SiouxSports.com Forum

U Mary Starting A Trend?

SWSiouxMN

"A student-athlete could quite possibly leave the University of Mary with their eligibility used up with both a bachelor's and master's degree in hand," said Jeremy Christoffels, former Mary assistant athletic director for compliance. 

Yes, but did they learn and retain anything. 

(That applies everywhere.) 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yes, but did they learn and retain anything. 

(That applies everywhere.) 

I think for the type of person that would take advantage of this the answer is very likely yes.  Giving up your summers as a college student is a serious sacrifice so i think only a really motivates student would do it.  If you arent planning to pursue an advanced degree dont see why a student athlete would graduatr before exhausting theor eligibility. 

A question would be how scholarships work. If they cover these summer semesters that should in theory bump up you cost by roughly 1.5 times. Where does that money come from.

It does open up some interestingly scenarios for grad transfers for sure.

• Upvote 1

Mary doesn't have many technical degrees, which often have prerequisites and courseS are only offered once a year.  Some business and liberal arts degrees can be done with a 2.5 year plan with summer school, but other degrees are nearly impossible in that timeframe except at very large enrollment schools.

I wonder how the logistics of this will work.  Will they have professors on staff to fit every major even if there is a small enrollment in those classes for the summer.  Seems like it could be a black hole money wise unless they only limit it to certain programs.    

• 3 weeks later...