SiouxSports.com Forum

2008 Minnesota Twins

gopherz

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morneau has really been struggling the last couple weeks. If he gets a big hit with runners in scoring position tonight, I like the Twins chances. Blackburn should be solid on the mound.

Man, I hope Blackburn is solid tonight, but I'm worried. If the Twins do make the playoffs their pitching will have to step it up big time for them to do anything. I guess for a 1 game playoff I'd rather have Liriano or Baker on the hill.

As for Morneau, man he is due. Tonight is the night to shore up the AL MVP award!

Man, I hope Blackburn is solid tonight, but I'm worried. If the Twins do make the playoffs their pitching will have to step it up big time for them to do anything. I guess for a 1 game playoff I'd rather have Liriano or Baker on the hill.

As for Morneau, man he is due. Tonight is the night to shore up the AL MVP award!

I must say, Blackburn pitched very well tonight. That HR by Thome was a BOMB. The Twins are down to their last 3 outs...let's hope they can do to Jenks what they did to him last week. Mauer and Morneau going 0-6 so far certainly doesn't help. I'll never for the life of me understand why Mauer tries bunting...that is frustrating. I'm hoping that both Mauer and Morneau get up in the 9th with a chance to redeem themselves.

At least they made it this far I for one expected a rebuilding year but this is a year to build on.

Top offseason focuses.. SS, 3B and the Bullpen

That has been the motto since 1992.

And yeah, Bill Smith only wanted the Twins to compete because you can't expect anything more with them playing in the metrodome. :(

But really, seriously, yeah, they did do far better than I thought they would.

However, I think Harris will be fine at 3B. They need depth. Punto had a better year this year, but no way is he going to do any better than he did this year again. Best get a SS and how Casilla works out at 2B so you can make Punto a spot starter/utility man off the bench.

Apart from Guerrier, it's amazing to see you say bullpen. I thought it was one of the few strengths the Twins had. It's too bad you guys didn't hold on to Grant Balfour.

Remember though: don't feel bad for this season. All you were doing was fighting to be the honor of being the first to be eliminated by the Rays.

Mauer and Morneau both failed to reach base last night. that was the first time that has happened all season. :(

Morneau ended the season on a 10 for 58 tailspin at the plate. And Mauer BUNTING in the 7th!! Mauer is without a doubt one of the most overhyped Minny athletes of all-time. I know he bats for average, but he set a career high in RBI's this year with 85 I believe. Pathetic production for a catcher in the 3 hole. The White Sox hit 120+ more homers than the Twins this season and what ended the Twins season?

Morneau ended the season on a 10 for 58 tailspin at the plate. And Mauer BUNTING in the 7th!! Mauer is without a doubt one of the most overhyped Minny athletes of all-time. I know he bats for average, but he set a career high in RBI's this year with 85 I believe. Pathetic production for a catcher in the 3 hole. The White Sox hit 120+ more homers than the Twins this season and what ended the Twins season?

I will never understand Mauer trying to bunt for a hit. The guy wins the batting title in the AL and he's bunting? Really? In a 1 game playoff to go to the postseason - you're bunting for a hit? He's not a fast runner and would either have to lay down the perfect bunt or REALLY catch the other team sleeping to bunt for a hit. Anyone have any info on how many bunt attempts he's had in his career vs. how many hits he's gotten off of a bunt?

I will never understand Mauer trying to bunt for a hit. The guy wins the batting title in the AL and he's bunting? Really? In a 1 game playoff to go to the postseason - you're bunting for a hit? He's not a fast runner and would either have to lay down the perfect bunt or REALLY catch the other team sleeping to bunt for a hit. Anyone have any info on how many bunt attempts he's had in his career vs. how many hits he's gotten off of a bunt?

Exactly. At that stage in the game, you need Mauer to try to find a gap for a double and score on a hit from Morneau. :( Mauer is my Carson Palmer of the MLB. Lots of talent but little substance, especially when it counts or matters. How many "average" MLB players drive in 80+ runs?

I for one am sick and tired of the Twins being satisfied with being just good enough to stay in contention but not good enough to make any serious noise in the playoffs. This small market little engine that could nonsense has to stop. It's time to step up and make a couple of key acquisitions to put this team over the top. If they had only gone out and signed a decent relief pitcher to replace Pat Neshek by midseason, they wouldn't have had so many leads blown in the 7th and 8th innings down the stretch and would not have needed to play that game last night. They would have ended the season at least five games up and we'd be talking about going into Tampa and taking care of the Devil Rays.

big money key acquisitions like the Vikings did?

big money key acquisitions like the Vikings did?

I don't care what you say, no amount of money can cover bad coaching and lack of talented offensive leadership. Remember, without Childress, the Vikings would have probably have gone after a QB NOT named Jackson.

Remember, the Queens only made ONE major acquisition: Allen. And he's doing great. As for talented offensive leadership: My case in point? NE Patriots. No Brady and they lose to the Dolphins in embarrassing fashion.

Get rid of Childress, get a real QB and the Queens will turn it around.

Oxbow6 - Umm... Mauer turned out to be a better investment than Mark Prior. He hits over .300 every season. The problem is that he was drafted #2 overall and billed as something he's not: a power hitting catcher. He will be a power-hitting catcher the same year Nick Punto hits 25 HRs.

The problem is that the Twins are incredibly one sided. They are a true small ball team. They single and occasionally double you to death. That's not bad provided you can string them together, but it is hard to stay consistent in that. The most balanced teams tend to do the best.

I'll put it this way: The Twins defensively and even pitching (for the most part) have been pretty sound as of the last 5 years (pretty much). Now, take the Twins D, install the Dodgers or even Brewers middle of the order into the lineup, and suddenly the Twins are scary good.

If you walk Morneau, what's going to happen? Cuddyer? Please. I was right about him. He had a career season 2007-2008. He didn't exactly fall off the map, but he lost his health and wasn't consistent because of it.

Maybe Young will evolve into a power hitter. Gomez and Span will be just fine in the Twins current system. Pretty much right in the mold. No power, just singles and doubles and TONS of speed.

The problem is that you still don't have a real scary middle of the lineup. You need someone to either bat cleanup (with Morneau at #3) or #3 with Morneau at cleanup. Cuddyer at #5 and Mauer at #2 sandwiching them would make it a great lineup.

I don't care what you say, no amount of money can cover bad coaching and lack of talented offensive leadership. Remember, without Childress, the Vikings would have probably have gone after a QB NOT named Jackson.

Remember, the Queens only made ONE major acquisition: Allen. And he's doing great. As for talented offensive leadership: My case in point? NE Patriots. No Brady and they lose to the Dolphins in embarrassing fashion.

Get rid of Childress, get a real QB and the Queens will turn it around.

Oxbow6 - Umm... Mauer turned out to be a better investment than Mark Prior. He hits over .300 every season. The problem is that he was drafted #2 overall and billed as something he's not: a power hitting catcher. He will be a power-hitting catcher the same year Nick Punto hits 25 HRs.

The problem is that the Twins are incredibly one sided. They are a true small ball team. They single and occasionally double you to death. That's not bad provided you can string them together, but it is hard to stay consistent in that. The most balanced teams tend to do the best.

I'll put it this way: The Twins defensively and even pitching (for the most part) have been pretty sound as of the last 5 years (pretty much). Now, take the Twins D, install the Dodgers or even Brewers middle of the order into the lineup, and suddenly the Twins are scary good.

If you walk Morneau, what's going to happen? Cuddyer? Please. I was right about him. He had a career season 2007-2008. He didn't exactly fall off the map, but he lost his health and wasn't consistent because of it.

Maybe Young will evolve into a power hitter. Gomez and Span will be just fine in the Twins current system. Pretty much right in the mold. No power, just singles and doubles and TONS of speed.

The problem is that you still don't have a real scary middle of the lineup. You need someone to either bat cleanup (with Morneau at #3) or #3 with Morneau at cleanup. Cuddyer at #5 and Mauer at #2 sandwiching them would make it a great lineup.

Redwing, I agree. However, I'm not too sure how long Young will be around to develop into anything with the Twins.

Exactly. At that stage in the game, you need Mauer to try to find a gap for a double and score on a hit from Morneau. :( Mauer is my Carson Palmer of the MLB. Lots of talent but little substance, especially when it counts or matters. How many "average" MLB players drive in 80+ runs?

Yea lots of average players in baseball that win the American League batting title two out of three years and drive in 80+ runs. Oh yeah, they also play catcher, the most demanding position in baseball. Just because he doesn't hit for power, doesn't mean he won't be making 20 million a year the next contract he signs. Your just mad that after a few more games this year he won't be your quarterback. Twins had a great year and if they decide to spend a few more dollars they will have team that can compete to win it. As far as September goes (when it counts), Mauer hit better than any player on the team. Oh I forgot, not enough home runs.

The Twins didn't play very good team defense this year. Not surprising when the entire infield has below average range.

And lets ease up on Mauer. He's far and away the Twins MVP and one of the top 5 players in the game.

I agree with the thought that we need to ease up on Mauer, but Justin Morneau is without question the player who is far and away the Twins' MVP. Just look at the difference in RBIs.

RBIs are a really bad way of measuring player production. They're more a factor of where you hit in the lineup and whether or not the guys in front of you get on base than actual hitting skill. This is especially true when you realize Barry Bonds can hit .341/.529/.729 with 45 home runs and only drive in 90 runs (in 2003).

Morneau had the 10th best OPS and 15th most home runs out of all first basemen. Couple that with his below average defense and you've got a guy who's relying solely on RBI. Not exactly MVP stuff.

Mauer is the best catcher in baseball. His OPS was only 9 points lower than Morneau's and Mauer got on base more. He's playing a premium defensive position where offense is an afterthought compared to Morneau's position where defense is an afterthought and was even better offensively (higher VORP 55.5-45.5). Mauer is the MVP.

The Twins didn't play very good team defense this year. Not surprising when the entire infield has below average range.

And lets ease up on Mauer. He's far and away the Twins MVP and one of the top 5 players in the game.

He isn't the most valuable on his team--Nathan and Morneau are more valuable. Top 5?? Please! Top 5 catcher--yes, top 5 in the whole league is laughable.

He isn't the most valuable on his team--Nathan and Morneau are more valuable. Top 5?? Please! Top 5 catcher--yes, top 5 in the whole league is laughable.

Just gonna make that claim with nothing to back it up?

Mauer led the AL in wins against replacement player and win probability added. The NL leaders respectively were Albert Pujols and Lance Berkman (Pujols second in WPA).

Just gonna make that claim with nothing to back it up?

Mauer led the AL in wins against replacement player and win probability added. The NL leaders respectively were Albert Pujols and Lance Berkman (Pujols second in WPA).

Not going to get into a pissing match, but if YOU watched the Twins over the course of the whole year, Morneau and Nathan are more valuable and less replaceable than Mauer. Stats don't tell the whole story about a player or his season. Poll 20 Twins fans on this site and I'd be suprised if Mauer gets 5 "MVP" votes for his own team. But again to the true baseball fan and observer, Mauer is not one of the top 5 players in MLB.

soohockey brings up a great point, but...

I'm going to say Morneau would be missed more than Mauer offensively. Why? Well, take out Morneau, and you've got ZERO power hitters in your lineup.

Singles and doubles are great, but homers are one shot runs and are certainly worth having players in your lineup known for power hitting because of it.

Sure, it's better to have singles and doubles hitters around the power hitter to better the chance of putting more than one run on the board, but you take out the power hitter, your lineup isn't very scary.

I hate Barry Bonds, but they walked him 20000000 times for a reason. Even Morneau will never hit 45 HRs in a season... But I wouldn't sign Bonds regardless, not that it matters.