SiouxSports.com Forum

Interesting Article in SI

diggerdan

An article in this week's Sports Illustrated includes a poll that suggests that most american indians do not find use of indian-themed nicknames or logos offensive and generally support their use.

SI terms the results as "surprising".  Really?  And the fact that the protest crowds are generally very small and contain a small percentage of indians wasn't a clue?

Please tell me more.  What was the percentage of Indians offended and unoffended?  The point most of the nickname opponents fail to grasp is that no one group is a monolith when it comes to an opinion on any issue.  Not only do the opponents want to force their view on the white majority but also evidently the majority of Indians, too.  Whose interest  are they advancing?

I perused the current issue of SI, rather than buying that rag, and it was actually pretty decent.  UND got a couple of positive mentions.  Essentially, what it boiled down to was that there is a great diversity of opinion amongst Indians regarding the use of Indian names/logos, with most favoring positive use of names/logos.

There is a Sisseton Sioux member in SD petitioning for the removal of Indian names/logos in SD schools, but she indicated she had no problem with UND's use of the Fighting Sioux name.  Naturally, people did indicate offense with "Redskins," "Chief Wahoo," "the Chop" and some other things that were could trivialize or demean Indians.  They also touched on names like "Fighting Irish," "Dutchmen" etc.  in the same vein.

All in all, a pretty balanced article.  Too bad the same couldn't be said of the smear SI printed in October.

An article in this week's Sports Illustrated includes a poll that suggests that most american indians do not find use of indian-themed nicknames or logos offensive and generally support their use.

SI terms the results as "surprising".

No, Dagies, it wasn't in the swimsuit edition, unfortunately.  :)

I don't think there is an online version of the entire article, although it is mentioned on SI's online cover.

I was channel surfing before bed last night, and came across CNN-SI covering the article on some sports show.  The author pretty much stood by what he wrote and the poll results, even though the clueless talking-head was pressing on how/when these names would eventually change.  The author indicated he didn't see a groundswell of support to change most team names, except perhaps for Redskins, amongst Indians or non-Indians.

I cancelled my subscription to SI in October, but my son came over with a copy and said there was an article that I should read.  A few pertinent excerpts:  Betty Ann Gross who led the push in SD to change the names of  38 state landmarks said, "There's a lot of division (among Native Americans).  We're confused, and if we're confused, you guys should be really confused."

Leigh J. Kuwanwisiwma, a Hopi leader, "I don't see anything wrong with Indian nicknames as long as they're not meant to be derogatory."

53 o/o of Indians on reservations and 81 o/o of Indians off reservations said use of Indian team names and mascots does not contribute to discrimination against Indians.

Of course the academics who know better will say that these people have not been properly educated and do not really know what is best for them.  It is up to the true thinkers to decide what is and is not objectionable and proper.

The following is an excerpt from the March 4, 2002 Sport Illustrated article. All rights to the work and study results belong to Sport Illustrated and the author (SL Price):

"Indeed, a recent SI poll suggests that although Native American activists are virtually united in opposition to the use of Indian nicknames and mascots, the Native American population sees the issue far differently. Asked if high school and college teams should stop using Indian nicknames, 81% of Native Americans respondents said no. As for pro sports, 83% of Native American respondents said teams should not stop using Indian nicknames, mascots, characters and symbols. Opinion is far more divided on reservations, yet a majority (67%) there said the usage by pro teams should not cease ... "