SiouxSports.com Forum

Entry level contract

Boomer 40AAA

Just curious of what is included in an entry level contract.I know they call it a two way deal.They get so much in the minors or the max in the NHL.Do they get signing bonuses,and what is the length of the contract?

Players today get very little unless they make the NHL compared to their peers who signed under the previous NHL collective bargaining agreement.

Players today get very little unless they make the NHL compared to their peers who signed under the previous NHL collective bargaining agreement.

According to Schlossman's live chat yesterday, Frattin got his signing bonus, and a 1 game prorated salary paycheck for his appearance with the Leafs. Ended up being around 65K for the bonus, for a total of around $100K for playing in that one game!

I would assume that is how it works for these guys, play in the minors for a salary of 50-60K, the NHL for 700-900K, and if you play only a few games with the big club, you receive a prorated salary for those, and ride the bus for an average salary in the minors the rest of the year.

According to Schlossman's live chat yesterday, Frattin got his signing bonus, and a 1 game prorated salary paycheck for his appearance with the Leafs. Ended up being around 65K for the bonus, for a total of around $100K for playing in that one game!

I would assume that is how it works for these guys, play in the minors for a salary of 50-60K, the NHL for 700-900K, and if you play only a few games with the big club, you receive a prorated salary for those, and ride the bus for an average salary in the minors the rest of the year.

Frattins bonus was $87,500 plus he gets another 87,500 next year. Ahl salary would be 65k NHL salary would be 875K. Divid that by 82 games = $ 10,670.73 per game. So for 1 game frattin got $98,170.73.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1975

Siouxhockey5

Frattins bonus was $87,500 plus he gets another 87,500 next year. Ahl salary would be 65k NHL salary would be 875K. Divid that by 82 games = $ 10,670.73 per game. So for 1 game frattin got $98,170.73.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1975

Siouxhockey5

Now he can pay off that student loan he took out to get through school... :)

"Entry-Level" Salary Restrictions

* Players between the ages of 18 and 21 must sign "entry-level" contracts for their first three NHL seasons. Those aged 22-23 are entry-level players for two years, those aged 24 for a single year.

* An entry-level player can earn a maximum of $850,000 per year. The limit rises throughout the agreement, to $925,000 in 2011. Maximum entry-level salary in 2004 was $1.295 million.

* Signing bonuses are capped at 10 percent of the player's salary. Under the old deal, signing bonuses for entry-level players were capped at 50 percent of base salary.

*All players on entry level contracts are on two way contracts. The CBA does not allow for 1 way contracts for first contracts anymore.

"The CBA does not allow for 1 way contracts for first contracts anymore."

That part threw me off, as this is his first contract.

I see. I think Sprig meant "entry-level" as opposed to "first". The power of semantics. If you're an unristricted free agent ala Matt Read, I would think that they have almost unlimited freedom.

Faulk will get the rookie max and will likely be in the show. He's NHL ready. Best all around freshman defenseman I've seen in a long time in this league...and there have been some excellent ones. What I see in Faulk is that he has offensive skill and a mean streak. It is a great combo.

I see. I think Sprig meant "entry-level" as opposed to "first". The power of semantics. If you're an unristricted free agent ala Matt Read, I would think that they have almost unlimited freedom.

Faulk will get the rookie max and will likely be in the show. He's NHL ready. Best all around freshman defenseman I've seen in a long time in this league...and there have been some excellent ones. What I see in Faulk is that he has offensive skill and a mean streak. It is a great combo.

He dyed his hair back, that stinker.

Kept the wording, changed the format. All should have been "bullets" under the "entry level" heading.

For rwd, "I know that you think you understood what you thought I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read was not what I meant."