SiouxSports.com Forum

Robbie Bina

amn5hol

Thanks Schmidtdoggydog, that is exactly the two I was referring to---Andy Sutton and Jay Caufield. I also meant to say that size did "not" affect David Hoogsten or Jeff Panzer. The point is, size is really not a huge factor in hockey until you get to the NHL if you have the other skills. The WCHA has a long history of small and quick players that have excelled in college. Some of those players went to Europe to play professionally where the rinks are bigger and the emphasis is more on skating and passing than on physical play. The NHL is starting to recognize that as well, which is why the leading scorers are Swedes (Forsberg and Naslund) and there is now room for little guys like Blake and Gionta. :)

Thanks Schmidtdoggydog, that is exactly the two I was referring to---Andy Sutton and Jay Caufield. I also meant to say that size did "not" affect David Hoogsten or Jeff Panzer. The point is, size is really not a huge factor in hockey until you get to the NHL if you have the other skills. The WCHA has a long history of small and quick players that have excelled in college. Some of those players went to Europe to play professionally where the rinks are bigger and the emphasis is more on skating and passing than on physical play. The NHL is starting to recognize that as well, which is why the leading scorers are Swedes (Forsberg and Naslund) and there is now room for little guys like Blake and Gionta. :)

I agree "size" shouldn't matter in college hockey, especially if one has other skills. But ... it helps especially if you're trying to protect your own zone or play a physical game like most d-men are supposed to.

At 34GP-4G-9A-13Pts This kid doesn't really strike me as a Murphy or Crowley-clone or anything remotely close to Hoogsteen, let alone one of the Panzers. I like to think there's more to this kid than the fact he played in GF, and I hope he proves me wrong. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

When Brian was in High School, I watched him play. I don't know how much HS hockey anyone on this post has watched, but this kid can hit with a presence. He plays as though he's 5 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier. I haven't seen him play since he left HS, but I think he will be alright. I'm not defending the fact that he WILL replace Hale, but I think he will impress a few people that expect less of him in the WCHA. We all know how much control we have in the recruitment of new players, so let's all hope that he will bring in a new twist. I spoke to people about David Hale when he was signing to play here, and I was informed that he played goon hockey and was never in position. The rumors I heard were corrected after he proved himself a good D-man! So, I hope Bina will bring something good, and although he was hitting kids that were 140 lbs. in full gear, I think that he'll be able to hold his own in the WCHA. At least I hope....he's coming whether anyone thinks he will do well or not. :)

I'm not defending the fact that he WILL replace Hale, but I think he will impress a few people that expect less of him in the WCHA. We all know how much control we have in the recruitment of new players, so let's all hope that he will bring in a new twist. I spoke to people about David Hale when he was signing to play here, and I was informed that he played goon hockey and was never in position.

I dont think its fair to take a freshman and put him in a role to "take over" for David Hale. Those are some pretty big skates to fill. If we are looking for new leadership on the blue line I would point a finger at Schnieder, Jones, or Greene. Schneider does have a offensive flair (30 assists) but I think Jones or Greene or both need to take over the leadership on the blue line. Those guys are going into there 3rd or 2nd year in the WCHA and it is much more reasonable to put the owness of leadership on one of them then to put it on a late freshman recruit who had not signed a letter of intent until this week. I not saying that Robbie wont be an impact player ... I really have no idea about him... but there are better options.

A few things:

In scanning Lincoln's box scores, it looks like Bina entered the lineup in mid-December and started slowly. Since about February, he has been a regular presence in the box scores, with quite a few points on the PP. Because he has been in on a lot of goals with some of Lincoln's big names, I gather that he is playing the point on their first PP unit. What I find most interesting is that Bina has been one of Lincoln's five shooters in every shootout in the second half of the year. On an offensive-minded team like Lincoln, it's encouraging that a defenseman would be considered one of the most gifted penalty-shot guys on the team.

He's 20-years old, which should help to compensate for his size - having a more mature structure on his smaller frame.

On the general question of whether size matters in college, I think that "small" isn't a virtue in itself, but skill is. The problem is that most bigger guys with excellent skill don't play college hockey for long, if at all; they take other routes to the NHL. I loved the small skill guys the Sioux have had (the Panzer, Panzer, Hoogsteen line was a classic for a while in Jeff's freshman year), but a team needs size also to succeed. I think it's interesting that the last Sioux title came with a top goal scorer who was big (Goren) and a first defensive pair that was gigantic (Commie and O'Connell). I don't like big lumbering guys, but as long as they can skate, I don't mind size on the team. I think Massen and Stafford both have the potential to end up being big kids who are skilled and can also skate.

I do not expect much of an impact from Bina. He is 20 years old and had not yet been offered a scholarship to my knowledge so he was not on most scouts radar.

He is listed at 5'7 and 170 lbs. That is tiny for a defenseman. That being said I have never seen him play and he will be counted on to play next year as he is the 7th defenseman. He is not going to win many battles for the puck with such a small frame. You cannot measure a guy's heart and desire though and Blais must see something in him that makes him believe he will be a contributor.