SiouxSports.com Forum

New nickname or none?

MplsBison

New nickname or none?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND have a new nickname?

• Use only UND
    • Get a new nickname (Roughriders, Cavalry, etc.)

The Sault St. Marie tribe in the UP of Mich. is Chippawa. SAULT is pronounced SIOUX. The Chippawa occupy N.Dak. so they are related. I ran this by the head of gaming for the SAULT St. Maries and he said "no problem , go for it". "North Dakota Sault" has a nice ring. It covers 2 dominant tribes in our region and forces them to think about burying the old hatchet and get along. It's also a good spelling bee word to put us on the map.

Hmmmmm.....

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...=9506&st=48

:)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about some variations of pro teams like Greenwings, Greenlegs, Greensox, Greenleafs etc.

Another idea!!

The Sault St. Marie tribe in the UP of Mich. is Chippawa. SAULT is pronounced SIOUX. The Chippawa occupy N.Dak. so they are related. I ran this by the head of gaming for the SAULT St. Maries and he said "no problem , go for it". "North Dakota Sault" has a nice ring. It covers 2 dominant tribes in our region and forces them to think about burying the old hatchet and get along. It's also a good spelling bee word to put us on the map.

Fans from other fan bases already have enough trouble spelling "SIOUX" correctly. :)

Fans from other fan bases already have enough trouble spelling "SIOUX" correctly. :)

Speaking only as an interested outsider, if I was a North Dakota fan I wouldn't care how many fans of OTHER schools could spell. That would only prove that they didn't get the top quality education that a North Dakota graduate recieves.

And having said all that, if North Dakota fans didn't spell "Sault" correctly on t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, banners etc. I wouldn't care either. :D

Mentioning "approved stereotypes" is the guy in the upper right of that link named Smith, Jones, or Finklestein?

Speaking of "NCAA Approved Ethnic Stereotypes", apparently Mexican-Indian-South American nicknames have the NCAA's stamp of approval.

GAU-CHOS, GAU-CHOS!

Another classic, it's like a two armed tomahawk while slowly chanting Gau-chos, Gau-chos.

I am suprised no one has mentioned Scandinavians the university go a long ways with this one. You could open a Scandinavian hertiage center on campus. Get namesake approval from various organizations. This would be a great way to honor the first inhabitants on the Red River Valley.

How bout something related to trains. Those are definitely previlent in Grand Forks and the area. Purdue Boilermakers have a pretty sweet name/logo with their school....maybe we could come up with something unique and interesting from the realm of trains.

v09xq9u6a1vi6k0xz1ku.gif

j1pyejhwt83osp8gfce4.gif

Also, with using the name Jets, we could just make it "Fighter Jets." I think it would be a good fit for our school, plus be unique to most of the NCAA.

How bout something related to trains. Those are definitely previlent in Grand Forks and the area. Purdue Boilermakers have a pretty sweet name/logo with their school....maybe we could come up with something unique and interesting from the realm of trains.

v09xq9u6a1vi6k0xz1ku.gif

j1pyejhwt83osp8gfce4.gif

Also, with using the name Jets, we could just make it "Fighter Jets." I think it would be a good fit for our school, plus be unique to most of the NCAA.

I can't find a picture online, but my high school football team was the Express. A big ol' train.

We could have a train logo, and be known as the Soo...

...Purdue Boilermakers have a pretty sweet name/logo with their school...

Just a quick note: the reason they're the Boilermakers is that their opponents accused them of cheating. :lol:

Way back in the 1800's/early 1900's when college was still reserved for "gentlemen", an early football opponent of Purdue accused them of using ringers from the nearby railroad construction gangs instead of solely relying on students. The newspapers of the era picked up on "Boilermakers", and that's what they've remained to this day.

Boilermakers, that is.

:lol: