SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux men's hockey Fan Fest

PCM

Dec. 11, 2007

(for immediate release)

UND "Men's Hockey Fan Fest "set for Saturday

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- The UND men's hockey team will hold a "Fan Fest" for families at 4 p.m. on Saturday at Ralph Engelstad Arena. The event will feature giveaways, autographs, $1 sack lunches and more. Admission is free.

SKILLS COMPETITION

Select players from the men's hockey team will go head-to-head in an NHL-style skills competition to showcase skating, stick-handling, speed and shooting accuracy.

PRIZE GIVEAWAYS

The Sioux Boosters will give away prizes at the event, including an assortment of gift cards and exclusive Fighting Sioux merchandise.

SACK LUNCHES

There will be a sack lunch available for $1, which includes a hot dog, chips and soda courtesy of Cloverdale Meats, Coca Cola and Old Dutch.

AUTOGRAPH SESSION

Get autographs of your favorite Fighting Sioux hockey players immediately following the skills competition on the main concourse of the arena. Autograph team cards will be available.

TOYS FOR TOTS

Fans are encouraged to bring a toy to be donated to the local Toys for tots organization so no kid goes without a present this holiday season.

For more information, contact Alex Kringen at 701-777-0726 or alexk@theralph.com.

Usually the players are set up at table in the hallways of the Ralph with a couple of players at each table. Some are always more popular than others and the lines are longer for them. You can get whatever autos you want but I would suggest hitting them all. The freshman you may skip this year may be next years superstar and all the players deserve to be shown our appreciation.

Lot's of fun!! The lines for Duncan and Oshie were loooong! All the boys were great sports. Joe Finley cracked me up. He has an area he likes to sign on the team card. Snider signed my card there. Joe looked at it and said, 'Kids been on the team two weeks and he's taking my spot!'

From what I can remember:

Results:

Skating: Marto beat out Watkins (although Watkins raced three times while Marto only races twice)

Stick Handling: Was done in a relay, the white team won... I believe it was Kaip, Chorney, Jones, Forney, and maybe Watkins... I can't remember the 5th.

Power: Finley, 97 mph, Davidson 94 mph... I feel like there was someone else up there too... but I can't recall...

Accuracy: Both Duncan and VandeVelde hit the four corners on five shots, but Duncan did it faster so he won.

From what I can remember:

Results:

Skating: Marto beat out Watkins (although Watkins raced three times while Marto only races twice)

Stick Handling: Was done in a relay, the white team won... I believe it was Kaip, Chorney, Jones, Forney, and maybe Watkins... I can't remember the 5th.

Power: Finley, 97 mph, Davidson 94 mph... I feel like there was someone else up there too... but I can't recall...

Accuracy: Both Duncan and VandeVelde hit the four corners on five shots, but Duncan did it faster so he won.

Don't forget, the white team did a bit of cheating creative stick handling to come out on top. :cool: Although, their speed overall was faster than the green team. The green team, Walski in net for the green, won the shoot out.

Yeah... Kozek was up there too... I couldn't remember his speed, so thanks for that!

Let's see if I can come up with the teams for stick handling:

White: Jones, Kaip, Watkins (?), Forney, Chorney

Green: Oshie, Duncan, Trupp, Genoway (?), Marto

Did anyone else see Snider's first official save as a Member of the Fighting Sioux???

TJ and VV were juggling a puck before the skills comp. (Kinda like Tiger Woods does but with a puck)

They go on and on for a minute or so, well VV loses control and takes one last attempt to save it, and "POP" right off of Snider's forehead and into the players box!!!

At the time he had no helmet...I like it, old time Iron Man style...

I'd say the turn out was so/so...For the kids though it was priceless...

My 11 Month old got his first puck from a player, NHL Draftee Kozek...

We waited in Phil's Line, Kozek's line, Bina's Line, and Trupp's line... That's a pretty good assortment, plus after a few hours he started to fuss...

The players were great!!!

Bonus, we met The Kauker...

Rich T

Did anyone else see Snider's first official save as a Member of the Fighting Sioux???

TJ and VV were juggling a puck before the skills comp. (Kinda like Tiger Woods does but with a puck)

They go on and on for a minute or so, well VV loses control and takes one last attempt to save it, and "POP" right off of Snider's forehead and into the players box!!!

At the time he had no helmet...I like it, old time Iron Man style...

I'd say the turn out was so/so...For the kids though it was priceless...

My 11 Month old got his first puck from a player, NHL Draftee Kozek...

We waited in Phil's Line, Kozek's line, Bina's Line, and Trupp's line... That's a pretty good assortment, plus after a few hours he started to fuss...

The players were great!!!

Bonus, we met The Kauker...

Rich T

I saw that Snider save too. :cool: