SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Sure it sounds like a great idea to just "dress a player who can score". But what team has ever won with all scorers? You need grinders/hard workers to get the energy up for when your star players are having off nights. Where would UND have been last year without their grinder line. That line basically took the team to the national title game once it was playoff time.

Fair enough! Dress a pure defensive talent. A guy who is solid defensively, blocks shots, makes decent outlet passes, sound positionally, and so on instead! The point is still clear: If you aren't valuable to your team offensively or defensively you shouldn't be playing. Fights don't score goals and they don't prevent goals. Therefore, unless the player who is fighting is genuinely valuable to the team in one of those two other areas, he shouldn't dress.

There's no problem with having a player stand up for cheap shots. I'm saying that if that player's main responsibility is fighting, then that's a wasted roster slot. Now, they (the hockey people) won't say that. They'll say that "John Doe's an enforcer." Yeah, that's nice. What does he do for the team other than drop the gloves? Scott Parker doesn't contribute, Tie Domi rarely contributes (He did score a goal once when I was watching a game. He looked just as stunned as I did. And the commentators were flabbergasted "And Tie Domi gets a goal! Unbelievable!") Scott Stevens, as I mentioned before, had a tendency to drop the gloves, but is that all he did for the Devils? Nope.

If goal scorers don't contribute they get demoted. If defensemen aren't solid defensively, they get sent down. It seems that enforcers don't get held to such accountability. I just don't see fighting as a major part of the game. Therefore, why devote a roster slot to an enforcer?

In good news, Zach Parise had an assist and the game winning goal in a shootout today in a 3-2 NJ win.

Recap

Unrelated Note:

In a trade with the Flyers, the Coyotes acquired another defenseman. I'm not sure if this defenseman (Seidenberg) will affect Jones, but I thought it was worth a note.

If goal scorers don't contribute they get demoted. If defensemen aren't solid defensively, they get sent down. It seems that enforcers don't get held to such accountability

Enforcers don't log near the amount of ice time that these other players do. You don't typically see enforcers on PP or PK units. You can argue this point all night long, but enforcers do play a role in hockey, and it's a role that all teams think are vital to the success of their team. Yes, fighting is decreasing in the hockey, which is a good thing, as it will make our wonderful sport more family oriented, but teams still need the tough guys to make the statements that they make from time to time. I agree that fights should not occur every single game, but there are points in a game and season where it is necessary for whatever reason. Take a roll down memory lane to last year, when the Sioux got spanked by the Gophers at home, 6-0 on Saturday night. Rory McMahon, someone you least expect to fight, did just that. It was something he felt was needed to send a message to his team, as well as to the Gopher's team.

I think it did. Jones was sent back to San Antonio on Jan. 21.

jones went down saturday morning right before a potential matchup vs matt greene and edmonton that night, i bet they were bummed they could not face eachother. jones will be a fill in d man this whole year with this trade. he will get a shot next season as a full timer as he has played very solid when needed up with the coyotes.

A little off-topic but 2 former Sioux players were in action last weekend in the Twin Cities. Peter Armbrust ('97 / '00 captain) and Matt Henderson ('97 / FF MVP) were on the 2nd place team in the USA Pond Hockey Championship held on Lake Calhoun. Spiewak was supposed to be on the roster but couldn't make it so they picked up former Gopher......Tyler Hirsch. Their team was also featured on Rosens Sports Sunday. It was a great event that I'm sure will turn into an annual tournament.

A little off-topic but 2 former Sioux players were in action last weekend in the Twin Cities. Peter Armbrust ('97 / '00 captain) and Matt Henderson ('97 / FF MVP) were on the 2nd place team in the USA Pond Hockey Championship held on Lake Calhoun. Spiewak was supposed to be on the roster but couldn't make it so they picked up former Gopher......Tyler Hirsch. Their team was also featured on Rosens Sports Sunday. It was a great event that I'm sure will turn into an annual tournament.

So does this mean that Hirsch's medical redshirt was a "no go?"

Jason Blake with an "Abuse of Officials" minor in last night's game vs the Devils. Anyone see it, or know exactly what that means?

I watched the game, and Blaker took a tripping call, but I never saw anything about "Abuse of Officials." I looked at both the Devils and Islanders box scores for the game, and they both have Blake for tripping, so I guess I'm wondering where you got your info.

I watched the game, and Blaker took a tripping call, but I never saw anything about "Abuse of Officials." I looked at both the Devils and Islanders box scores for the game, and they both have Blake for tripping, so I guess I'm wondering where you got your info.

USA Today had it as "abuse of officials"