SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League football?

MplsBison

Assuming UND and USD are added, the Summit League would have the required 6 football members to get an auto-bid to the FCS tournament:

NDSU

UND

SDSU

USD

Western Ill

Southern Utah

I wonder if the Summit League would be able to force NDSU/SDSU to play in the league instead of the MVFC, though?

The Summitt could also add Cal Poly and UC Davis as affiliate members to get to 8. That would look like a pretty good conference. In fact it may be better than the Valley

True, but that might excess travel.

And Davis/Poly way still want to make a go of it in the Great West (try to add San Diego, Pacific restart, Bakersfield restart, etc.).

Not that traveling to SUU is a picnic, but they're in for all sports (at least for now).

This is the only possible scenario where I could see NDSU & SDSU voting against UND and/or USD getting into the Summit. If there is currently a rule stating that if a certain number of conference members sponsor a sport, the conference must sponsor it, that rule would have to be amended to exclude football before the xDSUs and WIU would vote to include the UxDs. There is no way NDSU, SDSU & WIU will allow themselves to be dragged out of the MVFC.

This is the only possible scenario where I could see NDSU & SDSU voting against UND and/or USD getting into the Summit. If there is currently a rule stating that if a certain number of conference members sponsor a sport, the conference must sponsor it, that rule would have to be amended to exclude football before the xDSUs and WIU would vote to include the UxDs. There is no way NDSU, SDSU & WIU will allow themselves to be dragged out of the MVFC.

And then when UND and USD are added on a 7-3 vote?

I honestly can see this happening. NDSU, SDSU and WIU have no where else to go for bball. They're stuck with the Summit for now and if the Summit says, you WILL play football in the Summit, that's just the way it is.

And then when UND and USD are added on a 7-3 vote?

I honestly can see this happening. NDSU, SDSU and WIU have no where else to go for bball. They're stuck with the Summit for now and if the Summit says, you WILL play football in the Summit, that's just the way it is.

I can see the above mentioned joining the Valley for all sports before a Summit football league.

What are the chances that the Valley wants to add NDSU, SDSU and WIU for bball vs. the chances that the Summit wants to add UND and USD for bball?

Depends on the timeframe. Short-term, the latter is more plausible of course. Long-term, I could see the former happening.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there is about an equal chance of Mplsbison's Summit League Football scenario playing out as there is that North Dakota will get an invitation to the Big 10.

When I bought NCAA Football 2003, they kicked Northwestern out of the conference to accomodate us. :silly:

Two things...

1) I feel like the NDSU run to the big Dance has brought UND and NDSU closer than it has been in any time before the now infamous "press conference." This is a good thing. Perhaps, if NDSU can win a game in the NCAA followed by a Sioux national championship in Hockey, the relationship can be further repaired. I have found it odd that the two schools bicker like brothers, but if one school does something that causes national attention (good or bad) the other school stands up for their North Dakota brethern.

2) The only way a Summit Football style conference happens is if a new coference is born. Stick with me here.... Lets say Minnesota State goes DI and is added to the Summit eventually. (assuming UND and USD are shoe ins at this point) I believe the current rule is that a league gets an auto bid to the Dance if 7 core members have played together in the same league for two years. Once Minnesota State become a core member, the five schools band together in a league vote to add Montana State and Montana. After two years, the 7 schools break away and form the Big North and add Northern Iowa. These would all be non commuter flagship schools and would be a conference that could last the next 100 years. Will it ever happen? No, but it is fun to speculate.

Big North (aka the league that makes to much sense to ever happen)

NDSU

UND

SDSU

USD

Montana

Montana State

Minnesota State

Northern Iowa

"schools that could be considered at some point"

UNC

Denver

St Cloud

Any Wisconsin school that moves up to play Football in FCS

UNO

Two things...

1) I feel like the NDSU run to the big Dance has brought UND and NDSU closer than it has been in any time before the now infamous "press conferene." This is a good thing. Perhaps, if NDSU can win a game in the NCAA followed by a Sioux national championship in Hockey the relationship can be further repaired.

2) The only way a Summit Football conference happens is if a new coference is born. Stick with me here.... Lets say Minnesota State goes DI and is added to the Summit eventually. I believe the current rule is that a league gets an auto bid to the Dance if 7 core members have played together in the same league for two years. Once Minnesota State become a core member, the five schools band together in a league vote to add Montana State and Montana. After two years, the 7 schools break away and form the Big North and add Northern Iowa. These would all be non commuter flagship schools and would be a conference that could last the next 100 years. Will it ever happen? No, but it is fun to speculate.

Big North (aka the league that makes to much sense to ever happen)

NDSU

UND

SDSU

USD

Montana

Montana State

Minnesota State

Northern Iowa

Sorry, the autobid rule doesn't work that way. The six core institutions have to compete together for five years in conference play for the autobid. That's why the CAA was able to get the A10's football autobid. The CAA football schools had played together in the A10 for more than two years(rules are different for FCS football) before switching conferences as a group. For example, say six members of the Big East broke away and grabbed a member of the ACC. The BE would keep its autobid because there were still more than six members left. The new conference would also get an autobid because they too satisfy the requirements. The Big East is just about the only conference big enough to do this. The 12-team conferences can technically do it, but they would have to split perfectly down the middle and each add at least one new member. Since FBS requires 8 football playing schools in a conference, splitting most 12-team conferences while keeping the autobids would be a nightmare.

Assuming UND and USD are added, the Summit League would have the required 6 football members to get an auto-bid to the FCS tournament:

NDSU

UND

SDSU

USD

Western Ill

Southern Utah

I wonder if the Summit League would be able to force NDSU/SDSU to play in the league instead of the MVFC, though?

:D :D