SiouxSports.com Forum

Trading A Player for a Bus

smokey the cat

Came across this on wiki today in their part on the WHL. "On January 19, 1983, the Seattle Breakers dealt the rights to Tom Martin to the Victoria Cougars in exchange for the Cougars' team bus. The deal made perfect sense: the Breakers were unable to sign Martin, who wanted to play in his home town of Victoria, and the Cougars were unable to use the bus (which they had purchased from the folded Spokane Flyers) because they were unwilling to pay the taxes and duties required to register the vehicle in Canada".

Does anyone else know of any strange trades?

From Independent minor league baseball in 2008:

The Calgary Vipers of the Golden Baseball League couldn't get newly signed pitcher John Odom into Canada for immigration reasons. And the Laredo Broncos of the United League were willing to take a cheap gamble on a pitcher.

Oh, and the Vipers really, really wanted some new bats.

And so Odom, about a month after being acquired by a Canadian team, found himself Tuesday on the roster of a team on the Mexican border. All for the price of 10 Prairie Sticks Maple Bats, double-dipped black 34-inch C243 style.

Look up Harry Chiti. Guy got traded for himself. Not kidding.

I think that this has happened multiple times in baseball. Usually it's when a player is traded for a player to be named later or for future considerations.

Should have just looked this up right away:

Brad Gulden holds a place in Major League Baseball trivia by being one of four players in history to be traded for himself, along with Harry Chiti, Dickie Noles, and John McDonald.

Edited by 82SiouxGuy

Does anyone else know of any strange trades?

A few more:

Two weeks into the 1994 MLB strike, Dave Winfield was traded from the Twins to the Indians for a player to be named later.

Since the season never resumed, the Cleveland Indians took the Minnesota Twins executives out to dinner and picked up the tab in compensation.

In one of the fishiest deals in baseball history, the Pacific Suns shipped Ken Krahenbuhl to the Greensville Bluesmen for 10 pounds of catfish, a player to be named later, and cash.

It took real balls for the Reno Silver Sox to pull off this deal, but back in 1989 they traded Tom Fortugno to the Milwaukee Brewers organization for a bag of baseballs and $2,500.

and sports related

Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich Trade Places

In a move that would shock even Ron Burgundy, they swapped wives, houses, children, and cars during Yankees spring training. I believe that one of the new couples is still married and the other got divorced within a few years of the swap.

They even swapped their dogs. I can see the wife and the kids but my God the dog? How low can you get.

I'm pretty sure that the 2 guys just swapped keys and took the others place in the households. The dogs stayed with the families. It would be pretty hard to take the dogs away from the kids. ;)