SiouxSports.com Forum

Best WCHA Returning Goalie

redwing77

Which returning goaltender is the best of the bunch?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which returning goaltender is the best of the bunch?

• 1. McElhinney (CC)
    • 2. Reichmuth (UMD)
    • 3. Berkhoel (DU)
    • 4. Elsworth (MTU)
    • 5. Brandt (UND)
    • 6. Johnson (UM)
    • 7. Montgomery (SCSU)
    • 8. Volp (MSU-M)
    • 9. Bruckler (UW)
    • 10. Reiter (UAA)

Ok, here are the parameters:

All the goalies listed have played at least a half season in the WCHA. No incoming freshmen :D

If you'd like, you can use the replies to post a ranking in order of goalies.

This is mainly out of curiosity that I post this, but I want to ask that you do not consider the offense and defense of each team. JUST the goalies. Why? Well, I am a believer that Cam Elsworth of MTU is an excellent goaltender on a team that couldn't contend even if UND and UM withdrew from the WCHA because of piss poor talent everywhere else, but he is a good goalie with too much burden on his shoulders.

Let's see what comes up, no?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am a believer that Cam Elsworth of MTU is an excellent goaltender on a team that couldn't contend ...

McElhimmey is clearly the cream of the crop among returning netminders. Ellsworth's numbers simply don't stand up under any sort of scrutiny. Even Jake Brandt, who many of us called sieve and any number of other nasties last season, has better stats than Ellsworth. To wit:

Brandt .903 SV % 2.40 GAA 3 shutouts

Ellsworth .893 SV% 4.04 GAA 1 shutout

There are a lot of great goaltenders in the WCHA, Reichmuth, Berkhoel, Volp, and McElhinney are all deserving. Outside of the WCHA, I think the best goaltender I've seen play since Karl in his prime is Al Montoya. This kid is crazy talented, and if anyone ever gets a chance to see Mich play this year, take it.

I wasn't joking! I thought he played great at Denver vs their very good goalie..

I thought he played great against CC at the Ralph.

How many walk on goalies have ever played for the Sioux.

How many have two shutouts? What is Marc's save percentage?

Marc never quit he had a lot of chances to quit. Heck I was told by the owner of the Rochester Mustangs that he would never play college hockey. I want to thank coach Blais for giving him the chance to play at this level. I hope he gets the chance to keep working. I hope they keep him around in case

the veteran Brandt struggles. I hope Jake does well but I know Marc was much better in USHL than Brandt.

I also know that Ziegleman is darn good and Parise is a great competitor. I have always said you only have one goalie or you don't have any. But the Wild sure shot a hole in that theory last season.

I really like Marc for the fact that he never gave in when all the odds were against him. I also wish he could be the guy this year. Those two goals on Friday vs Denver were tough. But I have seen Patrick let bad ones in. I think if he got the job he would take over. That is my biased opinion. The freshman can wait! What evidence is there that Brandt can be the guy.

I remember a guy named O'Leary getting cut. He was a walk-on also. I think you need those guys that play there butts off every game. That is my silly opinion. I think it adds character to your team. It also makes the scholarship guys come to work. They have to see how much some guys love the game.

I hope coach Blais keeps Marc around just in case the Sioux need him!

I wasn't joking! I thought he played great at Denver vs their very good goalie..

I thought he played great against CC at the Ralph.

How many walk on goalies have ever played for the Sioux.

How many have two shutouts? What is Marc's save percentage?

Marc never quit he had a lot of chances to quit. Heck I was told by the owner of the Rochester Mustangs that he would never play college hockey. I want to thank coach Blais for giving him the chance to play at this level. I hope he gets the chance to keep working. I hope they keep him around in case

the veteran Brandt struggles. I hope Jake does well but I know Marc was much better in USHL than Brandt.

I also know that Ziegleman is darn good and Parise is a great competitor. I have always said you only have one goalie or you don't have any. But the Wild sure shot a hole in that theory last season.

I really like Marc for the fact that he never gave in when all the odds were against him. I also wish he could be the guy this year. Those two goals on Friday vs Denver were tough. But I have seen Patrick let bad ones in. I think if he got the job he would take over. That is my biased opinion. The freshman can wait! What evidence is there that Brandt can be the guy.

I remember a guy named O'Leary getting cut. He was a walk-on also. I think you need those guys that play there butts off every game. That is my silly opinion. I think it adds character to your team. It also makes the scholarship guys come to work. They have to see how much some guys love the game.

I hope coach Blais keeps Marc around just in case the Sioux need him!

lol, you must be some relative of his or something.

He had a couple nice outings for the Sioux, nobody is doubting that.

But he is not the best returning goalie. If you honestly think that he proved that in the very very little time he saw, then you have to be a relative.

I am sorry but on that Saturday night in Denver. Marc played as well as the Denver goalie who in a thread like this at this time last year he would be the leader much like the UMD goalie is today.

I really hope Marc gets the opportunity to finish his career in a Sioux Jersey

What evidence is there that Brandt can be the guy?

Did you watch the post season? Brandt looked better than he did during most of the regular season.

That said I have to agree that Marc was a good guy and player, anyone who works that hard deserves credit, but obviously Blais saw more potential in Jake and the incoming freshman, hopefully he isn't wrong.

Glad you're willing to stand up in what you believe though. I'm a huge Goehring and he has definetly proved that working hard and playing well are what makes a great player.

PS. If the updated roster is correct Jordan Parise better prove he deseves to wear the same #1 on his jersey that Karl wore on his...

HKNTSMN - I apologize for sounding a bit harsh in my earlier posts. There just is an attitude in some of these threads that unless you bleed kelly green then your opinions are not welcome. I'm a huge fan, but when I see a weakness I have no problem pointing it out.

Again, it was nothing personal with you or Mr. Ranfranz, just irritated me that because I questioned something, all of a sudden people were questioning my credentials. If that is the case, I would have no problem posting a resume that included professional employment history, along with anything else all of you wanted to know. Just as long as everyone else did.

No Sweat,

I just don't know how we can judge this thing on a message board, it really depends on who takes charge in practice and on Friday and Saturday night.

I really like Marc that is all. I like all the Sioux players and all the Sioux fans. I just want em to win the title.

I hate when the golden gophers win it. Good luck to all the Sioux Players and especially the goalies.

I know Ziegleman must be good and he won a championship last year at Lincoln so he knows how to win.

Jordan had a real good year in Waterloo and maybe he'll be the guy. But I don't want Marc to be thrown o

out as he is a good kid.

Nothing personal against either Brandt or Ranfranz, and without considering their stats, the fact is, I'm just not confident with either of them in the net. In tough games, it seems like they play just well enough to let one more in than the opposition.

I'm looking for a 'tender that makes all the saves he should, makes a few he shouldn't, and exudes confidence for all.

That's my opinion, I claim no special knowledge, it's just coming from a die-hard Sioux fan callin' 'em as he sees 'em.

Honestly, no offense to Mr Noterman but, I doubt Ranfranz will be on the opening day roster. But who knows maybe he will, from what I hear he is a great kid but I thought he might have played himself out of job after he blew it against Mankato last season...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jake sitting on the bench with a clipboard the next two season if he doesn't play more consistently. I know Lammy coming in next season is supposed to be the real deal as well as both of our freshmen goalies seem to have great credentials. I wounder if Bliaser will consider red shirting one of these two kids...

It's really surprising to see that Reichmuth is leading the poll. He's a good goalie, don't get me wrong, but where does this put CC? McElhinney manhandled the Sioux pretty darn good. Not only that, he did pretty well against the Gophers too, except in the Final Five.

As for Al Montoya, this guy is the real deal. I've never seen a freshman goaltender go to the Frozen Four as a starter. He nearly beat the Gophers, regardless of the score. Problem is for him, the Wolverines don't have the offense of the Gophers. Even one goal is a damaging lead last season.

I look for Michigan to be a sure bet in this season's Frozen Four. As for HE, I don't care. They'll lose anyways. ECAC is no factor. And who's going to go from the WCHA is a different thread.

It's really surprising to see that Reichmuth is leading the poll. He's a good goalie, don't get me wrong, but where does this put CC? McElhinney manhandled the Sioux pretty darn good. Not only that, he did pretty well against the Gophers too, except in the Final Five.

As for Al Montoya, this guy is the real deal. I've never seen a freshman goaltender go to the Frozen Four as a starter. He nearly beat the Gophers, regardless of the score. Problem is for him, the Wolverines don't have the offense of the Gophers. Even one goal is a damaging lead last season.

I look for Michigan to be a sure bet in this season's Frozen Four. As for HE, I don't care. They'll lose anyways. ECAC is no factor. And who's going to go from the WCHA is a different thread.

Ever hear of a guy by the name of Schweitzer? :D