SiouxSports.com Forum

High Price of Gas

Fetch

OK, the United States. I do not think it is wrong to say "we". What is your point? You are only a NDSU grad, I will try to explain thing easier for you next time.

Please do. I'm not aware of any company called "United States". Are they in manufacturing, service industry, apparel and textiles, perhaps? I'd really be interested in how your little scenario would play out.

What has this country came to? I swear about 3 years ago i could go into a gas station and buy a mountain dew for 1.07. Now its a buck 60. Also, so much for the 5 dollar pizzas at little caesers which were the best deal ever. They rose a dollar i saw. I remember when i could get a tin of copenhagen for under 3 bucks like 5 years ago. now its damn near 5 I just had to blow off some steam. Espcciallyw hen im capped at 4.89 percent raise a year and pirces are goin up high then that.

What has this country came to? I swear about 3 years ago i could go into a gas station and buy a mountain dew for 1.07. Now its a buck 60. Also, so much for the 5 dollar pizzas at little caesers which were the best deal ever. They rose a dollar i saw. I remember when i could get a tin of copenhagen for under 3 bucks like 5 years ago. now its damn near 5 I just had to blow off some steam. Espcciallyw hen im capped at 4.89 percent raise a year and pirces are goin up high then that.

I'm not Little Caesers, but you should see how much the price of flour and cheese (real cheese) have gone up in the last 12-18 months. My Sysco bill every week is painful. :D You should be happy that the price has only gone up $1.

Please do. I'm not aware of any company called "United States". Are they in manufacturing, service industry, apparel and textiles, perhaps? I'd really be interested in how your little scenario would play out.

Boy you are touchey about this idea. I just think that the United States needs to stand up to these countries that supply us with oil. If they want our goods and we need theirs then either we need to respond in kind or we will continue to get screwed by the middle east oil companies. I am not an economist, but I am guessing wither are you. So you need to stop trying to act like you are "better" than me. I have an opinion I am allowed to have one. Sorry you do not agree.

Boy you are touchey about this idea. I just think that the United States needs to stand up to these countries that supply us with oil. If they want our goods and we need theirs then either we need to respond in kind or we will continue to get screwed by the middle east oil companies. I am not an economist, but I am guessing wither are you. So you need to stop trying to act like you are "better" than me. I have an opinion I am allowed to have one. Sorry you do not agree.

I'm not really touchy, but I just really have no idea how the U.S. could enact such a policy. Our federal government, for the most part, does not undertake in the commerce of goods and services among countries. This is done by individual companies with the aid of import/export brokers. As I stated earlier, I suppose our government could levy high export tariffs on selective goods and services to companies representing certain nations. This would make no sense for two reasons: 1) Read up on the Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act of 1930. It really is an interesting piece of history. While there is some disagreement whether it is largely to blame for plunging the U.S. into the Great Depression, it certainly didn't help.

2) Let's say our government somehow puts into place a policy where we set an effective price of $50/bushel to wheat for sale to Saudi Arabia. The Saudis could simply set up a dummy company in another nation, buy that wheat from U.S. brokers, then sell to Saudi Arabia.

Less government intervention and the application of free market principles is the only effective way to ration finite goods. It's that simple.

I'm not really touchy, but I just really have no idea how the U.S. could enact such a policy. Our federal government, for the most part, does not undertake in the commerce of goods and services among countries. This is done by individual companies with the aid of import/export brokers. As I stated earlier, I suppose our government could levy high export tariffs on selective goods and services to companies representing certain nations. This would make no sense for two reasons: 1) Read up on the Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act of 1930. It really is an interesting piece of history. While there is some disagreement whether it is largely to blame for plunging the U.S. into the Great Depression, it certainly didn't help.

2) Let's say our government somehow puts into place a policy where we set an effective price of $50/bushel to wheat for sale to Saudi Arabia. The Saudis could simply set up a dummy company in another nation, buy that wheat from U.S. brokers, then sell to Saudi Arabia.

Less government intervention and the application of free market principles is the only effective way to ration finite goods. It's that simple.

I am not saying it is simple, I just think that it is worth exploring. I have just gotten feed up with gas prices and trying to think of ways to lower prices. I am sure you are right that there would be some road blocks and it would have some people very against it. But something has to be done.

I'm not Little Caesers, but you should see how much the price of flour and cheese (real cheese) have gone up in the last 12-18 months. My Sysco bill every week is painful. :) You should be happy that the price has only gone up $1.

Not to mention any fuel surcharges on top of it?

NDSU grad is completely correct. I'll add on top of it that anytime the government tries to help out, it always back fires against the American consumer. (Great Depression, 70's gas shortage, etc.) Ultimately, the only people that can be blamed are the individual consumers. Gas prices are only high because we use so much. The good thing is that when prices become too high, alternatives start to be developed.

My biggest problem with the government is that they mess up the "free market" with regulation. Granted there are times when it is necessary, but in many cases, particulary in regards to nuclear energy, regulation is ridiculous. This ultimatly causes energy prices to be unncessarily high. (as an example, if nuclear cannot be used, more people will be forced to use alternatives like natural gas which of course comes from oil.)

If you want something to be done, then I would suggest riding a bike more often or buying a smaller car or moving closer to your job or whatever... there are lots of options.

2/3rds of the problem is solved.

Nuclear plants are proven technology and we have all the domestic fuel we needed to provide the energy we nedd now and a growing future. Couple that with solar, wind, geothermal, etc. and we are set.

Electric motors of all sizes are proven efficient ways to create the motion we require for all daily functions of life, whether that be for personal vehicals of all sizes, trains, planes, tractors, and trucks.

The last problem that needs to be solved is of course the huge one. And that's efficient, portable energy carriers. Batteries don't cut it right now for all but simple tasks. Fuel cells are inefficient. Hydrogen storage is a problem. Biofuels made from crops are a waste of time. Cellulosic biofuels are worthwhile but it's doubtful they can ever take on the full load.

Untill we solve this last problem, we are slaves to gasoline and diesel and those who have it are our masters.

2/3rds of the problem is solved.

Nuclear plants are proven technology and we have all the domestic fuel we needed to provide the energy we nedd now and a growing future. Couple that with solar, wind, geothermal, etc. and we are set.

Electric motors of all sizes are proven efficient ways to create the motion we require for all daily functions of life, whether that be for personal vehicals of all sizes, trains, planes, tractors, and trucks.

The last problem that needs to be solved is of course the huge one. And that's efficient, portable energy carriers. Batteries don't cut it right now for all but simple tasks. Fuel cells are inefficient. Hydrogen storage is a problem. Biofuels made from crops are a waste of time. Cellulosic biofuels are worthwhile but it's doubtful they can ever take on the full load.

Untill we solve this last problem, we are slaves to gasoline and diesel and those who have it are our masters.

This is the most sense you've ever made. I might add that we could start building nuclear plants now and replace all the oil ones in the NE.