SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-2009 Roster

Stack

I started looking at the possiblities for next year's roster. I went with the likely possibility that Oshie, Duncan, Chorney, and Finley are leaving early.

What I was left with was:

Seniors: Kozek, Miller, Watkins, Martens, Jones, Walski

Juniors: Genoway, Zajac, Forney, VandeVelde

Sophomores: Trupp, Frattin, Marto, LaPoint, Davidson, Malone

Freshmen: Eidsness, Gregoire, Blood, Hextall, Lamoureux, Toews, Cichy, Bruneteau, MacWilliam, Gleason

(the talk is they will also add another goalie, I had Gleason coming in and Fienhage waiting a year)

Goalies: Eidsness, Walski, and ?

That would give us 7 defensemen with possible pairings of:

Jones, LaPoint

Blood, Genoway

Gleason, Marto

with MacWilliam trying to break the lineup

Possible forward lines:

Toews centering Kozek and Trupp

VandeVelde centering Watkins and Frattin

Cichy centering Gregoire and Hextall

Martens or Bruneteau centering Malone and Zajac

That leaves Miller, Davidson, Forney and either Bruneteau or Martens in the stands.

Of course this could all change depending if any of the four players I mention comes back as well as how these other players have developed.

Thoughts?

i say 5 forwards come in to replace 5 forwards and finehage or gleason come in or does macwilliam come in in 09 and bring in gleason and finhage in 08 - My Opinions

IN

toews-gregoire-cichy-hextall-lamoureux

blood-macwilliam or finehage or gleason? dont know this situation. have heard a couple different options

eidsness and another goalie

OUT

oshie-duncan-kaip-radke-kozek(not because hes nhl ready like 95% of players that go pro from college arent, because i think he will go :lol: )

finley-chorney-bina

lamoureux

heres a thread already about this that was done earlier in the year

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...;hl=2008+roster

Bruneteau has been out almost the whole year with concussion stuff so i dont see him coming in next year

I say forney leaves. Just looking at the whole team here for 08-09 and guessing

i may be missing someone here and there, if so let me know :lol:

Toews

gregoire

Trupp

VandeVelde

Watkins

Frattin

Lamoureux

Gregoire

Hextall

Martens

Malone

Zajac

davidson

miller

lapoint-genoway

marto-blood

finehage/gleason-jones

macwilliam

I think we can count on Kozek being here, as well as Duncan.

Odds are very good that we'll see Forney here next year as well. These threads sure get funny. Soon it will be full of people talking out of their asses about who is and who isn't ready to move on based on zero facts. Wish we could just finish this season first. :lol: I guess that is what we get. Damn Al Gore for inventing the internet. :lol:

Odds are very good that we'll see Forney here next year as well. These threads sure get funny. Soon it will be full of people talking out of their asses about who is and who isn't ready to move on based on zero facts. Wish we could just finish this season first. :0 I guess that is what we get. Damn Al Gore for inventing the internet. :lol:

what we cant speculate now? didnt know that wasnt allowed on ss. nothing wrong with checking out the future. 99% of all other threads discuss the current season or something close to it. sorry but arent all message boards full of fans talking out of their asses? :lol: and for the record i want forney back and want him to get back to his form so badly and am pulling for him. just pure speculation guessing out of my ass ;)

I think so, too and I also think Chorney will be be here as well. I would like to think Finley will still be here but I'm thinking his club may want him.

Chorney and Finley will both be gone. As will Oshie. After that, I'm not sure.

I agree with other posters that we may get Duncan for another year. And while Kozek's stock has definitely gone up with his increased performance this year, he will probably be back as well.

But there is no way that Oshie, Chorney, or Finley come back for their senior seasons. Regardless of how this team ends their season.

I think so, too and I also think Chorney will be be here as well. I would like to think Finley will still be here but I'm thinking his club may want him.

i say all 4 above mentioned will be gone, just a guess of course if we are allowed to do that in a thread that discusses the future :lol:

I think there's as big of a chance that VV leaves as Duncan, if not bigger.

http://wiki.siouxsports.com/doku.php/2008_..._fighting_sioux

Forwards (19)

# Name Position Class

7 T.J. Oshie F Senior

8 Ryan Martens F Senior

10 Andrew Kozek F Senior

14 Brad Miller F Senior

16 Ryan Duncan F Senior

20 Matt Watkins F Senior

11 Darcy Zajac F Junior

29 Chris VandeVelde F Junior

18 Michael Forney F Sophomore/Junior

15 Brent Davidson F Sophomore

19 Evan Trupp F Sophomore

21 Matt Frattin F Sophomore

22 Brad Malone F Sophomore

Brett Bruneteau F Freshman

Mike Cichy F Freshman

Jason Gregoire F Freshman

Brett Hextall F Freshman

Mario Lamoureux F Freshman

David Toews F Freshman

Defensemen (10)

# Name Position Class

2 Joe Finley D Senior

4 Taylor Chorney D Senior

6 Zach Jones D Senior

5 Chay Genoway D Junior

3 Derrick LaPoint D Sophomore

25 Jake Marto D Sophomore

Ben Blood D Freshman

Corey Fienhage D Freshman

Joe Gleason D Freshman

Andrew MacWilliam D Freshman

Goalies (3)

# Name Position Class

30 Aaron Walski G Senior

Landon Snider G Sophomore

Brad Eidsness G Freshman

Obviously we will lose some players, and a couple of those D-men might not come.

I think there's as big of a chance that VV leaves as Duncan, if not bigger.

Why? If he does it is because he wants too and does not care for the college game. He has a lot of work to do before he is anywhere near NHL ready. If he wants to ride buses in the minors for the next 3 or 4 years go ahead and go. Toews leaving after two years or Parise fine. VV is no where near that category.

Why? If he does it is because he wants too and does not care for the college game. He has a lot of work to do before he is anywhere near NHL ready. If he wants to ride buses in the minors for the next 3 or 4 years go ahead and go. Toews leaving after two years or Parise fine. VV is no where near that category.

I didn't say he was a Toews or Parise, nor do I think he is NHL ready yet. I'm just saying, never rule out a kid wanting to play AHL because he DOES get paid to play in the minors. Chris has all the tools to become an NHLer, and if Edmonton pushes hard enough, they may get him to sign. At an NHL perspective, Chris VandeVelde is more ready to leave than Ryan Duncan is.

Who thought a guy like Brian Lee was ready to leave? Yes, Brian was a higher draft pick...but he wasn't any more ready to play AHL than VV is right now.

I'm not saying Chris is going to leave, I'm just saying don't count him out for leaving.

My two cents:

Duncan leaves along with Oshie. St Louis really liked Duncan at their camp and I think he'll jump

Kozek stays. Until this year He was a decent player but at times played on the 4th line. He's got a great shot and can play in the NHL but I think he'll stay through his senior year.

VandeVelde stays. He has progressed the fastest of the sophomores. He's strong on the puck and has developed his passing. He now needs to start scoring more. One more year for sure.

Forney? I really don't know the story but with all of his injuries and hype who knows? I felt he should have done what Quinn Fylling did after his freshman year and went to the USHL for a year. I'm guessing he's played 6-8 games over his first two years. Tough to develop when you don't play. I don't know if he is just not that good, always hurt, or what. With all of his hype I'd expect him to play regularly. I'll agree with AZsioux and say he's going someplace next year and not stay with the Sioux.

I forgot about Bruneteau's concussion. He won't be here next year.

From the talk in the cities Gleason is ready now. Fienhage is a little like Finley and needs some time to develop his skating. I'm expecting Gleason next year and Fienhage to play a year in the USHL.

The guy I've heard very little about is MacWilliam. Anyone have any insight?

Currently the players I think need to step up their play next year are Miller, Zajac, and Malone. Miller has been sitting recently. Zajac and Malone are playing but are not that noticeable which is bad for a forward.

I'm also hoping that Martens continues to improve and gets better and better. He creates when he's onthe ice but needs to improve his defensive play.

With Bina gone and Finley and Chorney probably gone we will be very young on the blue line. Very scary in the WCHA.

I agree with most of what you said except Malone. Brad isn't putting up a ton of points, but he's there for the defensive aspect of a forwards job and that's why he never sits out. For a freshman, Brad has done plenty to help the team. Zajac and Miller need to start producing.

Regarding Chorney & Vande Velde, this was on Brad's blog a few days ago:

Guy Flaming, who does The Pipeline radio show in Edmonton, interviewed the Player Development Coach for the Oilers. He talked about both Taylor Chorney and Chris VandeVelde and their futures with Edmonton. He says Chorney doesn't have anything left to accomplish in college, but he thinks VandeVelde is a four-year guy.

Regarding Chorney & Vande Velde, this was on Brad's blog a few days ago:

Funny how that works...Genoway is the best defenseman on the Sioux bar none....especially from an offensive perspective and he is undrafted. Chorney has been OK this year but not great in my humble opinion