SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ UMD BULLDOGS

AZSIOUX

Ugh...lets just give everyone a "participation" ribbon. This is D1 hockey, not park board. The most talented players need to be on the ice as much as possible, not sitting for inexperienced players to get some ice-time. Some players need to be motivated by sitting a game, while others just have to keep grinding. A good coach knows who they are, but Hak is clueless. This is not an isolated incident. I just had enough when Hak decided to sit both Trupp and Kozek. Funny enough, they play UMD this weekend and IF Kozek or Trupp score you will think Hak is a genius. Oh, by the way, have YOU been to all of the Frozen Four's lately? Hak has been outcoached BADLY! Add that to being a classless fool who feels that flipping-off the officials is acceptable, you get a coach who needs a pink-slip. We deserve a better coach at UND. Now I do appologize for thinking that you were sticking-up for one of your kids, I guess thats not correct. However, you truly need to stick to video hockey if you think you know what "really" going on. Open your eyes grasshopper, coach Hak has a problem..its his attitude.

Please explain specifically how Hak was out coached in the Frozen Four losses. NCAA hockey more than any other sport can be decided by one luck bounce, one hot or cold goalie, one shot that is half an inch inside the post instead of half an inch the other way. Last year a couple d-man played awful games, the goalie didn't bail anyone out, and the BC forwards, one in particular :), were quick and finished their chances. I don't put the losses on Hak unless you put it on him for the recruiting.

All good coaches bench quality players on occasion if they are not working/performing up to their potential. Blake was benched and he was a heck of a lot better college player than Trupp or Kozak. If I remember correctly, the Sioux won on Saturday night with those two in the press box and lost on Friday with them on the ice. It sucks to sit in the press box and it is a major wakeup call. My guess is they will respond with a better effort. They may not light up the scoresheet, but the effort will be improved on both ends of the ice.

Generally the head coach plays the tough guy role and the assistants are more friendly with the players. Blais was a hard ass while the head coach but his role was more buddy/buddy while the assitant back in the old days under Gino. Same goes with Hak. That was a consideration in hiring Hak, the transition and the relationship with the current players.

I'm not saying that Hak is Scotty Bowman, but your assessments and reasons for disliking him are flawed.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh...lets just give everyone a "participation" ribbon. This is D1 hockey, not park board. The most talented players need to be on the ice as much as possible, not sitting for inexperienced players to get some ice-time. Some players need to be motivated by sitting a game, while others just have to keep grinding. A good coach knows who they are, but Hak is clueless. This is not an isolated incident. I just had enough when Hak decided to sit both Trupp and Kozek. Funny enough, they play UMD this weekend and IF Kozek or Trupp score you will think Hak is a genius. Oh, by the way, have YOU been to all of the Frozen Four's lately? Hak has been outcoached BADLY! Add that to being a classless fool who feels that flipping-off the officials is acceptable, you get a coach who needs a pink-slip. We deserve a better coach at UND. Now I do appologize for thinking that you were sticking-up for one of your kids, I guess thats not correct. However, you truly need to stick to video hockey if you think you know what "really" going on. Open your eyes grasshopper, coach Hak has a problem..its his attitude.

The only reason I'm replying is to answer your question: Yes, I have been to a Frozen Four lately. Just last year, actually. I would lay off any further assumptions you would choose to make, because you would probably be wrong. Now, go away. Thanks.

Hak said scratching Kozek and Trupp was NOT personal??? Are you kidding me? Everything is "personal" with Hak, just ask anyone who has ever played for him. I'm curious as to what Kozek and Trupp did to deserve this? Kozek was the returning leading scorer and Hak has him playing on the 3rd line and he's not even on PP1! What could he have done? Hak's not as well-liked as many of you think. He is constantly playing games with the players' heads when he should be focusing more on getting his best players on the ice. Hopefully this weekend he gets his lines right. We need to sweep!

A couple years ago the Sioux were struggling. I talked with a former player (who played under Hak, albeit as an assistant) who told me to be patient. The Sioux ended up in the Frozen Four. I asked this player later what he knew that I didn't. His reply?

"I know how good a coach Hak is."

A couple years ago the Sioux were struggling. I talked with a former player (who played under Hak, albeit as an assistant) who told me to be patient. The Sioux ended up in the Frozen Four. I asked this player later what he knew that I didn't. His reply?

"I know how good a coach Hak is."

Agreed, Hak is a good coach. It can be very frustarting for us fans to be patient at times(myself most definately included) but I said two years ago after we were 5 games under .500 at the break and ended up int he frozen four that I would not question Hak as a coach and his abilities to coach.

Posted this in the Road Trip thread a few days ago, thought more would see it in this one:

Won't be in Duluth, but will be in Fargo over the weekend.

Wondering about a good bar with many Sioux fans in Fargo?

I know the Buffalo Wild Wings by the airport gets the games, but last time I was there for a game (last year) it seemed like I was the only Sioux fan there. I had to practically argue with them to keep the game on when Ultimate Fighting came on. Anything better in Fargo?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted this in the Road Trip thread a few days ago, thought more would see it in this one:

I know the Buffalo Wild Wings by the airport gets the games, but last time I was there for a game (last year) it seemed like I was the only Sioux fan there. I had to practically argue with them to keep the game on when Ultimate Fighting came on. Anything better in Fargo?

Call me crazy, but I'd avoid the close to NDSU campus bars... especially the BWW near campus, you may have better luck at the South BWW's. NDSU kids generally don't go for Sioux hockey and they kinda "own" those establishments near campus. This is just my personal opinion, the only one you might have luck with in north fargo would be labby's i think. But i'm not sure.

you're crazy. :D

There actually weren't many students in there when I went because it was during X-mas break. I was watching the UNH game (I think). It was more the fact I had to argue with them to keep one TV on the Sioux game instead of changing them all to UFC and NFL.

This weekend, when school is actually in session it will probably be another story...you're right. I'll look into getting down to the south BWW, but I've got personal reasons for not wanting to go there. :)

Go Sioux!

sometimes players need to be benched. there were a handful that he probably could have benched but im sure it was calculated on who he did bench as it always is with coaches and why they do what they do. you cant bench a entire team which was needed after last fridays game so he chose who to bench and then you move on. they won saturday which helps even more with the guys he benched in my mind lighting a little fire if needed. the sioux will be fine but its a must to get to .500 after this weekend and grab the 4 wcha points. its very possible this weekend like it was last but the effort and play friday was embarrassing to the coaches, players and fans. saturday was better and lets hope it just continues through the end of this month and december!!

go sioux

sioux sweep

Tailgators is the best place to go. lots of sioux fans (usually) and you can actually hear the game.

we're real close - hak

4 questions with zach jones

Q. Who has the largest appetite on the team, if not you?

A. Joe Finley has a pretty big appetite and so does Brent Davidson. This past week, we went to Buffalo Wild Wings and Finley took me down pretty good. He ate around 50 wings. I stopped around 30. I knew my limits.

duluth news tribune article

uscho wcha weekly

inch chat

William (Atlanta, GA): The Sioux always seem to start slow (.500 in the winter the last few seasons), then seem to turn on the jets to finnish strong enough for four straight frozen fours. Do you guys forsee the same second half turn around and if not what do they need to do to turn it around this season?

Jess Myers: I don't foresee as big a second-half push by North Dakota this season for some reason. Something just doesn't feel right. I'm reminded of the 2001-02 NoDak team that had no good reason to struggle, but did anyway. These Sioux have some talent, are struggling for some reason.

The 01/02 Sioux team had no good reason to struggle? They dressed like 11 or 12 freshmen a night. I'd call that reason enough.

This year's Sioux team is one of the more experienced teams in the league...if they continue to struggle, it won't be because they are young.

William (Atlanta, GA): The Sioux always seem to start slow (.500 in the winter the last few seasons), then seem to turn on the jets to finnish strong enough for four straight frozen fours. Do you guys forsee the same second half turn around and if not what do they need to do to turn it around this season?

Jess Myers: I don't foresee as big a second-half push by North Dakota this season for some reason. Something just doesn't feel right. I'm reminded of the 2001-02 NoDak team that had no good reason to struggle, but did anyway. These Sioux have some talent, are struggling for some reason.

The 01/02 Sioux team had no good reason to struggle? They dressed like 11 or 12 freshmen a night. I'd call that reason enough.

This year's Sioux team is one of the more experienced teams in the league...if they continue to struggle, it won't be because they are young.

J. Myers is the Don Adam of online hockey journalism; he just make sh*?# up as he goes.

So, how do the Fighting Sioux score goals this weekend in Duluth?

The DECC ice is small, making it a whole lot easier for the Dogs to plug up the slot, taking away Duncan and Kozek's go-to shot from the dot. I'm guessing they'll gladly let the Sioux cycle the puck behind the goal and in the corners, but pounce on any centering attempt. (Do we know how to center the puck anymore? :) )

This team hasn't shown me the ability to break in on a goalie 2-on-1 or 3-on-2. All their nifty little no-look and drop passes have been swatted away harmlessly by back-checkers, and the dreaded (or dreadful) cycle ain't gettin' it done.

Where are the goals going to come from?

And who's going to step up?

The DECC ice is small, making it a whole lot easier for the Dogs to plug up the slot, taking away Duncan and Kozek's go-to shot from the dot. I'm guessing they'll gladly let the Sioux cycle the puck behind the goal and in the corners, but pounce on any centering attempt. (Do we know how to center the puck anymore? :) )

This team hasn't shown me the ability to break in on a goalie 2-on-1 or 3-on-2. All their nifty little no-look and drop passes have been swatted away harmlessly by back-checkers, and the dreaded (or dreadful) cycle ain't gettin' it done.

IMO ... What we are seeing is the result of the cream of the crop of the outstanding 05 class leaving early. The rest of that class is a notch (or 2, 3) below the NHL'ers. Finley being hurt is obviously a factor as well.

Add to that disappointing results from the 06 and 07 classes (Vandy and Genoway are excluded - Forney not working out is huge). If not for the 08 class (especially Gregoire/Eidsness/Hextall) things would be much worse.

As I said in a previous post, this may be as good as it gets this year. If Eidness continues his development, he could steal some games for us.

I think you could see the Freshies make more of an impact in the 2nd half, once Toews gets his legs back and Blood/Fienhage get more playing time.

we're real close - hak

4 questions with zach jones

Q. Who has the largest appetite on the team, if not you?

A. Joe Finley has a pretty big appetite and so does Brent Davidson. This past week, we went to Buffalo Wild Wings and Finley took me down pretty good. He ate around 50 wings. I stopped around 30. I knew my limits.

duluth news tribune article

uscho wcha weekly

inch chat

I can't imagine eating 50 wings, I am hard pressed to eat 20 wings. Yikes!

that's easy :D

tonight - 5-2 sioux win.........gregoire,duncan,kozek,kozek,hextall with a few helpers to VV

saturday - 5-3 win..........toews,trupp,vv,hextall,watkins

Despite Hak saying this team is really close I can't predict anything but a split until they stop doing their Jekyll and Hyde permances. A team ready to make that move wouldn't have come out and laid an egg on Friday against a D goaltender. My heart says sweep but my head says split. Dogs Fri, Sioux Sat.

You truly think this team can score ten goals this weekend?

I want some of whatever you're smokin' pal.

(And I say that with all due respect. Srsly)

of course not but what the hell. maybe i will get lucky.

sorry but you couldnt handle the stuff im smokin ;):D:)

only snoop dogg could hang ;)snoop-smoking.jpg