SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux playing in Fargo?

paul62

I thought they would just flood the FloodDome, voluntarily this time, and play there, as it will be the only time real D1 teams show up there in any capacity. :D

After all, there's a huge hockey following in Fargo, according to the Forum while neglecting to note the dead USHL and other hockey teams from Fargo's past.

Aside: God I love that green-faced smilie. :0

After all, there's a huge hockey following in Fargo, according to the Forum while neglecting to note the dead USHL and other hockey teams from Fargo's past.

There is a huge following in Fargo. Jeff Bowen and Rob Bollinger told me that roughly 1/3 of the season ticket holders are from the Fargo-Moorhead area. The USHL teams folded because: (1) we have no quality rinks in Fargo (2) it conflicts with the Sioux games (3) too much competition for Friday and Saturday night, including high school hockey and youth hockey which involves games every weekend.

There are many UND graduates in Fargo, and even more Sioux hockey fans who may root for the Bison in football and basketball.

Why not hold it at one of the high schools? Fargo South and North High have decent rinks?

As for the FargoDome, it's not a possibility unless we truck down the equipment to make the ice and maintain it from GF. They don't have the equipment to do it.

Yes, they do have the Stars on Ice and assorted family ice programming, but those programs truck all the equipment with them.

redwing77 The Sioux are not playing in Fargo. We are not going to debate where they should play, because it is not going to happen. Obviously a screw up in the SI article.

The first post actually sounded serious so I thought I would have some fun with it.

Yeah, like we are going to say, "lets not play in our beautiful arena this weekend, how about we load everything up and go to Fargo and play in one of their rinks." lol

If the FloodDome is busy, maybe the Red River can be cleared off.

skateshattrick: The only reason there is a hockey following in F-M, having grown up there and played HS & amatuer hockey there, is because of UND, and probably Moorhead having strong hockey programs. 'SU has never helped the cause and the sport was effectively given over to GF in favor of FB and BB by FPS long ago. Occasionally, one of the Fargo schools makes a decent run, but as Dan Irmen and a few others can attest, you have to go elsewhere to really do well. That said, I hope the new NAHL program actually takes off and people show up to support it ... but the odds are pretty slim IMO.

If the FloodDome is busy, maybe the Red River can be cleared off.

skateshattrick: The only reason there is a hockey following in F-M, having grown up there and played HS & amatuer hockey there, is because of UND, and probably Moorhead having strong hockey programs. 'SU has never helped the cause and the sport was effectively given over to GF in favor of FB and BB by FPS long ago. Occasionally, one of the Fargo schools makes a decent run, but as Dan Irmen and a few others can attest, you have to go elsewhere to really do well. That said, I hope the new NAHL program actually takes off and people show up to support it ... but the odds are pretty slim IMO.

I agree that NDSU and the Fargo Park District are absolutely no help, but I disagree that Fargo is not a good hockey town. We have tremendous youth participation with approximately 26 teams between Squirt and Bantam (10 Squirt, 7 or 8 Pee Wee, and 7 or 8 bantam teams), great parent support, and success at our youth programs. The Flyer (southside) squirt, peewee and bantam A teams all split with Moorhead last year, and have done very well against Grand Forks and Minnesota. Fargo has the interest, it just does not have the ice because we (the Flyers and Raiders are 100% privately owned and funded) get no help from the Park District.

Having said that, I do not think that the Jets will do well because most of us would rather watch UND or our own kids than a junior team, particularly when they play in a horse**** facility like the Coliseum. :D