SiouxSports.com Forum

Finalists for the Hobey!

elmduf

They announced the three finalists, I am hoping that Sejna from CC wins it, keeping it in the WCHA. You'll notice that our buddy from Ferris State is one of the finalists. :huh:

From the USCHO site:

The Hobey Baker Award committee has announced its three finalists for college hockey's top honor in 2003, and they come as no surprise: Cornell goalie Dave LeNeveu, who is on track to record the lowest goals against average in college hockey history, and the nation's two top scorers, Colorado College's Peter Sejna and Ferris State's Chris Kunitz.

By looking at 2001 as a reference, LeNeveu should win. In 2001 Panzer, the top scorer in the nation, had 81 points, Sejna, the top scorer this year, 82 points. Obviously, the numbers are very similar. However, Panzer lead his team to the championship game, while CC didn't even make the FF this year and, as we all know, Panzer didn't win.

LeNeveu's numbers are similar to, but better than, Miller's from the year he won. Also, he is a sophomore, same as Miller was and both lead their teams to the FF. Historically, and for purposes of consistency (what's that?), it stands to reason that LeNeveu will win.

However, I believe Sejna will be the actual winner, which I hope is the case and as much as I enjoy watching him play, I also hope he doesn't return to CC for his senior season.

I think the biggest difference is that Miller was from Michigan St and LeNeveu is from Cornell. Hobey voting comes down to national fame because to win you need to get out-of-region votes. I think Miller was much more famous as "the league's best player" in the East in 2001 than LeNeveu is in the West this year. This year I think Sejna reverberates more out East than LeNeveu does out West.

Therefore, my prediction is Sejna (though it's POSSIBLE that Kunitz and Sejna could split that vote, leaving LeNeveu with the award). As long as Kunitz doesn't win...

Kunitz's chippier style of play won't help his vote total.

I think it'll come down to LeNeveu or Sejna and I have an easy way to decide it.

Sejna versus LeNeveu: Penalty shot! :huh:

Hit it on the head...It's LeNeveu or Sejna...the Ferris fans seem to be in denial over Kunitz being a dirty player. I think both are deserving, but Sejna will win the award. He leads the NCAA in scoring and is just about the smartest player I have ever seen. He is dangerous EVERY time he touches the puck and has mastered the art of the bad angle shot. At the same time good defense or not LeNeveu's numbers are insane. He doesn't face a lot of shots, but stops them when he does. His job is to stop the first shot, he does that, then his defense clears the zone. I don't think he should be denied the Hobey because he happens to have a steller defense and play in the ECAC.

The best way to settle this is, as Sic said, a penalty shot. Sejna scores, he wins the Hobey, if LeNeveu makes the save, it's all his. Either way who wouldn't watch it.

It would be a shame if Sejna didn't win it. I realize the Cornell goalie has some amazing stats but based on how his team plays (conservative/defensive minded), I think a lot of goalies could throw up some darn good numbers in that type of a system.

Sejna would have my vote.

It would be a shame if Sejna didn't win it. I realize the Cornell goalie has some amazing stats but based on how his team plays (conservative/defensive minded), I think a lot of goalies could throw up some darn good numbers in that type of a system.

As someone already pointed out, this is a very similar situation as Panzer-Miller. Michigan State was a defensive team in a defensive league. Who voted for Miller anyway? :D

Do you really want the obvious retort that most Sioux fans would toss out?

I wasn't fishing at all. Just saying that I think Sejna should win.

I am not Coach Lucia. Just because he happens to coach the team I follow doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he does. I have a ton of respect for the guy. He is a class act and a top coach. But whatever he decides to vote on is his choice. If he felt Miller was the better candidate, that is his decision.... not mine. I mean, do you guys always agree with Blais and what he does? I would bet you don't always agree. You probably do in most respects but probably not in everything. Well, I am no different.

I would hope Sejna wins as well. I also thought Brian Gionta (Sp?) should have won the year Miller did.

Of the three, I think Sejna done the most for his team. I was somewhat surprised Parise wasn't a finalist. I bet that's not the case next year if he puts up another great season. I guess I didn't expect Kunitz to be a finalist. I did think CC having two candidates might hurt Senja, glad it didn't.