SiouxSports.com Forum

Western Washington Drops Football

Let'sGoHawks!

I wonder if this could do anything to nudge Central Washington toward looking into DI. CWU has been a growing power in DII. WWU was a big rival of theirs. Eastern Washington was a big rival of theirs years ago. They would make a nice 6th team for the Great West.

And isn't their conference situation not that good since the NCC dissolved? You'd think their biggest rival dropping football combined with an already bad football confereence situation might have them take a close look at DI and the GWFC. I'm not sure whether there would be a viable DI conference for the rest of their sports though. But I agree Central Washington would make an excellent addition to the GWFC.

On the other hand, if Central Washington went Division I, they'd probably shoot for the Big Sky to renew their rivalry with Eastern Washington.

And isn't their conference situation not that good since the NCC dissolved? You'd think their biggest rival dropping football combined with an already bad football confereence situation might have them take a close look at DI and the GWFC. I'm not sure whether there would be a viable DI conference for the rest of their sports though. But I agree Central Washington would make an excellent addition to the GWFC.

On the other hand, if Central Washington went Division I, they'd probably shoot for the Big Sky to renew their rivalry with Eastern Washington.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the NCAA issue a moratorium against teams moving up to DI? I thought I saw that somewhere??

The moratorium is 4 years. UND made the last cut for avoiding it.

So I don't think Central could transition to DI in 2012-13.

They seem to be very identical school to Eastern Wash. The main difference being market, with EWU in theory being able to provide Spokane to the conf. Central is 110 miles from Seattle.

The moratorium is 4 years. UND made the last cut for avoiding it.

So I don't think Central could transition to DI in 2012-13.

They seem to be very identical school to Eastern Wash. The main difference being market, with EWU in theory being able to provide Spokane to the conf. Central is 110 miles from Seattle.

That's what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up Mpls! Holy crap, was I just civil to a Bison fan?? Aw, it's not so bad.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
As expected, a large group of WWU FB letterwinners and alumni are trying to save their team. It sounds like they are getting alot of support.

http://www.savewwufootball.com/

It is really sad the direction that football has taken in the western US. Hopefully they can get the school to keep the team around.

Yeah, from the sounds of things there, it sounds like the administration, and its brand spanking new president there, decided that they really didn't want the football team around anymore. They used the figures they had when from a year when they were flying out to the NCC schools every other weekend and tried to make it look like they using the economic downturn to ax the program.

I recommend taking a look at their website, and browsing some of the emails they've gotten from the administration. Seems their new president was kinda miffed about not having a big fancy welcoming ceremony thrown in his honor when he came to WWU. Personally, I wouldn't mind giving him an old fashion ceremony myself. One that involves a long 4x4, a couple of large lads, some rope and the moving of procidings to somewhere out of town. :lol: