SiouxSports.com Forum

Blackberry

CDog

It depends what you are using it for. I spend a lot of time in meetings, which I feel very unproductive. Being able to communicate via email during a meeting is a plus.

The browser comes in handy looking up information. Once I was stuck in traffic on I-10, not moving for 40 minutes, on the way to Louisiana a couple of months ago and was able to pull up SiouxSports.com and follow the game from people posting.

The only minus is also a plus, you are in constant contact. I have an 8830 and love it.

I have had a Treo for about a year and liked it. I just ordered the Pearl and it should arrive today! I will let you know what I think.

GeauxSioux - how does SS.com work on yours? My old Treo loads the message boards well, but does a bad job on the main page. I am hoping for better luck with the BlackBerry. If it doesn't work well I will be great full for the 30 day return policy from Verizon!

Go Sioux!

I have had a Treo for about a year and liked it. I just ordered the Pearl and it should arrive today! I will let you know what I think.

GeauxSioux - how does SS.com work on yours? My old Treo loads the message boards well, but does a bad job on the main page. I am hoping for better luck with the BlackBerry. If it doesn't work well I will be great full for the 30 day return policy from Verizon!

Go Sioux!

Thanks, I'll be very interested in hearing your thoughts. I'm leaning towards the Pearl.

Go Sioux!

The only message board that I view on it is SiouxSports and it works great.

The Blackberry has a map function, which is nice. I use it occasionally, since I don't have GPS. I think that you can add GPS to the Blackerry for $10/month.

The 8830 also allows you to open attachments to emails such as PDF and JPG files.

The message board should render fine on most modern devices.

Other parts of the site will render fine on advanced devices (e.g. iPhone), but "degrade gracefully" on browsers that don't fully support Javascript. For example, the dropdown menus become long lists of the options that would have been available in the dropdown menus on a more fully feature browser.

If you're just trying to get scores in a hurry or just read the message board, the mobile version was designed for phones with minimal web browsing capability, displaying only low-bandwidth text.

The message board should render fine on most modern devices.

Other parts of the site will render fine on advanced devices (e.g. iPhone), but "degrade gracefully" on browsers that don't fully support Javascript. For example, the dropdown menus become long lists of the options that would have been available in the dropdown menus on a more fully feature browser.

If you're just trying to get scores in a hurry or just read the message board, the mobile version was designed for phones with minimal web browsing capability, displaying only low-bandwidth text.

Wow, I never even knew there was a mobile version. Not that my phone will show it anyways, it is just a freebie. But neat never the less, maybe some day!

I had a Pearl. The keyboard frustrated me. Now I have the Curve, I really like it. I wish it had video capture, though. I've grown to love Blacberry's product line. As crazy as this sounds, think of them as a small boutique company. They make one product and do it well. Other devices are one of many in a big manufacturer's line. I don't know the tech terms but, Blackberry's email is some sort of true email device where you receive emails instantaneously. Whereas, other devices are programmed to reach out to the mail server every 10-15 minutes. This reaching out also robs battery life. I've had Windows-based devices. In my opinion, Blackberry's blow them away. I believe I.T. network guys prefer them also. I could be wrong.

Does anyone want to guess when you will be able to puchase and use Apple's iPhone in ND? That's what I am holding out for.

The iPhone is available only from ATT for the next couple of years. Unless ATT starts putting up towers in ND you won't be able to use it. The problem is the iPhone runs on the GSM network which is what ATT, T-Mobile, and most of Europe use. Verizon, Sprint, and Alltel use CDMA which is why ATT and T-Mobile do not work in ND. Bottom line, until Apple and ATT's exclusive deal runs out Apple won't be manufacturing any CDMA devices.

The iPhone is available only from ATT for the next couple of years. Unless ATT starts putting up towers in ND you won't be able to use it. The problem is the iPhone runs on the GSM network which is what ATT, T-Mobile, and most of Europe use. Verizon, Sprint, and Alltel use CDMA which is why ATT and T-Mobile do not work in ND. Bottom line, until Apple and ATT's exclusive deal runs out Apple won't be manufacturing any CDMA devices.

I believe there is a hack out there that allows the iPhone to work on T-Mobile's network, but, since T-M doesn't have towers in ND either, we're still out of luck up here. I've heard something about Google developing a phone and operating system that will work on almost any network and be as nice as the iPhone, but I guess it's still a couple years away.

• 4 weeks later...
Is everybody here still happy with their Blackberry's? Mr. Siouxmama just got a pearl a few days ago, and I've been playing around with it. I'm due for an upgrade also, and was wondering how everyone felt about them yet.

You're due for an upgrade? WTF didn't you just get your phone?

Is everybody here still happy with their Blackberry's? Mr. Siouxmama just got a pearl a few days ago, and I've been playing around with it. I'm due for an upgrade also, and was wondering how everyone felt about them yet.

I have had mine for about a month now and absolutely love it! I am not so sure my Fiancee would agree as she is always yelling at me for checking the message board when we are out. As far as the keyboard - it took me about a day to get the hang of it. It is not a full on QWERTY, but if you have ever used T9WORD for text messaging this is 10 times easier to learn. Because the keyboard is not a full on QWERTY, it allows the Pearl to be so much smaller than any other device out there.

I was also very impressed with the turn around from Verizon regarding the rebate. I received the $50 check in the mail before I even had to pay for my phone!

This is by far the best phone I have ever owned. As I posted previously I have used flip phones, Palm, and Windows based devices and this blows all of them away!