SiouxSports.com Forum

At least we still have hockey! Hilarious

siouxbear1

Here is a quote from a federal court about satire. This is from Locurto v. Guiliani:

Parody, satire or humor as a method of addressing matters of public concern, in addition to being no less entitled to constitutional protection than more serious discourse, is frequently more effective. See, for example, Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Children of Ireland From Being a Burden to their Parents or Country 19-31, (William Alfred Eddy, ed., Oxford Univ. Press 1962) (1729), which, in commenting on England's oppression of the Irish, proposed outrageously that the British could most efficiently reduce the Catholic population, and their attendant public burden, by fattening and feeding on the one (1) hundred thousand Irish children upon their reaching one (1) year old. For examples from the more recent past, consider George Bernard Shaw, Pygmalion (Dover Thrift 1994) (1916), and the varied writings and statements of Mark Twain and Will Rogers, effectively demonstrating the power of humor and satire when addressed to political and social issues.

I don't want to turn this into a free speech forum, but why is the university reacting as it has?

Here is a quote from a federal court about satire. This is from Locurto v. Guiliani:

Parody, satire or humor as a method of addressing matters of public concern, in addition to being no less entitled to constitutional protection than more serious discourse, is frequently more effective. See, for example, Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Children of Ireland From Being a Burden to their Parents or Country 19-31, (William Alfred Eddy, ed., Oxford Univ. Press 1962) (1729), which, in commenting on England's oppression of the Irish, proposed outrageously that the British could most efficiently reduce the Catholic population, and their attendant public burden, by fattening and feeding on the one (1) hundred thousand Irish children upon their reaching one (1) year old. For examples from the more recent past, consider George Bernard Shaw, Pygmalion (Dover Thrift 1994) (1916), and the varied writings and statements of Mark Twain and Will Rogers, effectively demonstrating the power of humor and satire when addressed to political and social issues.

I don't want to turn this into a free speech forum, but why is the university reacting as it has?

Haven't you noticed - university's only protect speech that fit's their agenda. The college campus is no longer a place where the "free marketplace of ideas" is allowed.

This reaction and the controversy over a speaker at St.Thomas Univ. in St. Paul are the latest in a long list of university's seeking to controll speech, not promoting the free exercise thereof.

PowerLine: Discomfort at St.Thomas

So far the host said, while he doesn't agree with such a video because of the historical aspect with Nazi's and Hitler, he doesn't feel that it is newsworthy and no apology is due. Most have found it somewhat humorous. He also has touched on the "rivalry" and how Kolpack got a huge response on his blog when he said that the rivalry still exists whether it's a bike race or a football game. I'll have to check out the blog. I haven't seen that yet.

I guess that was the end of it. :lol:

Edited by GeauxSioux