SiouxSports.com Forum

First time at UND Game

KC_Caps_Fan

Hey everyone,

Wasn't sure if this belonged here or the community forum, but what the hell. Heard this was a great message board for North Dakota hockey. Here's the deal: a buddy of mine and I are driving up for the SCSU series in December from Kansas City. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge Sioux fan (actually pull for UNO in the CCHA when it comes to college hockey, but always cheer for UND in Frozen Four, etc.), but I've always wanted to see a North Dakota game in person after hearing so many great things about the arena and team. Anyways, we will be at both the Friday and Saturday games. We're both college age (and over 21) and were wondering where the hangouts were in Grand Forks for the students before and after games. Also, we will have most of the day to kill on Saturday. Any recommendations as to what to do while in Grand Forks? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

Wasn't sure if this belonged here or the community forum, but what the hell. Heard this was a great message board for North Dakota hockey. Here's the deal: a buddy of mine and I are driving up for the SCSU series in December from Kansas City. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge Sioux fan (actually pull for UNO in the CCHA when it comes to college hockey, but always cheer for UND in Frozen Four, etc.), but I've always wanted to see a North Dakota game in person after hearing so many great things about the arena and team. Anyways, we will be at both the Friday and Saturday games. We're both college age (and over 21) and were wondering where the hangouts were in Grand Forks for the students before and after games. Also, we will have most of the day to kill on Saturday. Any recommendations as to what to do while in Grand Forks? Thanks in advance.

Well, I'm a college student. I don't usually go out before the game as I usually wait in line for seats on the glass, but there are several bars with shuttles to the arena. One of which is Rumors I believe. Also, Suite 49 is a sports bar right next to the arena you could check out. After games, they often have live entertainment also. Otherwise, as I college student I always head downtown... typical hot spots down there for college age are joe blacks, level 10, gillys, bonzers, sledsters. Those are the main ones I hit up. If you're looking for non-drinking activities, I can't help ya there... this is grand forks after all! lol

The Red Pepper would be a great place to go after the game Friday night, and I highly recommend a visit to the Italian Moon Saturday afternoon. Those are the two places you absolutely must eat at while in Grand Forks.

OH YES! you have to go to the red pepper! And there's 2 in town, so if one's too busy, you can go to the other! (though one is a lot nicer than the other!)

Well, I'm a college student. I don't usually go out before the game as I usually wait in line for seats on the glass, but there are several bars with shuttles to the arena. One of which is Rumors I believe. Also, Suite 49 is a sports bar right next to the arena you could check out. After games, they often have live entertainment also. Otherwise, as I college student I always head downtown... typical hot spots down there for college age are joe blacks, level 10, gillys, bonzers, sledsters. Those are the main ones I hit up. If you're looking for non-drinking activities, I can't help ya there... this is grand forks after all! lol

Definitely must hit dowtown after the games. And I also agree about the red pepper as well. The diehard students will be waiting in line hours before the games but the others usually pregame at somebody's house. Your best bet is to find a bar with a shuttle like siouxforce said.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...and yeah, we're probably looking more towards the drinking activities (at least after the games). Now this may be a stupid question, but which streets are considered "downtown?" I know where I go to school we have one street which contains about every single college bar in the city, but I was wondering if Grand Forks was different. I assume there's probably one or two streets with the majority of the action.

go to the southgate grill and ge the beef tips to eat, get a 92 ounce tower of beer for yourself and watch the sioux woop the hell out of st cloud :silly: then go out after and party it up. always works for me and i have a blast i grand forks. cant beat it for a hockey weekend!

Demers Ave. is the street that most people use to get downtown and once you get there the night of a game just follow the crowd and you'll find all of the bars. I've always found that most people are friendly enough so if you don't know the area most people will help you out. If UND wins it will help your cause as well so cheer loud for us.

Just about every bar has a bus that heads to the games, most are free. This is the way to do it! Whitey's in East Grand Forks usually has 2 full size school buses going to the games. After, you are fairly close to the GF downtown area, just a few blocks, across the bridge, so you could technically walk it and take a cab back to your hotel at the end of the night. As far as Saturday, sleep til noon, eat lunch at a local restaurant like Rhombus or Italian Moon, Blue Moose, Paradiso, then get ready for saturday's game!

Also, Suite 49 is a sports bar right next to the arena you could check out. After games, they often have live entertainment also.

Suite 49 is a pretty good place to start before a game. The Lavosh is killer... Their beer selection rocks as well...

I love the sauge one...

SAUSAGE - Grilled Italian sausage, red and green bell peppers, onions, mushrooms with melted cheddar and havarti cheeses.

As others have said, for pre-game, find a bar with a shuttle to the game. As a 21 year-old who intends to have a few drinks, I think your best bet is to pre-game at one of the downtown East Grand Forks bars like Whiteys. The bus will take you back downtown after the game and you will be in walking distance to all of the college-age bars in downtown Grand Forks. And if you stay downtown at the Guest House (f/k/a Best Western Town House) then you won't have to take any cabs during your drinking/hockey excursion. Cabs are not always the easiest to get in Grand Forks, especially around bar close.

As others have said, you must hit the Red Pepper at some point during your stay. You should go to the older one close to downtown. It has more history and better atmosphere than the newer one.

GuestHouse Int'l (formerly Best Western Town House)

710 1st Avenue North

Grand Forks, ND 58203

Phone: (701) 746-5411

FAX: (701) 746-1407

Here's a good plan:

1. Blue Moose

2. Game

3. Bonzers

4. other downtown bars

5. Bonzers

6. Red Pepper

next day...

7. Italian Moon

I'm coming back to the Greater Grand for the DU series, and this thread is getting me excited

Enjoy your first experience at the Palace on the Prairie!

Just about every bar has a bus that heads to the games, most are free. This is the way to do it! Whitey's in East Grand Forks usually has 2 full size school buses going to the games. After, you are fairly close to the GF downtown area, just a few blocks, across the bridge, so you could technically walk it and take a cab back to your hotel at the end of the night. As far as Saturday, sleep til noon, eat lunch at a local restaurant like Rhombus or Italian Moon, Blue Moose, Paradiso, then get ready for saturday's game!

Whiteys is the route I always take when I'm up there for a game.Cheap place to stay is the Plaza Hotel a block away from Whiteys.So there is no driving involved.Drink drink drink and stumble back to the hotel.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has posted suggestions on where to stay, go, drink, etc. I'm thinking I made a really good decision this year for my annual "hockey trip." Since we don't have a hockey team in KC, my friends and I usually drive up to Omaha 4 or 5 times a year to watch UNO or the Omaha Lancers play, but (money permitting) we try to make a trip to somewhere a little more distant during one of our breaks. Last year we went to DC to watch my Caps play. Obviously, I'm looking forward to seeing Joe Finley in person. Caps could use a big presence on the blueline in the future.

Anyways guys, thanks again! Downtown sounds awesome. Hopefully we'll get to meet some great fans and have an awesome time...and of course hopefully the Sioux will win.

This is true, albeit when she smiles at you, you won't be sure whether to smile back or kick a field goal...

Shawn-O-...that was awesome.

The Plaza in EGF is very cheap, but a dive. However, it's not far from the downtown scene in GF, and Whitey's and the Blue Moose are right there. Take a bar shuttle to the game. After the Friday game, hit the downtown bars and follow it up with the Red Pepper. Saturday, you can flip a coin between the Moon and Paradiso, but since Paradiso is mexican food, Sunday may not be pleasant on the ride home. Before the game Saturday, I'd do a bar and bus ride again. Follow your same routine, but after the bar I'd suggest spending some money on a cab to get you to the I-29 Truck Stop for an order of fries and gravy.

Another great hockey trip to make is the Final Five in St. Paul. That is awesome.

Shawn-O-...that was awesome.

The Plaza in EGF is very cheap, but a dive. However, it's not far from the downtown scene in GF, and Whitey's and the Blue Moose are right there. Take a bar shuttle to the game. After the Friday game, hit the downtown bars and follow it up with the Red Pepper. Saturday, you can flip a coin between the Moon and Paradiso, but since Paradiso is mexican food, Sunday may not be pleasant on the ride home. Before the game Saturday, I'd do a bar and bus ride again. Follow your same routine, but after the bar I'd suggest spending some money on a cab to get you to the I-29 Truck Stop for an order of fries and gravy.

Another great hockey trip to make is the Final Five in St. Paul. That is awesome.

Sure it's nothing fancy but they keep it clean.People who run it are nice folks.It's just a convenient place to stay when alot of drinking is involved because everything is within stumbling distance.