SiouxSports.com Forum

power play

siouxweet

After the Mankato series everyone was talking about how are power play was much improved from earlier in the year, and the coaches said it was basically from finally getting across to the guys-just shoot the puck. well, the last two weekends our power play has looked horrendus(sp) and there is no shooting the puck. I can't tell you how many times this last weekend our d-men at the point couldn't keep the puck in the zone as well. overall-I think we would have been better off declining the power play. I hope over the next two weeks the coaches can this corrected.

Obviously, our guys need to quit looking for the perfect play and simply just start shooting and looking for rebounds on the PP. The defensemen need to know what the other is doing. If one is going to jump up to try to hold a puck in, the other one needs to slide back to play defense. We're giving up way too many breakaways when we're shorthanded, and most of the time, it's due to the defensemen attempting to pinch and getting beat off the boards.

Obviously, our guys need to quit looking for the perfect play and simply just start shooting and looking for rebounds on the PP. The defensemen need to know what the other is doing. If one is going to jump up to try to hold a puck in, the other one needs to slide back to play defense. We're giving up way too many breakaways when we're shorthanded, and most of the time, it's due to the defensemen attempting to pinch and getting beat off the boards.

Yup.

I can't tell you what is the right amount of passing or cycling on the powerplay, but I can tell you that nothing comes of a power play if you don't shoot the puck. The power plays that ran basically the last half of the second period and first part of the third period were so awful that I'm not sure the Gophers had to do much at all except stand in front of their net. We let our passing clear the zone for them. Kangas could probably have caught up on school work because we were too busy looking for that cross crease pass or the "perfect shot."

I love garbage goals. They're not pretty, but the count the same as the pretty ones.

Let's not forget that our best powerplay shooter was in the locker room on Saturday night. Forwards need to be more aggressive and not playing zone offense. Make one guy miss and its 2 on 1 every time on the powerplay. Should be give and go or shot on net right then and there.

I know one thing teams do to get shots is to pass across from point to point to get the open lane. I've noticed Chorney and Bina stand relatively close together this year when they are passing to each other, so it doesn't require a big shift from the defense to get in the lane. While I question whether that is being effective, I realize I don't know enough about PP systems to know what else they might be trying to accomplish, but from my seats I wonder if this is one reason why they are not getting a lot of shots from the point, anyway.

Let's not forget that our best powerplay shooter was in the locker room on Saturday night. Forwards need to be more aggressive and not playing zone offense. Make one guy miss and its 2 on 1 every time on the powerplay. Should be give and go or shot on net right then and there.

Yeah, it would have been a huge difference if Duncan had not shown a "lack of mental conditioning" and instead been on the ice on Saturday night. :angry:

I'm with Dagies. Seems that the guys on the points are too close together at times, allowing for one guy to cover both. Teams are also figuring out that being aggressive on the penalty kill against UND is very disruptive. The Sioux point men seem to panic more than in years past when teams are putting on the pressure. Genoway has been getting better at countering this, though. I remember Roche being great at this, too.

Two observations from an admittedly ignorant hockey fan:

The Gophers' penalty kill is more vertical than horizontal in that their system puts two forwards above the circles, which forces the power play out further from the slot. Minnesota is counting on forcing the play out of the zone and requiring the attacking team to touch up and restart their cycle, or jumping a cross-ice pass along the blue line and creating a short-handed opportunity for themselves.

I've wondered for quite awhile if the Sioux aren't trying to create a "clear out" by overloading one side of the ice and sneaking the free forward deep for a back door pass.

I agree Mikejm the Sioux need to work on the power play down low as a three on two vs always working it from the blueline where its easy to defend by applying pressure to the pointmen.

1. Why is everyone :D all of a sudden agreeing with me!?!?!?!?! First its Trunk Monkey and now you! Get your own opinions! :lol:

2. I think they are trying to work the play down low, but it seems they are aiming to get all four defenders on one side of the ice and sneak a back door on the back side. Minnesota just didn't allow the puck to get below the dots.

As a basketball player in high school, I knew next to nothing about hockey until I came to UND many moons ago. One of the things that drove me nuts is when guys would pass the puck around and never shoot. I've since learned to appreciate everything about hockey, especially UND hockey, but I've never ever been able to figure out our reluctance to shoot the puck on the power play and I never will. We are the other's teams best penalty killers 85% of the time. We could be skating 5 on 0 and it would still take us at least 30 seconds to get a shot off.

As a basketball player in high school, I knew next to nothing about hockey until I came to UND many moons ago. One of the things that drove me nuts is when guys would pass the puck around and never shoot. I've since learned to appreciate everything about hockey, especially UND hockey, but I've never ever been able to figure out our reluctance to shoot the puck on the power play and I never will. We are the other's teams best penalty killers 85% of the time. We could be skating 5 on 0 and it would still take us at least 30 seconds to get a shot off.

Now that is just crazy talk :D but from what I have witnessed the last couple of series, spot on. We looked more confused and disorganized on the PP than a Britney Spears run daycare center. :lol:

I know one thing teams do to get shots is to pass across from point to point to get the open lane. I've noticed Chorney and Bina stand relatively close together this year when they are passing to each other, so it doesn't require a big shift from the defense to get in the lane. While I question whether that is being effective, I realize I don't know enough about PP systems to know what else they might be trying to accomplish, but from my seats I wonder if this is one reason why they are not getting a lot of shots from the point, anyway.

Good thing you mentioned your lack of knowledge on the power play cause it shows in this post. This is for all of you on here...so take note:

A.) The lack of shooting is not the primary problem, the primary problem is having too many guys stand around and do nothing. Just because you are on the power play doesn't mean stand still. Right now they aren't looking for the perfect shot because they aren't doing anything creative enough to be looking for the perfect shot. Give and Go's, Back Door Plays and opening up lanes is all a product of moving.

B.) Yes, the two defenseman are supposed to be standing close together on the powerplay. The idea is to create two on one's in their zone when your on the powerplay. The further apart you stand, the easier those passes are to either intercept or for the goalie to adjust to. Right now, i'd say throw the puck down low and work it from the corner or the wall just to switch it up.

C.) Shooting the puck does not do any good if you don't get it to the net. As of now, Genoway is the only one who has been creative enough out there to get the puck to the net. Robbie Bina is so god awful at getting the puck to the net it hurts. And those short passes, as mentioned above, are what create the lanes the get the puck on net.

D.) Where not having Mr. Toews hurts the most is on this very power play. Doesn't matter who you throw out there, it's not close to the talent level Toews was at and the PP is designed to let your skill players do their thing.

Shooting the puck helps, yes, but you better be shooting it with the right intentions behind it.

Two observations from an admittedly ignorant hockey fan:

The Gophers' penalty kill is more vertical than horizontal in that their system puts two forwards above the circles, which forces the power play out further from the slot. Minnesota is counting on forcing the play out of the zone and requiring the attacking team to touch up and restart their cycle, or jumping a cross-ice pass along the blue line and creating a short-handed opportunity for themselves.

I've wondered for quite awhile if the Sioux aren't trying to create a "clear out" by overloading one side of the ice and sneaking the free forward deep for a back door pass.

I disagree for the sole reason that I can't have you getting a big ego on us. :lol: