SiouxSports.com Forum

Replacing the Interlocking "ND"?

GeauxSioux

Last week President Kelley had the following to say about the name/logo issue...

“I think one thing I’ll do in the coming months is to emphasize the UND brand,” Kelley said. “We have deep traditions and we’ll move those traditions forward, but they may have a new name, a new nickname.”
To emphasize the UND brand is has to be unique. I was in a Publix a few days ago and someone commented on my "Notre Dame" cap. My wife informed him that it was North Dakota, not Notre Dame. His rebuttal was, well that's okay then. :D

North Dakota may had the interlocking "ND" first, but is still recognized as Notre Dame 90% of the time. Maybe it's time to redefine the interlocking logo.

LOGOModel1.jpg

The "U is larger to make a statement about UND being "The University" of North Dakota.

I thought about putting an arrow on the part of the "U" with the "N" on it like a North arrow on a map, but I couldn't make it look the way that I wanted it to look.

Last week President Kelley had the following to say about the name/logo issue...To emphasize the UND brand is has to be unique. I was in a Publix a few days ago and someone commented on my "Notre Dame" cap. My wife informed him that it was North Dakota, not Notre Dame. His rebuttal was, well that's okay then. :D

North Dakota may had the interlocking "ND" first, but is still recognized as Notre Dame 90% of the time. Maybe it's time to redefine the interlocking logo.

LOGOModel1.jpg

The "U is larger to make a statement about UND being "The University" of North Dakota.

I thought about putting an arrow on the part of the "U" with the "N" on it like a North arrow on a map, but I couldn't make it look the way that I wanted it to look.

That could be a nice logo to put on the front of a UNI.

Actually you bring up a very valid subject. I have been an advocate of UND dropping the interlocking ND. While some schools may use the same or similar logos as other schools, it is not in the best interest of UND from a marketing standpoint to continue to use a logo that is vastly related to another school. And what this really ties into is the overall marketing of UND.

First off for marketing of UND academics, I don't mind the message that the UND by the Numbers ads are trying to get across. Those are all good facts to get out about UND. However, the ads themselves are poorly done. The color scheme doesn't really tie into UND. There is the Green and White but you also have just as much blue and orange and other colors in there. Also, our primary target audience is high school kids. These kids want to hear about what the student life is like, student activities, what the campus looks like, what UND can do for them and their careers, etc. And overall there isn't really a theme or slogan to get kids to want to find out more about UND. These are good commercials if you are trying to catch the parents attention but we also need something that will catch the eye of high school kids. I have to give credit to NDSU for their "Ask me about NDSU" campaign. It showed students and student life at NDSU. And really got kids to want to findout more about NDSU.

As far as marketing of athletics, the move to DI is the most opportune time to really sell UND to a whole new group of people across the nation. Over the next several years, we will be playing many, many schools for the first time. Their fans will be seeing UND teams and hearing about UND without necessarily knowing alot about the school. Showing up to their arenas wearing a logo that they know to be another schools isn't going to help UND stand out. Just because we tell people that we used a version of the logo first isn't going to make them think of it as North Dakota's logo. And the whole Sioux name controversy plays into this as well. It appears as if the writing is on the wall as to what is going to happen to the Sioux name and logo. To me, stepping into DI, having a whole new set of fans get to know us as the Sioux and then a couple of years down the road having to change the name would just set us back. We would essentially have to reintroduce our new name/logo to all of these fans. If UND is going to change the nickname, the sooner we do it in the transition the better.

And looking at the University overall, there is no consistency. Academics uses the flame logo and athletics uses the interlocking ND and the Sioux logo. Even within the athletic department there is a slight split as hockey uses the Sioux logo the most prominantely while the rest of the teams seem to use the interlocking ND more prominantely. The whole Sioux issue is so sensitive that for basically the past 2+ decades, the academic side of UND has not been able to use the Sioux name/logo in any way. Most mailings that high school students get from colleges and universities show scenes on the cover with something like students out playing frisbee with the school mascot in front of the union. UND could never do that. Even look at MSU Moorheads current marketing slogan; I'm a Dragon. Not being able to have an actual mascot costume is just one less marketing tool we don't have. Being able to sent a mascot to various events around the state would be great.

If you ask me, and I don't think anyone has :D, it is time for UND to get a name and logo that can encompass all of the university. I personally like the UND flame logo. It is a strong logo and it is simple yet recognizable. I think it would be a good one for the athletic department to begin using. And as far as the athletic department, whether they keep the Sioux name/logo or go with a new name/logo, that logo will be the primary logo of the athletic department. The UND flame logo would only be a secondary logo for athletics and used in a smaller capacity.

But obviously I haven't put much thought into this or have much of an opinion. :D

• 9 months later...
Actually you bring up a very valid subject. I have been an advocate of UND dropping the interlocking ND. While some schools may use the same or similar logos as other schools, it is not in the best interest of UND from a marketing standpoint to continue to use a logo that is vastly related to another school. And what this really ties into is the overall marketing of UND.

First off for marketing of UND academics, I don't mind the message that the UND by the Numbers ads are trying to get across. Those are all good facts to get out about UND. However, the ads themselves are poorly done. The color scheme doesn't really tie into UND. There is the Green and White but you also have just as much blue and orange and other colors in there. Also, our primary target audience is high school kids. These kids want to hear about what the student life is like, student activities, what the campus looks like, what UND can do for them and their careers, etc. And overall there isn't really a theme or slogan to get kids to want to find out more about UND. These are good commercials if you are trying to catch the parents attention but we also need something that will catch the eye of high school kids. I have to give credit to NDSU for their "Ask me about NDSU" campaign. It showed students and student life at NDSU. And really got kids to want to findout more about NDSU.

As far as marketing of athletics, the move to DI is the most opportune time to really sell UND to a whole new group of people across the nation. Over the next several years, we will be playing many, many schools for the first time. Their fans will be seeing UND teams and hearing about UND without necessarily knowing alot about the school. Showing up to their arenas wearing a logo that they know to be another schools isn't going to help UND stand out. Just because we tell people that we used a version of the logo first isn't going to make them think of it as North Dakota's logo. And the whole Sioux name controversy plays into this as well. It appears as if the writing is on the wall as to what is going to happen to the Sioux name and logo. To me, stepping into DI, having a whole new set of fans get to know us as the Sioux and then a couple of years down the road having to change the name would just set us back. We would essentially have to reintroduce our new name/logo to all of these fans. If UND is going to change the nickname, the sooner we do it in the transition the better.

And looking at the University overall, there is no consistency. Academics uses the flame logo and athletics uses the interlocking ND and the Sioux logo. Even within the athletic department there is a slight split as hockey uses the Sioux logo the most prominantely while the rest of the teams seem to use the interlocking ND more prominantely. The whole Sioux issue is so sensitive that for basically the past 2+ decades, the academic side of UND has not been able to use the Sioux name/logo in any way. Most mailings that high school students get from colleges and universities show scenes on the cover with something like students out playing frisbee with the school mascot in front of the union. UND could never do that. Even look at MSU Moorheads current marketing slogan; I'm a Dragon. Not being able to have an actual mascot costume is just one less marketing tool we don't have. Being able to sent a mascot to various events around the state would be great.

If you ask me, and I don't think anyone has :lol:, it is time for UND to get a name and logo that can encompass all of the university. I personally like the UND flame logo. It is a strong logo and it is simple yet recognizable. I think it would be a good one for the athletic department to begin using. And as far as the athletic department, whether they keep the Sioux name/logo or go with a new name/logo, that logo will be the primary logo of the athletic department. The UND flame logo would only be a secondary logo for athletics and used in a smaller capacity.

But obviously I haven't put much thought into this or have much of an opinion. :)

Another subtle, but very easy improvement would be to make the school color consistent throughout the University. I hate seeing forest green associated with UND (my biggest complaint about this website -- sorry Jim), which happens far too often. Use the same kelly green color throughout all departments and athletic teams on all letterheads, merchandise, marketing materials, etc.

I have no graphic abilities beyond what is in my mind (or programs to try anything) but was wondering how a BOLDED script U that is very prominent, italicized and large enough to have the "ND" (interlocking or not) inside would look. Make sense??

I don't think you need to replace the interlocking ND at all. I think that's a great logo. Screw Notre Dame.

Delaware and Michigan have the same helmet design, so what?

I agree,the Interlocking ND is a good logo. Maybe to dfferentiate from that other ND ours should be superimposd on an outline of the state. Maybe use a relief map to bring in some color, dark geen of the valley to orange in the SW.