SiouxSports.com Forum

recurring ss.com discussions

It's hard to market "nothing".
I'm not advocating marketing "nothing" I'm advocating marketing the University of North Dakota. Those insisting that UND needs a new moniker should "Fighting Sioux" be retired can be more accurately described as advocating "nothing" as they are doing so without knowledge of what that new moniker will be. It's like saying that one really needs to be married, but to whom one is married is of secondary if not trivial importance. A lot of the problem I have with a new moniker is that it will be largely the same people (SBoHE, Kelly, Faison, Alumni Association) responsible for screwing the pooch on the effort to retain "Fighting Sioux" making the selection. If "just the University of North Dakota" were to be one of the options for a popular poll for selecting a new moniker - with the various other names that have been bandied about comprising the rest of the possible selections - it is not at all unreasonable to expect that the "no moniker" option would garner the most votes.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way that UND will make an announcement before every game that bashes the NC$$. That would be committing a slow suicide. Don't you think that the NC$$ would find a way to put a stop to that, and maybe punish the University in some way?
The announcement would not be demeaning or confrontational, just factual. If Myles and his band of foaming-at-the-mouth pc stormtroopers don't want to have it known that they are responsible, then they should have thought that through before embarking upon their "catalyst for social change" campaign. That most definitely would have been my preference.

I'm not advocating marketing "nothing" I'm advocating marketing the University of North Dakota. Those insisting that UND needs a new moniker should "Fighting Sioux" be retired can be more accurately described as advocating "nothing" as they are doing so without knowledge of what that new minker will be. It's like saying that one really needs to be married, but to whom one is married is of secondary if not trivial importance. A lot of the problem I have with a new moniker is that it will be largely the same people (SBoHE, Kelly, Faison, Alumni Association) responsible for screwing the pooch on the effort to retain "Fighting Sioux" making the selection. If "just the University of North Dakota" were to be one of the options for a popular poll for selecting a new moniker - with the various other names that have been bandied about comprising the rest of the possible selections - it is not at all unreasonable to expect that the "no moniker" option would garner the most votes.

What could Kelley and Faison have done better in their first ten months?

What could Kelley and Faison have done better in their first ten months?
I expected and would have very much appreciated an honest, thoughtful and creative effort to try to retain the name. Instead (I can't prove it of course), I have the distinct impression that both of them wanted the name to go away as quickly as possible in order to make their lives and jobs easier.

This thread has probably run its course but I'm strongly in favor of no new name and just going with North Dakota.

1. It's forward thinking and innovative. We can be the first to say we don't need a logo/name to identify who we are, We are North Dakota!

2. It gives a cooling off period if sometime down the road there is an inniative to come up with a new name.

3. It would be probably bother "some other school" if UND took ownership of the name North Dakota.

4. It promotes the state.

5. I'll say it again - imagine an arena full of fans chanting "We are North Dakota!".

I will continue to wear my Sioux garb to every game and probably invest in new clothing before they go away.

I expected and would have very much appreciated an honest, thoughtful and creative effort to try to retain the name. Instead (I can't prove it of course), I have the distinct impression that both of them wanted the name to go away as quickly as possible in order to make their lives and jobs easier.

They inherited the NCAA settlement. RHHT had absolutely no intention of having constructive dialogue. So I really don't blame them for focusing efforts on other matters.

We are North Dakota!

I will continue to wear my Sioux garb to every game and probably invest in new clothing before they go away.

We are one (1). I too will continue to wear my Sioux gear until it wears out. Like I said earlier, if someone tells me

I can't wear it I am going to tell them to come and get it.

They inherited the NCAA settlement. RHHT had absolutely no intention of having constructive dialogue. So I really don't blame them for focusing efforts on other matters.
I agree, they inherited it, and was as good as UND was going to get as the NCAA membership foolishly voted to give Brand carte blanche shortly thereafter. The agreement did afford some opportunity to work to retain the name and I think most of that opportunity has been squandered. I agree Ron McNeil was a substantial obstacle, but it seems that instead of trying, they just threw their hands in the air and gave up. I realize a victorious conclusion was not probable but it's all very disappointing just the same. If you don't at least try, you are sure to fail.