SiouxSports.com Forum

State Board

siouxper_tex

I understand this, my point was that with the D1 move, we had time to exhaust all options on this topic. Now because the New Administration is feeling pressure from somewhere, we have escalated the process and why...? UND would not be able to host a D1AA Football playoff game until 2012 if all the stars came in alignment perfectly anyway.

For the record, I am not a staunch supporter of the Logo and Nickname. I am however a UND Sports enthusiast and support the Athletes and Coaches, I maybe in the minority (I will always continue to give and support), but by not exhausting all the available options till the end, the majority who want the Logo and Nickname could very well hinder the support UND needs.

I agree, but what makes anyone think that if we could not be consistently competitive at the level we were at in D2, or in transition, that we will ever be able to be competitive at the D1 level...? In a conference (Summit) that is perhaps the worst D1 conference in America, no matter how much money we save on travel, most people only will support wining programs. I do not believe for a minute that ths "Summit" is where the future of UND Athletics lies.

I guess our trophy cases were just too full where we were at.

The worst DI conference? I would love to see the logic behind that statement. Most indy schools are greatful to get into a conference, the reaction here to the Summit is borderline unbelievable.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but what makes anyone think that if we could not be consistently competitive at the level we were at in D2, or in transition, that we will ever be able to be competitive at the D1 level...? In a conference (Summit) that is perhaps the worst D1 conference in America, no matter how much money we save on travel, most people only will support wining programs. I do not believe for a minute that ths "Summit" is where the future of UND Athletics lies.

I guess our trophy cases were just too full where we were at.

I guess it depends on a person's definition of competitive. I feel UND will eventually have the ability to consistently challenge for Summit League Championships year in and year out. In doing so they will qualify for NCAA post season tournaments. Will they win many DI championships...not likely. My preference is that UND is competing with the best that college athletics has to offer. Occasionally we will win a big game, make the dance, possibly win a few game in a tournament, etc. In doing so, I feel we will get more recognition then we ever did at DII. DII was good situation 10+ years ago...but with the way every other one of our peer institutions was moving up, it was inevitable that we would have to as well. Do you really think UND alumni, students, and fans would like to see us continue playing the U Mary's, Sioux Falls College, Bemidji St. etc? Not only that, but the small schools have kept voting to lower scholarship levels for football so that they could compete. I also believe that South Dakota and North Dakota were the last two Flagship schools playing at the DII level.

As far as being in the Summit...the league may not be one of the more highly regarded mid-major conferences right now. But hopefully if we are admitted, we play a part in strenghing the conference and adding to it's credibility. Both NDSU and SDSU have begun to strengthen that conference already. With the four Dakota Schools as the core of the conference hopefully it will evolve into something similar to the Old NCC...by which I mean a high mid-major conference. It won't happen over night, but I feel the conference has the capability of doing so.

Again, I was happy where we were at rooting for local ND and Minnesota kids, ask how the merry go round of Jail time for the Bison is going now with the new breed of scholarship Athlete they have to bring in, and soon, so will we.

Anyone remember Rocky Hager, didn't his DII team have some issues. Oh, but all DII kids are saints.

This year NDSU had a MN kid named the academic all-american of the year in men's basketball, the basketball's team GPA is very high as well, what a terrible breed of student athletes they have been. I'm sure SDSU feels the same way about their women's team, they were what ranked in the top 25 for most of the year and had one of the highest team GPA's in the country. I could go on and on Walrus. Local kids have been performing great ever since NDSU went DI, people said it couldn't be done, but it is.

You can sulk all you want because you wanted UND to be in DII forever, I get the big fish in the small pond thing, but you are walking down a slippery slope with the above comment.

Even if the "Summit" becomes or resembles the Old NCC, we are light years away, (will never-imo) from ever competing for a National Title in any sport other than Football which plays in a lower D1 (D1AA) and Hockey. Like you said just one's perception of success.....?

Even if the "Summit" becomes or resembles the Old NCC, we are light years away, (will never-imo) from ever competing for a National Title in any sport other than Football which plays in a lower D1 (D1AA) and Hockey. Like you said just one's perception of success.....?

UND will never be the greatest academic institution, but yet you still strive to be the best(at least I hope so). If you are going to compete at the highest level academically, why not do it athletically as well? Where are your peers? I can tell you right now they aren't in DII anymore.

That doesn't lessen the student-athlete's experience at UND, in my opinion. The Dakota flagships, the Montana flagships, Western Illinois, Oral Roberts, Southern Utah, etc. makes for a far more attractive schedule for the fans and athletes than the likes of Minot State, MSU-Moorhead, and Winona State. To me it's about competing with peer schools and it should have been a complete no brainer once Northern Colorado started the dominos rolling.

The worst DI conference? I would love to see the logic behind that statement. Most indy schools are greatful to get into a conference, the reaction here to the Summit is borderline unbelievable.

When you compare the WCHA to the Summit league I don't think it's even close I think one could make the argument that the Missori Valley is a superior conference to the Summit league, but it is only a football conference. Here is an analogy I would use to describe the Summit league, it's 2 oclock your leaving the bar and the last girl in the bar is willing to go home with you and she isn't very pretty but she is the only option and were begging to go home with her. ------Flame away if you like.

Actually I said one persons perception of being "competitive" and as others have since stated, we will now have the ability to play against more of our peer institutions. 10+ years ago...DII was still an ok place to be not so much since then...

When you compare the WCHA to the Summit league I don't think it's even close I think one could make the argument that the Missori Valley is a superior conference to the Summit league. Here is an analogy I would use to describe the Summit league, it's 2 oclock your leaving the bar and the last girl in the bar is willing to go home with you and she isn't very pretty but she is the only option and were begging to go home with her. ------Flame away if you like.

Maybe we should hold out for the Big Ten expansion? :D:silly:

Back on Topic.....

Does anyone have any insights to why this decision deadline was moved up.....?

Since we are D1 and need as much support as possible, should we have no exhausted all possibilites, to keep supporters on board...?

The Summit did not give us a deadline. Why now....?

The Engelstad's seem concerned to, by the lack of conviction.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/118913/

Back on Topic.....

Since we are D1 and need as much support as possible, should we have no exhausted all possibilites, to keep supporters on board...?

I would say why don't go ask some of the coaches of Baseball, Basketball for a start. I would wonder if they are the ones pushing and driving this?

I think it is a fair question.

When you compare the WCHA to the Summit league I don't think it's even close I think one could make the argument that the Missori Valley is a superior conference to the Summit league.

Lets be reasonable here, the WCHA has Big 10 teams in it, and the MVFC is one of the top mid-major conferences in the country. You don't just walk into those situations, you either build them or prove you belong and get an invite into them. Douple, who gets blasted here considerably, wants UND because he is trying to build.

The Summit has long been a conference with no indentity and he is trying to build a footprint and the Dakota core is a big part of that. With the four Dakota school the Summit is a slam dunk over the Big Sky, it will be a mid-major conference on the rise.

Back on Topic.....

We're going to see what Kelley is made of from a leadership perspective, because this thing has the potential to become divisive beyond belief, and I'm pretty concerned about it.

Here is an analogy I would use to describe the Summit league, it's 2 oclock your leaving the bar and the last girl in the bar is willing to go home with you and she isn't very pretty but she is the only option and were begging to go home with her. ------Flame away if you like.

I'm going to be real. All the other women have died, and the Summit is all that is left. UND is one of the most isolated DI schools in the country, there are no bars, this is your only option unless you want to be alone forever.

For the record I thought UND should have let the timeline play itself out, I still don't see the rush, and I don't care enough to hypothsize why there is a rush. The only thing I will say is that the Summit is your only option and really it isn't that horrible of an option. The conference is easily on par with the Big Sky.

I'm going to be real. All the other women have died, and the Summit is all that is left. UND is one of the most isolated DI schools in the country, there are no bars, this is your only option unless you want to be alone forever.

For the record I thought UND should have let the timeline play itself out, I still don't see the rush, and I don't care enough to hypothsize why there is a rush. The only thing I will say is that the Summit is your only option and really it isn't that horrible of an option. The conference is easily on par with the Big Sky.

Like I have said before, and I am sure there are others that feel this way: The Summit League is a second rate conference filled with a bunch of unimpressive teams outside of NDSU, SDSU and South Dakota. Does the university really want to give up it's storied name just for a chance to be in a mediocre mid major? There is no guarantee that they will accept UND even if they drop the Fighting Sioux name. If you think I am wrong, take a look at the impressive schools in this conference; I bet Oakland, Oral Roberts, Southern Utah, Western Illinois, Centenary, IPFW, is really going to fill up the Betty. Sign me up for season tickets right now.

The only benifit I see is South Dakota, SDSU, and NDSU and they will fill up the betty I don't see that with the other schools.

The only benifit I see is South Dakota, SDSU, and NDSU and they will fill up the betty I don't see that with the other schools.

I didn't see it either but fans have found out that a few schools have pretty good basketball programs(Oakland and ORU) and they show up to those games. There are some dogs, I'll admit that, but it is improving. Hopefully Denver can be brought in as well, I'm sure that name would attract some attention up in GF.

I don't think it is worth it to give up your name for a spot in any league, I certainly hope there was more to the board's decision than that.

It's not a copyright issue, but a trademark issue. To maintain a trademark, the owner has to periodically certify the mark is still used in commerce. If the owner surrenders the mark or does not use it commerce, they generally lose their rights to it.

I can tell you that the University of Illinois has
supposedly
licensed the very familiar drawing of Chief Illiniwek to a specialty manufacturer of retro clothing.

I say
supposedly
because I haven't seen any product; and neither has anyone who I talk with (and we're all pretty interested consumers).

Just to clarify, I'm talking about people that donate major cash to UND. It is obviously a divisive issue amongst the general public already.

I guess I have to believe that the BOT already knows how the big $$ people think. I'm certainly of the opinion that the major donors have more ways to get their feelings known to the Board than the average fan. And I really think that the big $$ group are among the strongest supporters of the nickname.

Long and short of it, I think the Board knows how these people feel, and they're rolling the dice: the Board is gambling that the major donors will "get over it".

If the people on this board think that the nickname is more important than real conference affilication, they are dead wrong. If they think UND can make it work in the Great West, or that other conferences will come calling to the Canada border, dead wrong again. If you think that the nickname is the most important thing, you might as well stick a fork in every program you have except Hockey. If you think that a nickname is more important than baseball, volleyball, soccer, softball, track&field, etc . . . get your DII application ready because you will not be able to recruit as athletes will choose ncaa eligible options. Yeah, I expect everyone to fight for the nickname and thumb their nose at trading the nickname for a Summit bid . . . but let's face it, if you want to be DI it's your only option unless you can get all your sports into the WCHA. The SBoHE will be burned at the stake for their decision, but they are actually doing UND a favor. I really believe that most people actually know that, it just isn't easy to swallow.