SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Overtime rules

AZSIOUX

OVERTIME  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer?

• keep it the same - 5 minute sudden death - 1 point for ties, 2 points to winner
    • 10 minutes of sudden death 5 on 5. 2 points for win. 1 point for tie
    • 20 minutes of sudden death 5 on 5. 2 points for win. 1 point for tie
    • 10 minutes of sudden death 5 on 5. 1 point each for getting to OT and extra point for win
    • 20 minutes of sudden death 5 on 5. 1 point each for getting to OT and extra point for win
    • 5 minutes of sudden death 5 on 5. 1 point for getting to OT and extra point for win
    • NHL - 5 minutes 4 on 4 then SHOOTOUT if need be to determine a winner and 2 points.
    • 10 minutes 4 on 4 sudden death. Winner 2 points. loser no points
    • Play 20 minute sudden death periods til you have a winner. 2 points for win and 1 point each for getting to OT
    • 10 minutes 4 on 4. 1 point for getting to OT and extra point for win

Just thinking regarding the sconnie/du mess where sconnie scored and didnt get the point and it got me thinking about OVERTIME and the rules and wanted to see what fans liked. I can tell you i want a full 20 minutes or at least 10 minutes of 5 on 5 hockey for sudden death overtime. NO shootout in college even though its a good fan ploy in the NHL i dont wan that. I also want each team to be rewarded for getting to overtime so each team get 1 point and if there is a winner in OT then the winner gets the 2nd point.

so im in favor of

10 or 20 minute OT sudden death 5 on 5 hockey (chances are more than likely a team will score more than they do in 5 minutes)

1 point for getting to OT and 2nd point goes to winner if there is one

what do you think??

i think the ot needs to be longer, i hate it when a game is decided in a shootout. i say make it a 10 minute overtime (or possibly even 20). i like the 4 on 4, it opens things up a little. no shootout. i don't mind a point for both teams if it goes to ot, then an extra point to the winner (if there is one). interesting topic, i have wondered the past few seasons if they have thought about modifying the ot sessions at all.

I'll have to go with a 10-minute OT, but 5 on 5. With so many Olympic rinks in the WCHA, 4 on 4 would be a little difficult to watch IMHO. (Wait a minute, my opinion is never humble!!!!!!!)

And I don't mind a game ending in a tie. Sometimes a tie is a satisfactory outcome. I can think of many games I've seen where one team has battled back to tie and then lose in OT on some flukey thing. That seems like a travesty.

NHL - 5 minutes 4 on 4 then SHOOTOUT if need be to determine a winner and 2 points

I like the NHL way. I think if you make it to OT the loser should get a point. Only problem you would have teams

hooking and holding their way to ot to get the point.

I like the NHL way. I think if you make it to OT the loser should get a point. Only problem you would have teams

hooking and holding their way to ot to get the point.

thats fine and i like the shootout in the nhl for the fans, in college there arent as many league games and dont want to see them ending in a shootout for sure. i say 20 minutes and someone is bound to score in OT.

thats fine and i like the shootout in the nhl for the fans, in college there arent as many league games and dont want to see them ending in a shootout for sure. i say 20 minutes and someone is bound to score in OT.

I think read last spring that in the future the NCAA is looking into settling all ties. I think the shoot out was one of the ways.

I think read last spring that in the future the NCAA is looking into settling all ties. I think the shoot out was one of the ways.

yeha i remember that. i cant stand ties personally. thats why nhl endings are so fun. ide rather see them just play regular hockey then 20 minute periods after another and settle it that way. exciting and its not like they play 4-5 nights a week so i dont think that would be that crazy of a idea.

Had to go with the 10 minute OT (4 on 4). The differnce in rinks just adds to the fun. In some rinks it might be an advantage for one team or another so coaches would have to manage for that. Anything to add more scoring, open ice and less obstruction to the game is good in my opinion.

BD

As Div 1 hockey becomes more and more a feeder program for the NHL, I think it would be good to mimic the NHL as much as possible. mikejm has a good point with 4 on 4 on Olympic ice, but I think it would be nice to bring closure to some of these games and shootouts in the NHL have been quite entertaining. Also teams that have a lot of skill players (like UND) could have an advantage against less skilled teams that go into a defensive shell with a lead or a tie.

Another issue with going longer than 5 minutes is that games that extended longer on Friday nites only wear out players further for the Sat. games. The NCAA is very protective of this issue!

As Div 1 hockey becomes more and more a feeder program for the NHL, I think it would be good to mimic the NHL as much as possible. mikejm has a good point with 4 on 4 on Olympic ice, but I think it would be nice to bring closure to some of these games and shootouts in the NHL have been quite entertaining. Also teams that have a lot of skill players (like UND) could have an advantage against less skilled teams that go into a defensive shell with a lead or a tie.

All for the games being like the NHL, meaning calling the games like that as well...