SiouxSports.com Forum

Good article from The Fargo Forum

WYOBISONMAN

Would it help NDSU, a thought that burns at the very core of die-hard Sioux fans? Yes.

But it would also help UND. There would be one less Northern State or Nebraska-Kearney or, God forbid, Minnesota-Crookston on the schedule and at least one big game to anticipate.

McFeely's got it all wrong here. The average 'SUer hates UND much more than the average UNDer hates 'SU, IMHO.

Also, what's the sudden badmouthing of UND's schedule all about? It's not like 'SU hasn't frequently scheduled that powerhouse Moorhead State.

McFeely is right about one thing though. The game is more important to 'SU than it is to UND. Thomas is just trying to find out how much more important. He'll sign, but only after he feels he's gotten all he can out of 'SU. That's just looking out for #1.

Also, what's the sudden badmouthing of UND's schedule all about? It's not like 'SU hasn't frequently scheduled that powerhouse Moorhead State.

NDSU only played Minnesota State-Moorhead twice. It was a three year deal that both sides thought was benificial to cut the contract short.

I would actually argue the point on the game being more important to NDSU. As a D1AA school NDSU will be able to atract much better opponents than UND will be able to attract. At that point this game becomes more important to UND. The quality opponents coming to NDSU will put fannies in the Fargodome seats and money in the bank.

Does UND need this game for financial reasons? Of course not. 3,000 tickets for one football game is not a big deal. The Sioux need to play the Bison for what moral? The Bison only have to look forward to is playing the Sioux in football and now that that is in jeopardy they'll have nothing. The Sioux on the otherhand have always waited to play the gophers in hockey. It's no doubt the Bison need the game more. I agree with DamStrait the average UND'er doesn't care as much about the game than NDSU. This may be due to the fact that UND is more nationally known and more of it's student body comes from around the nation and globe.

Clayton, this board and the bisonville board have a search function. If you use it (look for McFeel not McFeeley), you'll see that no NDSU fan has claimed that McFeeley is a UND fan. In both boards you'll see Bison fans *defending* McFeeley after he's been critical of NDSU - even if they don't agree with him.

OTOH, there are many cases where UND fans have claimed that McFeeley is a big old Bison homer. If you've done the search, you'll already know by then just how wrong they've been.

I do wish McFeeley would leave NDSU's opponents alone, including UND. Ripping on NDSU is bad enough but it makes NDSU look bad to have a guy saying that TAMUK, Angelo State, and Delta State are crappy programs.

-------------------

DamStrait, I think that you're right. The average NDSU fan does "hate" UND more - at least when I was at NDSU. In my own humble opinion though, UND's administration is much more willing to be petty than NDSU's administration. My favorite examples lately are Glas's comments about stopping the rivalry just to show NDSU a thing or two and a story on UND's parking situation in which the UND administrator couldn't even bring himself to say NDSU, he had to resort to "Our sister university to the south charges twice what we do."

...in which the UND administrator couldn't even bring himself to say NDSU, he had to resort to "Our sister university to the south charges twice what we do."

Well, NDSU is like an annoying little sister who won't quit whining when her big brother doesn't agree with her stupid little ideas, so I don't really see where there is a problem. :D:huh:

Anything McFeely writes about UND should be taken with a grain of salt, which is the rough equivalent of his grey matter. He favors UND changing its name, UND going D1 in the same head-long/half-assed manner as 'SU and really hasn't a clue of anything in general.

Losing the UND-NDSU rivalry will hurt both schools intially. (I do expect UND to go D1, but more as result of a NC$$ squeeze than a bunch of over-inflated egos seeking to compensate for a rival getting more press than them.) But more likely 'SU will have more problems in scheduling and revenue as its D1AA brethern probably would be less likely to travel to Fargo unless there was some serious $$$ on the table. Then again, it may actually pull some sort of cobbled conference together so it can visit the fine areas of Utah, Cali, Idaho and wherever. Moreover, most D1AA programs' that 'SU will most likely play initially, with or without a conference, don't have many fans/alums located within a fair traveling distance of Fargo, so the FloodDome loses that revenue too. Contrast that with most NCC programs who are located within a few hours of each other, by and large.

Yep....UND will really draw in those football crowds.

Montana would out draw you guys at the Fargodome.......

You're becoming a bit irrational in your Sioux hating.

UND visiting has sold out the FargoDome, I'd call that drawing in the football crowds. Further, since Sioux games have sold out the Fargodome, how could Montana outdraw that?

I'm not saying that NDSU can't get additional sellouts from some of its newly scheduled competition, but that would be no reason to discontinue bringing in the high probability sellout from a contest against UND. NDSU's administrators aren't so irrationally Sioux-hating as so many of their fans that they would want to give up that kind of the revenue out of hatred or pride, especially after putting themselves a situation in which they desperately need increasing revenue.

The idea of UND benefiting more than NDSU form continuing to play them is absurd. If McFeeley believes this and other Bison fans believe this, then they are drinking the same Kool-Aid that Chapman and Taylor are giving them.

I would love to see the rivalry continue, but Bison fans and the Fargo media coming out and saying that UND needs the Bison is a stretch. Does NDSU and UND need each other? Only to fill the seats of their stadiums a couple times a year. UND doesn't get as much because they don't have nearly as big as stadium. NDSU stands to benefit more from a sellout.

That article actually made me start laughing out loud.