 -- "I've been directly informed (or they've told me in euphemisms with nods and winks) by the SBoHE that the deadline will not be extended. All of you nasty, racist nickname supporters had better keep it in check because we all need to focus on the school's core values."

OR

Door #2 -- "I think or have been informed (again with euphemisms with nods and winks) by the SBoHE that the deadline will be extended. All of you (I could probably count the # on 4 hands) civil, enlightened and respectful nickname opponents had better not call me a racist and Nazi support at the homecoming parade."

You don't ever dare scold, upgrade, or reprimand the actions of the "enlightened and respectful nickname opponents". You can't even do it when they've moved into insubordinate or uncivil behavior. So you surely dare not give them any sort of warning even in the face of (rightly) anticipated continued patterns of behavior.

Only the "nasty, racist nickname supporters" need be chastised for actions that have never happened and can only be imagined to occur.

To me it seems he's trying to dance on the fine line of reminding everyone in the school community that the University is about more than a nickname, and that is what school representatives should keep in mind. Personal opinions are fine, but keep your primary focus on non-nickname related subjects.

I think he's speaking to both sides.

To me it seems he's trying to dance on the fine line of reminding everyone in the school community that the University is about more than a nickname, and that is what school representatives should keep in mind. Personal opinions are fine, but keep your primary focus on non-nickname related subjects.

I think he's speaking to both sides.

I think Kelly is a smart guy and he knows where the deep pockets are within the University alumni. Keeping the Sioux nickname will keep those deep pocket alums happy! I think everyone at UND and outside the school understands how emtional the nickname really is. If it changes, I don't think Kelly or anyone at UND will be able to perpare for the backlash. It will come no matter what the outcome is....but less backlash if we keep the Sioux!!