SiouxSports.com Forum

Flying to Grand Forks

mwade

Any tips on getting a decent airfare to Grand Forks? Several BC fans want to come out for the October games, but the best fares we've found are $450 from NY and $525 from Boston. I tried checking a few semi-near airports, but they all seem almost as expensive and not worth the extra bother.

Do prices come down a lot (or are priceline bids accepted at lower amounts) once it gets closer to the date? I haven't tried to fly into a monopolized airport in a long time.

thanks,

-Melissa

Melissa, I just talked to a friend who lives in the Boston area and travels back to Grand Forks/Fargo a couple times a year. There is not much price difference if you fly into GF or into Fargo, so I'd say fly into GF as you'll just be a couple miles from the arena. If you want to save a significant amount of money your best option is to fly into Minneapolis. Karen figures that at most times of the year Boston to Mpls is close to $400 cheaper than Boston to GF (B to Mpls fares can run as low as $250 round trip while B to GF seems to hover around $635 round trip - so the $525 that you have mentioned is a better price). Coming in October the weather should be decent; however, last winter there was a blizzard in the middle of October (a trip by rental car from Mpls to GF takes 4 - 4 1/2 hours in good weather). Hopefully someone else has better info on discount tickets/specials etc...

Flying to GF or to Fargo, pricewise, will be a wash. The best you can do is hope for a fare war. Northwest is the big airline here. Sign up for their weekly fare email (at NWA.com) and keep your eyes open.

If you are considering driving from MSP (320 miles), why not consider flying to Winnipeg, Manitoba. (I'm not sure how the airfare to there compares but it can't hurt to look.)

Good news: It would only be a 150 mile drive.

Bad news: You'd have to cross the border on the drive.

I don;t know about flying in from Boston, but I am originally from New Jersey so I fly out of Newark to back to school. Normally is costs me 400-450 to get here. Try Orbitz.com they normally have some decent prices.

As I am from NJ it is great to see a fellow Devils fan here too!!!

BRODEUR FOR VEZINA

now that the Sioux are done for the year I can go full force behind my Devils- LETS GO DEVIILS!!!!

I fly into Fargo and have gotten cheap fares on priceline.com (around $200-$250 RT on United). Of course, it's important that United actually stay in business through next October (they're in bankruptcy right now).

I began looking about a month ago into flying home around Easter on Northwest (I prefer NWA over flying on United), and have noticed a marked fare increase since the last time I flew home on a full-price ticket. The fares have been $550 - $650 RT (or more).

I want to make it to the BC series next fall, too, so hopefully someone can help out when the time comes in getting tickets! (It's also my Mom's birthday around that time, so it will work out for everyone.) Go Sioux!

Best bet is to fly directly into MSP. Rent a car and take a nice, "scenic" 4-5 hour cruise to GF. You have more flexibility given the number of airlines coming in/out and will probably be able to find a good deal if the carriers keep limping along. My sister recently flew into MSP from SF, rented a car, stayed with me a few days and then visited my mother in Fargo. I think she saved about $400 than if she had flown to Fargo, even with the 3 day car rental.

I don;t know about flying in from Boston, but I am originally from New Jersey so I fly out of Newark to back to school. Normally is costs me 400-450 to get here. Try Orbitz.com they normally have some decent prices.

As I am from NJ it is great to see a fellow Devils fan here too!!!

BRODEUR FOR VEZINA

now that the Sioux are done for the year I can go full force behind my Devils- LETS GO DEVIILS!!!!

Trust him...if there is a cheap fare out there, he knows where to find it. Fly to MSP...you don't want to take the chance of having to fly in the SAAB on the trip here (The prop-job that flies up here), plus it IS cheaper. I'm sure flatspin just forgot, but I'll say it for him...fly on Continental

Flatspin you know I have to do it.

ROLOSON FOR VEZINA....GO Wild!!! :huh::blush::(:p;)

Trust him...if there is a cheap fare out there, he knows where to find it. Fly to MSP...you don't want to take the chance of having to fly in the SAAB on the trip here (The prop-job that flies up here), plus it IS cheaper. I'm sure flatspin just forgot, but I'll say it for him...fly on Continental

Flatspin you know I have to do it.

ROLOSON FOR VEZINA....GO Wild!!! :p;):):D:D

Continental and Northwest code share on a lot of flights, oddly it is sometimes cheaper to buy a Continental ticket despite the fact that it is on Northwest airplanes.

If Dwayne wins the Vezina I will give up hockey and become a soccer fan!!!!!!! :):):blush::huh::(