SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Playoff Match ups

AZSIOUX

Oops, sorry, I posted that over on the other thread too. Didn't check this thread first.

Yes, how will WCH spin this? And what are his thoughts on his pre-season prediction of Duncan not even getting 10 goals the entire year because Oshie and Toews were gone?

:whistling:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man this kid likes to knee others :whistling:

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Mankato's Bruess suspended again

For the second time in a month, Mankato forward Trevor Bruess has been suspended.

The WCHA announced he has been suspended for one game because of his actions in last Saturday's league game against St. Cloud State. In that game, Bruess had a pair of kneeing penalties -- one a five-minute major.

The suspension will be served during Friday's first-round playoff series game against Wisconsin.

Bruess also was suspended for his actions during a Saturday night game against UND on Feb. 14. In that game, Bruess also was penalized for kneeing. In another unpenalized incident, he took Sioux defenseman Derrick LaPoint into the boards from behind. LaPoint broke both bones in his leg and is out for the season.

I sense a pattern.... :blush:

Ok, while there is NO possible way I can do as well predicting the first round 2 years ago, here goes this years attempt...

UND vs. Tech- Sioux sweep. 'nuff said.

DU vs UAA- While I would love to see the Dasher Troll's team get beat out, they make it, winning in 3. UAA pulls off one win on Saturday, in OT.

UW vs. MSUM- The BADgers sweep, but only 'cause Connely stands on his head for 2 games, and then implodes in the Final 5.

CC vs. Duluth - The Dawgs in 3. Scott Sandelin wills his boys to the Final Five, if only to save his job.

MN vs SCSU- As much as I'd LOVE to see a Final 5 without the Goofers, that ain't gonna happen. Due to the powers that be, and Alex Kangas playing JUST WELL ENOUGH, the squeak it out in 3 games. I can pretty much PROMISE this series will hinge on at LEAST ONE controversial referee call.

GO SIOUX!!!

man this kid likes to knee others :silly:

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Mankato's Bruess suspended again

For the second time in a month, Mankato forward Trevor Bruess has been suspended.

The WCHA announced he has been suspended for one game because of his actions in last Saturday's league game against St. Cloud State. In that game, Bruess had a pair of kneeing penalties -- one a five-minute major.

The suspension will be served during Friday's first-round playoff series game against Wisconsin.

Bruess also was suspended for his actions during a Saturday night game against UND on Feb. 14. In that game, Bruess also was penalized for kneeing. In another unpenalized incident, he took Sioux defenseman Derrick LaPoint into the boards from behind. LaPoint broke both bones in his leg and is out for the season.

What is it going to take to have Bruess suspended for a period of time so it sinks in??? Kill somebody... The kids give their heart. sole and years of sacrifices to get in the Division one programs and then they get Taken out by a&%**^$#@&% GOON and loose a season.

VBL

I thought he might pretty much ignore it like the first time. But I guess he at least mentioned it. Surprisingly, his whining about the big bad Sioux didn't appear anywhere in the post.

I read his site and he wasn't very happy about the call and thought it was all reputation.

But from what I have heard and read is sounds like it was warranted.

I would love that Final Five but I don't see it happening. MAYBE AA takes out Denver. Life isn't good enough for SCSU to beat MN, and Duluth appears to be doing a late season swoon and is playing CC on the road.

Agree with the fact SCSU has no shot and UMD's shot isn't much better. If there is an upset, 'Kato over WI.

Agree with the fact SCSU has no shot and UMD's shot isn't much better. If there is an upset, 'Kato over WI.

I dunno if they can beat the BADgers in Madtown or not?

I just don't see SCSU beating the Goofs because they just haven't played well against

them, that being said it wouldn't surprise me if Wesloski is better than Kangas this weekend.

Posted this in the other thread but it's more applicable here...

#1 UND vs. #10 Michigan Tech - UND wins in 2

-Combine UND being on a tear with Michigan Tech being the worst team in college hockey and you have a sure sweep. Being at home won't hurt them either. I can see Tech MAYBE stealing a game by getting a early lead on some fluke goals and then just being super defensive the rest of the game, but I don't see that outcome as very likely. I don't think much of an explanation is really needed here, MTU is just flat-out outmatched.

#2 Denver vs. #9 AA - DU wins in 3

-I really see this as being a close series. Sweeping UMD gives AA some big time momentum going into this series, and DU is coming off a hard fought game with CC. Although I think DU is more talented, AA will ride that momentum and steal at least one win I think. I could actually see them pulling off a miracle and winning this series.

#3 BADgers vs. #8 Mankato - Wisconsin wins in 2

-However much I hate thinking that the BADgers might sweep Mankato, I see it happening. Connelley played great last night from what I saw, and Wisco's D looked very solid. Mankato is a very streaky team and Zacharias might steal one for them, but I'm not feelin it. Badgers sweep.

#4 CC vs. #7 UMD - UMD wins in 3

-Count me as someone who is thoroughly unimpressed with CC. Bachman has been a roller coaster, and I think Stalock is the better goalie this year. Duluth will be focused on shutting down that killer top line of CC, and if they can do that, I think Stalock can handle the rest. I see a low scoring series here, with all the games being decided by a goal or two. That being said, UMD might be down and out after AA and they could come out and get crushed both games. This is the hardest one for me to pick.

#5 GOPHERS vs. #6 St. Clown - GOPHERS win in 2

-Although it was only MTU, Kangas getting a shut out and the D playing like they did early in the season should give both Kangas and the team some much needed confidence. Being 4-0 against SCSU this year doesn't hurt either, and the Gophers will be HUNGRY to win these games. If this was in St. Cloud, I could see a 3 game series and the winner being either team, but Mariucci will be rocking and the Gophers are so much better at home than they are on the road. Friday: 5-4 Gophers, Saturday: 3-0 Gophers.

That would mean the play in game is:

#5 GOPHERS vs. #7 UMD

-I think the Gophers have UMD's number this year, and match up great with them. I was actually hoping we would play them instead of the Huskies, but I think UMD will be beat up after a tough series with CC.

And then there was 4...

#5 GOPHERS vs. #1 NORTH DAKOTA

-The homer in me really wants to pick the Gophers, but I just can't do it so I'm going to make an argument for both teams...

Minnesota: Obviously revenge is going to be a huge factor here. We got stomped in every way possible in the 2 games up in Grand Forks, and that was when Kangas went into his infamous 2nd half sophomore slump. I could see him standing on his head and the Gophers top line taking over like I thought they would the first time around. The Gophers also are very very good at the X.

North Dakota: The #1 seed doesn't lie, and the Sioux are peaking at the right time, just like they usually do. They OWNED us the first time around, and for all I know that could happen again. The Sioux are much deeper than the Gophers, and that's going to cause a problem for us.

-Really, it's a rivalry game with so much on the line...if this happens, it can really go either way, records aside.

#3 BADgers vs. #2 DU

-I like the BADgers here. They have so much talent on D, and that talent will finally emerge on the big stage. I'm also not terribly impressed with DU, and I know I'll get ripped for saying that. I hate the BADgers, but something in my gut tells me they will get it done.

Then the Championship...

-If my scenario plays out, I see the winner of UND/Minnesota beating Wisconsin. UND is just plain better than them, and I thought Minnesota was the better team for the majority of the games where we got swept at Mariucci. That being said, Minnesota is probably in the tournament no matter what if they make it to the championship game, so I could see the Gophs coming out terribly flat.

Just my opinion obviously, and I know many of you will disagree. Take it for what it's worth (not much), but I'll take some constructive criticism or arguments if you have them.

Well I got all 5 series right, I was just off by 2 games on 2 of them....HOLLA!

Lets see how the rest of my predictions go!