SiouxSports.com Forum

Mankato job

UND92,96

It sounds like there's a pretty good chance MSU-Mankato head coach Jeff Jamrog could be heading back to Nebraska to be an assistant under Pellini. If so, I would think Chris Mussman would be a strong candidate for the Mankato head coaching job. He was an offensive coordinator there prior to coming to UND.

Wow, that would be a huge loss for UND. I think that Coach Muss has done a great job with the offense. Do you think that he would be interested in it? I wonder if he is looking for the right time to be a DI (I-A that is; I still don't know the proper initials for IA and IAA sorry) O Coordinator.

Wow, that would be a huge loss for UND. I think that Coach Muss has done a great job with the offense. Do you think that he would be interested in it? I wonder if he is looking for the right time to be a DI (I-A that is; I still don't know the proper initials for IA and IAA sorry) O Coordinator.

I believe he was very interested in it the last time it was open (2004?), but the big question mark now is whether the NSIC will do away with their ridiculous scholarship limit in the near future. At 36 scholarships, I think Mankato could become a dII power under the right leadership. But at 25 scholarships, I don't believe they'll be able to compete very well with the traditional dII powers.

Randy Hedberg is out as SCSU coach. link You have to wonder if perhaps he might come back to UND should Mussman get the Mankato job?

St. Cloud State director of athletics Morris Kurtz said Thursday that the responsibilities of Randy Hedberg will no longer include those of football coach as of Monday.

Other than "football coach"...what other responsibilities does Randy Hedberg currently have at SCSU?

Do you think this is because the Huskies finished 4-7 this season or that Coach Hedberg agreed to play UND next season or neither?

Other than "football coach"...what other responsibilities does Randy Hedberg currently have at SCSU?

Do you think this is because the Huskies finished 4-7 this season or that Coach Hedberg agreed to play UND next season or neither?

I really have no idea what would have prompted this. Based on the posts on d2football.com, their fans are not happy at all about this, and the a.d., who was pretty unpopular anyway, is really unpopular now.

I am really surprised that Hedberg got fired. He did a great job turning that program around and it seems odd that they would fire him based on having a couple of down years.

I doubt Mussman would be interested in the Mankato job. If they were still a 36 scholarship team maybe, but to go from a I-AA coordinator job to what will amount to an average D-II job is a step down career-wise.

Randy Hedberg is out as SCSU coach. link

When reached Thursday night, Hedberg deferred comment to his union representative.

Why'd that "Dragnet" bah-da-bah-bum, .... bah-da-bah-bum-BAH! sound just go off in my head?

I believe it's because that says to me that Hedberg thinks he's been wronged.

Hedberg to Mankato?

Mankato is going to be a little tricky.....

They recruited last couple of years to fill 36 schollies, now they need to be at 24 next year...?

If it is anything like most D2 programs, that could mean cutting funding for between 24-30 players.....?

That may have already been promised schollies.

The plot thickens...

St. Cloud State University officials reassigned football coach Randy Hedberg and named defensive coordinator Scott Underwood as acting football coach, though Hedberg filed a grievance protesting the change.

"It was a recommendation by the athletic director that I reviewed in detail and that I support," university President Earl H. Potter said. "A review process will take place, and until that review process is complete, the decision is not final."

Professor John Palmer, head of the faculty's grievance committee, said Friday that Hedberg filed a grievance and will seek to retain his job as head coach.

"Randy Hedberg should be doing the work he was hired for and has done successfully for nine years," Palmer said.

SCSU football coach Hedberg reassigned, files grievance

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...