SiouxSports.com Forum

updated roster

schmidtdoggydog

I don't know if it is true or not but I heard from a former womens hockey player that Brandt left UND to go to Minot State. If this is true we would be left with 2 freshman goalies unless Ranfranz comes back. That would put huge pressure on them and we might be in the same boat as last year, good offense and Defense but not much for goalies.

Is this roster complete? Does it include all walk-ons that may have tried out and made the team? Did they have open try outs for the team this year?

Anybody have any info on Fabian? I see his bio said he ranked 6th on his team in scoring. Was he brought in for his defensive play? Notice he did have a +17, thats got to be worth something.

I don't know if it is true or not but I heard from a former womens hockey player that Brandt left UND to go to Minot State.  If this is true we would be left with 2 freshman goalies unless Ranfranz comes back.  That would put huge pressure on them and we might be in the same boat as last year, good offense and Defense but not much for goalies.

Not true. You might want to check your source.

Also notice that Ranfranz and Sofie aren't here this season. I think they are talking about the Basketball player.

There are only six defensemen listed, not including Marvin, who is listed as F/D. For that reason, I hope it's not complete, and that Foyt is still in the running for a walk-on D spot.

I understood that they were not having open tryouts, but that there were a few invited walk-ons (including Foyt) attempting to make the team.

Fabian is supposed to be a character guy, and he's big. I remember his coach last year telling the Topeka paper that he had a professional future in the game. His junior numbers certainly aren't overwhelming, so we'll hope for the best.

I'm surprised to see Porter's hometown listed as Thunder Bay, because I recall that he played on a US national team at some point in the past.

It's a big team that won't get pushed around. Let's hope they can hit like big guys and skate like little guys.

There are only six defensemen listed, not including Marvin, who is listed as F/D. 

I corrected my post. Geez, I can't even count. I find it interesting that most guys are listed as "forward" but McMahon is listed as "center".

I think Marvin will be mainly playing D with those numbers.

I don't know if it is true or not but I heard from a former womens hockey player that Brandt left UND to go to Minot State. If this is true we would be left with 2 freshman goalies unless Ranfranz comes back. That would put huge pressure on them and we might be in the same boat as last year, good offense and Defense but not much for goalies.

That would be Brandt the basketball player :D

"Some offseason injuries to the defensive corps leave the Sioux short at that position as they open on-ice practices Monday.

But the corps of returning defensemen is very good, headed by Andy Schneider, Matt Jones, Nick Fuher and Matt Greene. Matt Smaby, an imposing 6-foot-5, 228-pound defenseman, could move quickly into the picture.

The Sioux won't be favored in the WCHA - that honor will belong to Minnesota, winner of the last two NCAA championships.

But if injury concerns on defense cure themselves and the goaltending is solid, UND has enough offensive punch to be as good as anyone.

"I don't know if this is our year or not," Blais said, "because I think we could be really good next year. But so much of how a season goes depends on team chemistry, leadership and other variables."

And those won't begin to sort themselves out until Monday, when the Sioux take the ice in preparation for their Oct. 4 home opener against Minn.-Duluth in the Hall of Fame game."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is an excerpt from Sunday's Herald. A couple of things that caught my attention were some offseason injuries to the defensive corp. & Blais' comment about being unsure if this is our year but that next year could be really good. The season hasn't even started yet & we're already short at defense?? (It didn't say who had injuries) I guess Smaby was eating his Wheaties over the summer as he bulked up to 228lbs. :D "Mr. Smaby, introduce Mr. Vanek to the plexiglass"

No mention of captains or assistant captains...

Matt Greene suffered an ankle injury last summer playing softball right before the Oilers held their summer camp for prospects. Perhaps he is still suffering some lingering effects from that injury.

As for not naming the injured, according to the radio broadcasters commentary during the Mesa State football game and a recent article in the GF Herald, UND has adopted a policy whereby they will not release information regarding specific players injuries.

Perhaps another poster has more information and can elaborate.