SiouxSports.com Forum

Crookston rivalry in jeopardy

jimdahl

This just proves how bad the NSIC is. UND proves nothing by demolishing UMC, and why would someone want to pay good money to watch a sleeper like that, I chose to go Goose hunting instead. IF we are going to play an NSIC team lets at least play BSU or UMD. In fact UMC doesn't belong on the same field as UND. UMC couldn't beat most division III opponents...

In looking at the scores from yesterdays games, Minnesota Morris, SW State, UMC, Moorhead State got killed in Non-Conference football games, Moorhead State lost to a mediocre Division IIII team. Division Two football is slowly becoming a very poor brand of Football, UND maybe should look to moving up to Division 1AA too.

From what Chris Mussman said on the radio the other day, they tried to get Duluth on the schedule. They even offered to play in Duluth, but Duluth didn't want to. After all, Duluth made the playoffs without playing much stiff competition, why would they want to jeopardize that this year? They can't avoid the Sioux next year though.

From what Chris Mussman said on the radio the other day, they tried to get Duluth on the schedule.  They even offered to play in Duluth, but Duluth didn't want to.  After all, Duluth made the playoffs without playing much stiff competition, why would they want to jeopardize that this year?  They can't avoid the Sioux next year though.

I've heard the same thing. I think UMD has built a pretty good program and they will be a nice addition to the NCC. But it will be interesting to see how they do when they're playing UND and UNO every year instead of just USD and Mankato. Up until now, the only really difficult regular season game they have in any given season has been against Winona. It's a whole other situation when you can be beaten on any given Saturday.

This is an excerpt from the UMC press release regarding Saturday's game:

The Golden Eagles hurt themselves in a game that started out in their favor. Key penalties and turnovers turned out to be drive stoppers in a game that was closer than the 59-0 score would indicate.

"Closer than the final score would indicate?" I really hope their SID was trying to be funny... :glare:

Sicatoka,

Do you know what the penalties were?

100 yards in penalties in a first game isn't terrible, especially if they were procedures or offsides. That's just first game jitters, and UND still has two more weeks before they need to have them worked out. If there was four or five holding or interference calls against UMC, it might be cause for concern. :glare:

UM-C at UND box score:

UND defense offside 5 yards

UND defense US 10 yards (what's "US"?)

UND special teams holding 36 yards (took away punt return for TD)

UND defense holding 10 yards

UND offense personal foul 15 yards

UND special teams illegal block 38 yards

UND offense holding 7 yards

Seeing those two monster penalties makes the yards sound better; of course, one took away a punt return that went the distance.

The offensive holding for seven yards looks strange. The play started at the 4, the hold happened at the 1; ten yards from the spot gives a seven yard penalty I guess.

Sicatoka,

The only guess I can come up with for US is Unsportsmanlike Conduct, but that would be a 15 yarder. Maybe it happened on the 20, so half the distance to the goal would make it 10. Wait a minute, that would mean that UMC got down to the Sioux 20 yard line. :glare: Did UMC even make it past the 50?

Division Two football is slowly becoming a very poor brand of Football, UND maybe should look to moving up to Division 1AA too.

I agree with you 99% :huh:

I think Kevin Fee summed it up in the Herald $16. to watch Crookston and $29. for the Bison game!

Maybe we are slowly being duped that they are planning to go D1aa. The gate prices are just about there.

And now the wellness center is being bumped up in cost and size?Hmmm something just doesn't add up.

Could some of our Bison fans tell me how much a Montana ticket was?And as hard as this is for a Sioux fan to say, nice job on the Griz... :glare:

Riverman,

I don't know how much their single game prices are, but season tickets for the Griz are $148 a seat. I think their booster section starts at about the 20. I think they sold between 17,000-19,000 season tickets.

I wouldn't call it being duped. I'd call it smart business sense. If they can get a sellout, why not charge as much as they can. Granted, I think somewhere arond $20-22 would be more reasonable, if they can get $29, so be it. I have seen a lot of other schools that charge a lot more for rivalry games.

Sicatoka,

The only guess I can come up with for US is Unsportsmanlike Conduct, but that would be a 15 yarder. Maybe it happened on the 20, so half the distance to the goal would make it 10. Wait a minute, that would mean that UMC got down to the Sioux 20 yard line. :glare: Did UMC even make it past the 50?

It was an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The way it happened is a UMC OLineman moved early and one of the UND DEs came across the line and planted him on his behind, getting the US penalty. They marked off the 5 yards against UMC, then the 15 against UND for a net of 10 yards.