SiouxSports.com Forum

AHHHH The good old days

I just thought I might want to add the part that stuck out the most as I read the article...

In the championship game on Saturday night, Michigan State, which had reached the final with a 5-3 victory over Minnesota (a team North Dakota had beaten in five of six games during the season), was in contention for only 15 minutes against the Fighting Sioux. In the next 1:55 of the first period, North Dakota exploded for three goals. The outcome of the game was essentially history with two periods still to play

Thank you, thank you, thank you ... for posting that link. It's still the most special of them all to me, probably because I attended all the home games (save the loss to USIU) and the Final Four in Detroit. As for the quiet crowd at the Joe, one of my enduring memories of that trip is waiting in the concession line during the first intermission, surrounded by thousands of fans whispering in hushed tones about what they had just seen. As for MSU being in the game, my recollection is that they still had not had a shot on goal when the score reached 3-0 Sioux in the first. Good memories.

Belfour was in goal.

I just received a copy of that game and have watched the 1st period on tape. I also saw all the home games that year. This team was amazing, Hrkac is as good as advertised, Kidd scored an AMAZING goal in the first period.......

MSU was completely shut down in the first period.

What a fun game to watch.

As North Dakota set off for the Final Four, having won 38 of 46 games in the only NCAA Division I sport in which the school participates, Hrkac had 45 goals. Impressive as that number might be, it wasn't tops in the off-campus house Hrkac rents back in Grand Forks. One of his roommates, junior leftwinger Bob Joyce, the Fighting Sioux's captain and another All-America, led the nation with 50 goals this season. Still another roomie, junior rightwinger Steve Johnson, scored 25, which has to make their house on Dyke Avenue the highest-scoring temporary lodging spot in college hockey history.

Ummm, given the god-like status of those guys in Grand Forks in 1987, the last sentence of the above paragraph could be taken two ways. :):):)

I just received a copy of that game and have watched the 1st period on tape.  I also saw all the home games that year.  This team was amazing, Hrkac is as good as advertised, Kidd scored an AMAZING goal in the first period.......

My favorite period to watch is the 5 goal second period wipe-out of BU in 1997, an awesome offensive display, especially the 5th goal with the period about to end; what a dominating forecheck. Don't have the 80 and 82 games, however, would sure like to see them to compare to the 87 team (since I think the 82 team was the best ever).

My favorite period to watch is the 5 goal second period wipe-out of BU in 1997, an awesome offensive display, especially the 5th goal with the period about to end; what a dominating forecheck. Don't have the 80 and 82 games, however, would sure like to see them to compare to the 87 team (since I think the 82 team was the best ever).

Well, that 5 goal period may have been more significant than the comeback vs UM, but I was at that game in the old Ralph. When the go-ahead goal was scored, I jumped out of my seat, along with everyone else in the arena, it seemed. I swear, I don't know how the roof didn't blow right off the building, it was so loud in there.

Hauser was reduced to tears in front of us all. Very memorable.

I'm am so glad UND built a new arena. In the games at the old Ralph, I almost didn't want the Gophers to take the lead.

You have to admit Hauser aquitted himself very well eventually, getting a win at the old Ralph and winning the OT playoff game against the Sioux at Mariucci.

I'm am so glad UND built a new arena. In the games at the old Ralph, I almost didn't want the Gophers to take the lead.

Even though you're undefeated at the new REA, it was not a real good Sioux team that you beat. It may take some time for the Sioux to get even, given the goofed up unbalanced schedule , but it better start this year :)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/...kota/flashback/

I nice flashback article in SI about THE GREATEST team in UND hockey history :):):):):) .

What a great article for Sioux fans to read! I still remember the State fans after the first period sitting in shock at what was happening on the ice. Too much fun.

Classic quote by a Minnesota fan when asked by a State fan just before the game if North Dakota was even a threat. The response was something like "Your guys don't have a chance."

taz digs da Sioux

It took a few years but Hauser made a nice recovery. :)

Am I a Sioux fan? No, but that was one hell of a hockey team. I don't think I've seen one better in the years I've been watching WCHA hockey. I wish I could have seen the '61 DU team just to compare as the '87 UND and '61 DU teams are the two teams considered the best ever in the leagues history. I think if the '81 Gophers had won the NC I think they could have been considered in the same class. But as the saying goes, if "ifs and buts were candy and....

Thanks for the link.