SiouxSports.com Forum

Any word on the volleyball coach?

undVBfan

The thing that most amazes me, is that he did it with all Minnesota girls, and no one taller then 5'11"....He must be able to flat out Coach.

He is a great coach but college is more about recruiting than coaching. I'm not dismissing coaching, but it's SO much easier with great players. :sad: Height really matters when everything else is equal. And everything else is rarely ever equal. I'll take shorter players over taller "projects" every time. Coaches always seem to think they can teach everything but height but it doesn't work like that very often. The players need to be good to start with, then height is a bonus.

I'm not sure what a private school would pay a two-time national champ but I'm guessing it's better than what UND will pay. :)

We're probably looking at the first assistant from a mid-major, maybe a major school. We'll probably get some interest from some area coaches but not likely to be from anyone that will be a step up. We need some one with recruiting ties.

I liked Katy and Kari, personally and as coaches, but Jason would have been the way to go. He earned it with what he did with Maria. He has recruiting ties all over the country. Unfortunately for him, I think he was the wrong sex to get hired (not that anyone will admit that).

Over and out.

I was told one of two possible interviews is this guy....

http://timberwolves.gonorthwood.com/spotlight/?spotID=1810

Okay, maybe less than a mid-major assistant. This could work out out be a phenomenal hire but on the surface I'm not thrilled. But then again, we've gone from the possibility of being a D2 power (think football and basketball among others) to a team that shows up on the ESPN ticker where the rest of the world will say "Who the heck is UND?". Isn't D1 wonderful? I mean, other than because of the extra dollars we have to spend to be irrelevant in D1.

Any idea who's on the committee to select the candidates to be interviewed?

Okay, maybe less than a mid-major assistant. This could work out out be a phenomenal hire but on the surface I'm not thrilled. But then again, we've gone from the possibility of being a D2 power (think football and basketball among others) to a team that shows up on the ESPN ticker where the rest of the world will say "Who the heck is UND?". Isn't D1 wonderful? I mean, other than because of the extra dollars we have to spend to be irrelevant in D1.

Any idea who's on the committee to select the candidates to be interviewed?

If the D2 champion shows up on the ticker, give me a jingle. This is where the peer schools are...and we're way the hell behind the curve.

The thing that most amazes me, is that he did it with all Minnesota girls, and no one taller then 5'11"....He must be able to flat out Coach.

Watched Concordia-St. Paul a couple times on FSN. That team was soooooooooo good. That conference had like 6 teams in the top 25 poll at the end of the year. I think we have 3 locals playing at Northern St. What a great DII conference they have lined up right now.

Aggies assistant volleyball coach leaves for head job at North Dakota

After eight years at NMSU, Ashley Hardee has agreed to terms to become the head coach at the University of North Dakota next season. North Dakota will enter its first year of Division I competition next year in volleyball as part of the seven-team Great West Conference.

"I've wanted to be a head coach for a long time," said Hardee, who said UND athletics director and former NMSU AD Brian Faison, offered him the job while visiting the campus last week. "We went through the interview process after the season ended. Brian gave me a call and we did the interview process over the holidays and I was on campus last week and he gave me the offer, which was great. We came to an agreement and I will probably be up there in about two weeks."

Sounds like UND did well getting an experienced D1 coach/recruiter from major school. He's going to have a couple of rough years, not unlike many of our teams right now. Lets hope the administration will be supportive and give him the time and resources to bring his own people in, both coaches and players, to show what he can do.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the next couple of years.

Anyone know where UND is for volleyball scholarships right now (not available, just in general)? I know D1 allows 12 full, how many does UND have to offer?

Sounds like UND did well getting an experienced D1 coach/recruiter from major school. He's going to have a couple of rough years, not unlike many of our teams right now. Lets hope the administration will be supportive and give him the time and resources to bring his own people in, both coaches and players, to show what he can do.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the next couple of years.

Anyone know where UND is for volleyball scholarships right now (not available, just in general)? I know D1 allows 12 full, how many does UND have to offer?

• 1 month later...

Sioux volleyball program hires Mike Moffitt as assistant coach

Moffitt comes to UND after spending the previous six seasons on the volleyball staff at Texas Tech. He was elevated to the top assistant post and recruiting coordinator three seasons ago for the Big 12 conference school. Moffitt will assume the same role with the Sioux.

With a coaching staff formerly entrenched at New Mexico St. and Texas Tech, I'd say there is a good chance that the Southwest will be recruited fairly heavily in the future.

I think I'd be happier if our main recruiter wasn't the recruiter for a team that went 5-26 overall and 0-fer in their conference last year. Of course, we won't be playing Nebraska or Texas twice a year, which is nice :silly:

Hopefully things will work out fine, he may do an incredible job (I hope so). It's gonna take a couple of years before they can really put their stamp on the program.

Do you see transfers, JUCO and otherwise, for a quick fix or the traditional high school student as the initial target of the recruiting efforts?

No one has mentioned this but I think there's a new setter around campus ??? - is last year's setter still around?

I think I'd be happier if our main recruiter wasn't the recruiter for a team that went 5-26 overall and 0-fer in their conference last year. Of course, we won't be playing Nebraska or Texas twice a year, which is nice :D

Hopefully things will work out fine, he may do an incredible job (I hope so). It's gonna take a couple of years before they can really put their stamp on the program.

Do you see transfers, JUCO and otherwise, for a quick fix or the traditional high school student as the initial target of the recruiting efforts?

No one has mentioned this but I think there's a new setter around campus :D - is last year's setter still around?

Looks as if the new TTU coach let go of the old assistants and hired herself a new set she knew from junior college ranks. Moffitt was at TTU for three years and the Texas Tech team is really young, so if TTU has success over the next few years, it would be due in large part to his recruiting.