SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs PIONEERS

AZSIOUX

It might not have been our best all around performance, but I thought it was the best forecheck and best puck movement we've seen from the forwards since the start of the season. We wore them down with four lines.

Defense wasn't that bad either. The goals that DU scored were all about puck luck.

DO NOT CRUCIFY ME, RIDICULE MY LEGITIMACY TO MAKE COMMENTS, OR CALL ME NOT A TRUE SIOUX FAN, but seriously...Lapoint...the guy is not getting it done out there. I hope the kid turns it around, but he was noticeably a liability out there tonight.

KEEP WINNING! I do not want to draw UNH, WI in Madison, or CC in CS in a regional...give me a nice CCHA or ECAC route in.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might not have been our best all around performance, but I thought it was the best forecheck and best puck movement we've seen from the forwards since the start of the season. We wore them down with four lines.

Defense wasn't that bad either. The goals that DU scored were all about puck luck.

DO NOT CRUCIFY ME, RIDICULE MY LEGITIMACY TO MAKE COMMENTS, OR CALL ME NOT A TRUE SIOUX FAN, but seriously...Lapoint...the guy is not getting it done out there. I hope the kid turns it around, but he was noticeably a liability out there tonight.

KEEP WINNING! I do not want to draw UNH, WI in Madison, or CC in CS in a regional...give me a nice CCHA or ECAC route in.

I'm not going to call you a name. I'm just going to say you're wrong.

I thought he wasn't remarkable out there, but hardly a liability.

I'll just say this: Marto surely appreciates your pining for him.

And I'll add this: Eades (and Hakstol) play LaPoint. That's all I need to know to know that you're wrong about LaPoint.

It wasn't his best game of the year, by far.

Goal 1 - if he stays on his skates on the initial shot, the second shot is an easy save.

Goal 2 - didn't shut the 5 hole - it was a 2-1 though

Goal 3 - didn't control 1st shot, led to 2 rebounds - it was a 4-2 though

Goal 4 - bad coverage - where was Trupp?

It's especially tough on the team when you give 3 light ones, especially when you control possession and territory for most of the game.

It was good to see the team shake all the above off and play a great 3rd period, including Lammy. Hopefully he got this one out of his system.

Didn't see first goal.

Second goal was WEAK.

Third goal was somewhat of a fluke.

Fourth goal should have been waved off due to a holding penalty on Jackson (I think) who lost his glove and hauled Trupp down.

I'm not going to call you a name. I'm just going to say you're wrong.

I thought he wasn't remarkable out there, but hardly a liability.

I'll just say this: Marto surely appreciates your pining for him.

And I'll add this: Eades (and Hakstol) play LaPoint. That's all I need to know to know that you're wrong about LaPoint.

He must play AWESOME in practice but, as of yet anyway, he is not doing so in games... not that he is making killer mistakes, but he just seems to be a 1/2 step behind the play or in the play and responding just a bit too slow. In any event, you need to play to learn to play at this level and Eades and Hak have seen enough to at least feel he is not a liability so that is enough for me for now... we had this same conversation about Lammy a few years back and we are seeing how that turned out (tonights result but not "hung him out to dry" play excepted)... By the way, if you could have a "You Gotta Give Him Credit Award" in hockey, both Duncan and Oshie showed what it means to contribute without being a "Star" on the board with the way they played tonight. They may not get the interview or the press in the coverage for tonights game, but they were THE DIFFERENCE in tonights game and I am just ver releaved to have someone like Kozek who works equally hard to capitalize off their efforts and his own outstanding personal skills.

Kozek... The future of Sioux Hockey!!!

[KOZEK FOR HOBEY 2009!!!]

Redwing, from one Redwing alias to another, I am going to have to respectfully disagree. That's ok, its America :D

Hak also plays Marto, and I am not lobbying for the Jake either, in fact I think he is often a liability too. They are freshmen. I guess I can't expect them to be superstars. You know, I hope they become great. Finley and Smaby and Greene weren't exactly studs their first years either.

On a positive note, I do agree with you whole heartedly on those comments regarding Denver's goals.

Big Joe leads the league in plus minus. He took a stupid penalty tonight, and he pulled a bush-league move in the handshake line, but I'll take a 6-7 252lb plus minus leading defenseman any time.

On D, Genoway has been a stud, Bina has been a rock, Jones has been solid, Finley has played better than my expectations of the man, Chorney has been disappointing, and the freshmen have been freshmen.

Finly still isnt a stud.. lets be serious here

He is this year. He had a pretty bad game tonight but which D-man didn't (with the exception of G-way and Jones)? Seriously though, the D played horrible tonight and we still got a win. I think it had to do with the way Denver keeps a guy out at the line to break. I have never seen some many odd man rushes. They didn't have that many chances but they converted them all where as the Sioux left 2+ out there. This loss shouldreally hurt Denver and hopefully we give them the dagger tomorrow.

Finly still isnt a stud.. lets be serious here

I'll be serious too:

POST SOBER.

UNDLAW- Fair enough. I too agree. You gotta play to learn.

Yzerman19- Sure! They're both freshmen, so why come down on them ALL the time like you do? LaPoint has contributed offensively at times. He's looked good at times. He's looked like a freshman at times. If you campaign so much that a defenseman has to be able to contribute offensively to be good, then you should be harder on Marto. He does play (I expect we'll see him Saturday), but he has...what...1 assist and 0 goals?

Big Joe leads the league in plus minus. He took a stupid penalty tonight, and he pulled a bush-league move in the handshake line, but I'll take a 6-7 252lb plus minus leading defenseman any time.

On D, Genoway has been a stud, Bina has been a rock, Jones has been solid, Finley has played better than my expectations of the man, Chorney has been disappointing, and the freshmen have been freshmen.

jones made a play 1 on 1 i believe in the 3rd late that was just perfect. the player tried to dance around him and he flat stood him up. we won. im not worried about lapoint, marto or anyone....freshman will make freshman mistakes and the rest of the D has been rock solid the whole year. not a great game overall tonight but they battled back. 1 bad penalty by finley after getting beat wbut oh well. we got the win and you move one. too much on this board we reflect on 1 bad play and then get down on a player. great comeback tonight by the team.

Duncan and Oshie showed what it means to contribute without being a "Star" on the board with the way they played tonight. They may not get the interview or the press in the coverage for tonights game, but they were THE DIFFERENCE in tonights game and I am just ver releaved to have someone like Kozek who works equally hard to capitalize off their efforts and his own outstanding personal skills.

Kozek... The future of Sioux Hockey!!!

[KOZEK FOR HOBEY 2009!!!]

You're hardly going out on a limb to claim that the difference came from 16 and 7. Duncan had 4 points, Oshie had one and was, at times to the detriment of the team, his usual one-man wrecking crew (I say detriment because at times he tries to win the game himself and because he's capable of doing so, it seems like the rest of the team sits back and waits for him to get them back in it).

The real DIFFERENCE tonight? 2 penalties for 4 minutes. When was the last time we took so few penalties?

Sorry if I'm rehashing stuff already said, I just got home from the game. My voice is gone and my arms ache from clapping. Great game to watch.

You're hardly going out on a limb to claim that the difference came from 16 and 7. Duncan had 4 points, Oshie had one and was, at times to the detriment of the team, his usual one-man wrecking crew (I say detriment because at times he tries to win the game himself and because he's capable of doing so, it seems like the rest of the team sits back and waits for him to get them back in it).

The real DIFFERENCE tonight? 2 penalties for 4 minutes. When was the last time we took so few penalties?

Sorry if I'm rehashing stuff already said, I just got home from the game. My voice is gone and my arms ache from clapping. Great game to watch.

they let them play tonight and that was nice to see for a change!

I've never said that a defenseman has to contribute offensively to be good. I don't come down on Jones! I will agree that I routinely complain about the freshmen D. I probably am overly hard on Lapoint. With that concession however, one of Lapoint's goals was a last second tap on a Duncan shot that was rolling in (CC game). Anyway, I just wanted to add that I don't think a d-man has to score to be highly regarded in my book. The best d-men in my opinion are the ones who can clear out the front of the net, who don't get caught up out of position, and who can transition the puck up ice for the breakout.

Instead of me defending why I am unimpressed, why are you so impressed? Just curious if I am missing something that you might be seeing.

Totally agree AZ! What a win. Interestingly enough, I never got upset in this game, even down 4-1. I was pleased with how they played as a whole, and I just felt like it might be one of those games where you don't get bounces. Well, the team really showed me something tonight. Battling back like that, wow! Let's hope they don't have comeback hangover tomorrow night.

A number one seed would be so great, especially if the combination of our play and NH's play keeps us out of each other's bracket. I don't really want to see them with VanRiemsdyk.

This Freeman guy was ok tonight. The teams were both there to try to win the game.

It was nice to see hockey like that.

The announcement after the hat trick was anything thrown on the ice that wasn't an hat would result in a UND penalty.

This Freeman guy was ok tonight. The teams were both there to try to win the game.

It was nice to see hockey like that.

The announcement after the hat trick was anything thrown on the ice that wasn't an hat would result in a UND penalty.

when you dot know the refs names thats a great sign and that means the teams are playing hockey without many whistles. i watched the first 10 minutes of the msu/uw game and sheppard really wanted some face time again. exciting win tonight

great character win

Wow! After 300+ posts for the game and I post once... who would have thought I would have been picked on at all.

I was referring ONLY to the play of Oshie and Duncan not being the players of the game (which is the case when you linemate has a hat trick and you defense plays lke crapola!), and not degrading their play, If I was going to degrade anyone for today it would be: 1) Lammy (for goals 2 and 3)... they left you hanging but you gotta earn your cudos... 2) Hak... I would have done it too but you can't get caught on tape... do it in the hallway or after the game or get his cel phone number and tell him at 4:00 a.m. after having a few; and 3) to the ENTIRE FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY TEAM... you are starting to play like the team we always knew you were but who you are just recently thinking you can be...

I will accept failure in true effort, but true failure in the absence of effort in unexcusable. I like the second half of you and look forward to you redeeming yourself with success number 8.