SiouxSports.com Forum

Pro-GFAFB Petition

The Sicatoka

Rally for the base, May 7, 10am

A rally in support of Grand Forks Air Force Base will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at a location to be announced shortly.
Anyone who supports Grand Forks Air Force Base is invited to attend the rally, said Marshall, who along with the state's congressional delegation and the governor will be speaking at the event.

"We are going to speak on the value of supporting this base, and to let those who are making the decisions know that this community supports this base."

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/11557270.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Saturday!!! Why don't they just have it out at University Park and say that all of the drunk college kids are there in support of the GFAFB. That would be a couple extra thousand right there and would make the rally a little more entertaining ;)

KVLY was reporting this yesterday:

Grand Forks Air Force Base May be on the Closure List

Neil Carlson

Clouds could be gathering over the future of the Grand Forks Air Force Base. A high level source implied Thursday that the base may be on the closure list. BRAC, or the Base Realignment and Closure Commission, is scheduled to release a list of bases it recommends for closure next week. The Grand Forks Air Base dumps nearly 400-million dollars a year into the region's economy. But now, John Marshall, Chairman of the Grand Forks Base Retention Committee, is worried all that could disappear. John Marshall says, "Am I concerned? Yes, I’m very concerned." Reporter: "Meaning you’re getting the indication we could be on the list?" Marshall: "I'm very concerned." Marshall would not elaborate. Marshall: "I can't, Neil. You know it. You can read between the lines, Neil, but you know doggone well I can't do it. If I could say it, I'd tell you." Grand Forks was originally on the closure list during the last round of base closings, but some how managed to get off the list. Officials have never revealed how. So whether it makes it through this latest round, won't be officially known until next week. North Dakota Governor John Hoeven comment, "We're doing all we can, but yes, I'm very concerned." Officials say that once a base is put on the closure list, it's very difficult to be taken off. A Pentagon spokesman says the list of bases up for closure will be released next Thursday or Friday. Senator Kent Conrad has sent a letter to Defense Secretary Rumsfeld stressing the importance of North Dakota bases. That letter was signed by the State's Congressional Delegation and Governor Hoeven.

If GFAFB is on the closing list, the Grand Forks community has its work cut out for it over the next two years. Could its hangars attract the Cirrus jet plant to GFAFB? Would a cargo hub locate there? Could it become a maintenance hub for aircraft? Could non-aerspace manufacturing be lured there? Long shot, but would it be a candidate for producing the new Air Force tankers? Could its housing be remade into a middle class housing development? Although it is hard to see this as a positive, if three or more of these options can be realized, economically, it could become approach parity, or even be a blessing in disguise. But if it closes, the ideas, discipline, and worldview of base personal would be irreplaceable to the community.

Don't give up; but don't let up either.

This story hit the AP wires late Friday, May 06, 2005:

Far fewer military bases are likely to be closed and realigned than originally foreseen, ...

Rumsfeld said surplus base capacity is not as great as earlier estimated ...

"Without final figures, I would say the percent will be less than half of the 20 to 25 percent that has been characterized previously," Rumsfeld said in a conference call Thursday with newspaper editorial writers across the country, according to two writers who were on the call.

[url="http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=90942

If GFAFB is on the closing list, the Grand Forks community has its work cut out for it over the next two years.  Could its hangars attract the Cirrus jet plant to GFAFB?  Would a cargo hub locate there?  Could it become a maintenance hub for aircraft?  Could non-aerspace manufacturing be lured there?  Long shot, but would it be a candidate for producing the new Air Force tankers?  Could its housing be remade into a middle class housing development?  Although it is hard to see this as a positive, if three or more of these options can be realized,  economically, it could become approach parity, or even be a blessing in disguise.  But if it closes, the ideas, discipline, and worldview of base personal would be irreplaceable to the community.

I think, if it were to come to this, the words "free trade zone" need to come into play. Bring in the planes and repair parts from wherever (no taxes/tariffs) and let folks from the region earn the good dollars doing the skilled labor repairs on aircraft. Heck, why not build the entire aircraft in a free trade zone?

There are probably many other possibilities like that.

I can't find it right now, but an AP story in the Sunday GF Herald had the commander (Becklund) of the Happy Hooligans (119th ANG out of Fargo) saying he was worried that they may be on the BRAC list because they are flying the oldest F-16s in the entire DoD. (It was an AP story in the Sunday GF Herald.)

The story also mentioned that only 50 people showed up at the Fargo "Save the Base" rally. AP reports say over 250 in GF and 350 in Minot (not that any of those numbers matter to BRAC and DoD).

If GFAFB is on the closing list, the Grand Forks community has its work cut out for it over the next two years.  Could its hangars attract the Cirrus jet plant to GFAFB?  Would a cargo hub locate there?  Could it become a maintenance hub for aircraft?  Could non-aerspace manufacturing be lured there?  Long shot, but would it be a candidate for producing the new Air Force tankers?  Could its housing be remade into a middle class housing development?  Although it is hard to see this as a positive, if three or more of these options can be realized,  economically, it could become approach parity, or even be a blessing in disguise.  But if it closes, the ideas, discipline, and worldview of base personal would be irreplaceable to the community.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that losing the base would have a profound impact on the community and state on a number of levels, not including the economic. I think if GFAFB closes, the leadership in the state/community is going to have really push themselves to utilize the potential of the site. However, I don't have a great deal of confidence in their abilities to come up with a viable solution. These guys lost Cirrus to Duluth in the first place, as well a number of other deals.

The most logical use would be for aircraft maintenance for an airline or hardcore leasing shop like GE Capital or ILFC, freight forwarding or some type of manufacturing facility. The proximity to the Canada, a rail spur, I-29 and its point on the globe would have some appeal, but it also requires some serious thought and people to increase their risk tolerance. I would also venture that perhaps a federal prison at some level could be located there.

With regard to the tanker contracts, I believe that Airbus has already slotted three states for contention, but I can't remember which states are in contention, but they are all in the south(?).

I agree that losing the base would have a profound impact on the community and state on a number of levels, not including the economic. I think if GFAFB closes, the leadership in the state/community is going to have really push themselves to utilize the potential of the site. However, I don't have a great deal of confidence in their abilities to come up with a viable solution. These guys lost Cirrus to Duluth in the first place, as well a number of other deals.

The most logical use would be for aircraft maintenance for an airline or hardcore leasing shop like GE Capital or ILFC, freight forwarding or some type of manufacturing facility. The proximity to the Canada, a rail spur, I-29 and its point on the globe would have some appeal, but it also requires some serious thought and people to increase their risk tolerance. I would also venture that perhaps a federal prison at some level could be located there.

With regard to the tanker contracts, I believe that Airbus has already slotted three states for contention, but I can't remember which states are in contention, but they are all in the south(?).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cirrus announces major expansion in GF:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/11605146.htm

Cirrus Design is planning a monumental expansion at its Grand Forks plant that could create more than 350 new jobs in the next three years, the company said Monday.

The total project cost is $12 million, most of which would come from low-interest government loans. The state, led by the Bank of North Dakota, is to lend $7.5 million and the city's Growth Fund is to lend $2.27 million. In addition, Cirrus Design would get a five-year property tax abatement on the plant addition.

By the company's reckoning, it will employ more than 600 by 2008. Assuming present wage levels, yearly payroll would total $16 million.

Although it is hard to see this as a positive, if three or more of these options can be realized,  economically, it could become approach parity, or even be a blessing in disguise.

As with anything in life, it won't be the decision, it'll be how one responds to it and what is made of the situation.

Some examples:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm...18&section=news

"You look at where bases have closed and the financial impact is devastating," said Marshall, who is in his third round of trying to save the base. "You look at what happened to us in the [1997]flood and this would be even worse than that was."

Good Lord, John. Get a grip, go to one of your BK stores and have a Whopper and fries. ;)

Hysteria and crying will not save the base. However, to minimize the impact the so-called leaders will need to develop realistic contingency plans to fully utilize the assets left behind. In the stories referenced in earlier posts, the communities that survived, and thrived, after a base closing seem to have made a concerted effort to make the best of a bad situation. I think the local and state leaders are remiss in their duties if they have not seriously considered what they would do with the base after it closed. Closing the base would have some serious negative impacts, but how long they last is dependent on those who in positions of leadership and power. Frankly, I don't think Marshall and certain others are fit to fill those roles.

Good Lord, John. Get a grip, go to one of your BK stores and have a Whopper and fries. ;)

Hysteria and crying will not save the base. However, to minimize the impact the so-called leaders will need to develop realistic contingency plans to fully utilize the assets left behind. In the stories referenced in earlier posts, the communities that survived, and thrived, after a base closing seem to have made a concerted effort to make the best of a bad situation. I think the local and state leaders are remiss in their duties if they have not seriously considered what they would do with the base after it closed. Closing the base would have some serious negative impacts, but how long they last is dependent on those who in positions of leadership and power. Frankly, I don't think Marshall and certain others are fit to fill those roles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope our leaders have looked at plans at what to do with the base if it is closed. If they haven't, they will pay for it in the long run. In fairness to John Marshall, it is not his job or should it be his concern right now, talking about future plans involving the base. . His position of basically the middle man between the base and the city, and his main job is saving the base. Our political leaders have to step up and turn the negative into a positive if the base is closed, or the doomsday results, like Marshall has said will happen, will become a reality.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I'm just not sure there are people living in this town that know and realize what kind of impact the base has on this town. I talked to the owner of a business and he said he doesn't think the closing of the base would have that big of an impact on this city. I just kind of stood there, perplexed.

I agree, I'm just not sure there are people living in this town that know and realize what kind of impact the base has on this town.

I've been meaning to hunt down the numbers all week, but the STrib article gave these:

$379m/year in jobs, construction, and purchasing

7,900 personnel, family members, and civilian employees

To benchmark those numbers, UND's budget is a bit over $300m (leading to a total estimated economic impact of about $931m). No one wonders about the economic impact of UND because its right there in the middle of town and its reach is obvious, whereas the base is a bit more out of sight; however, there's no doubt those dollars find their way into the surrounding economies.

I agree, I'm just not sure there are people living in this town that know and realize what kind of impact the base has on this town.  I talked to the owner of a business and he said he doesn't think the closing of the base would have that big of an impact on this city.  I just kind of stood there, perplexed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's that kind of myopic thinking which seems to pervade the local/regional leadership, and nothing has changed since I left campus 10 years ago. The economic loss would be acute, especially initially, especially as most businesses and people would hold onto their wallets as a reaction. Even if the business owner you spoke to never had a customer from GFAFB, the odds are very good his other customers are at least indirectly impacted by the base, and they may be forced to cut back/shut down in the future if other alternatives are not present.

I've been meaning to hunt down the numbers all week, but the STrib article gave these:

$379m/year in jobs, construction, and purchasing

7,900 personnel, family members, and civilian employees

To benchmark those numbers, UND's budget is a bit over $300m (leading to a total estimated economic impact of about $931m). No one wonders about the economic impact of UND because its right there in the middle of town and its reach is obvious, whereas the base is a bit more out of sight; however, there's no doubt those dollars find their way into the surrounding economies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those numbers definitely back up the argument that the base's impact is quite huge.

The amount of things affected by the closing are not and would not show up for a while.

Look at the town of Larimore. The news reported that over 100 kids, around 18% of their school enrollment, K-12, are kids associated with the base.

Look at how many base people attend UND.

This would not only impact Grand Forks, but the whole region and the whole state would be greatly impacted.