SiouxSports.com Forum

SiouxSports.com Name

Ray77

Jim...just a random question that I had and not even sure why/how it crossed my mind. I'm sure it's been addressed elsewhere (possibly in the Sioux Name forum?), but I haven't come across it. I figured I'd put this in the SiouxSports.com forum because it has to do with SiouxSports.com along with the Sioux name.

If (and I hate to say it but it's looking more and more like when) UND changes it's name, would SiouxSports.com be able to keep the name or would it have to change as well? My guess is that you would be able to continue to use the name if you wanted to, which brings up the next question.

If you were able to (legally or whatever) keep the name, would you keep it, or would you change it to the NewSchoolNicknameSports.com?

Thanks.

In short -- we could keep it, but wouldn't.

The NCAA can punish UND for the actions of boosters (which could include media such as this), but in this instance has not expressed any interest in doing such.

That said, I'm more prone to pragmatism than nostalgia, and can't currently think of any good reason to keep an obsolete name. We'll follow the wind.

I have to agree with Jim. If/when the name is changed, fans haning on to the Sioux name is going to do nothing but create confusion with other schools fans, media, etc. If/when a new name and logo comes about, it would be best for all to jump on the bus and help to start building some brand recognition.

In short -- we could keep it, but wouldn't.

The NCAA can punish UND for the actions of boosters (which could include media such as this), but in this instance has not expressed any interest in doing such.

That said, I'm more prone to pragmatism than nostalgia, and can't currently think of any good reason to keep an obsolete name. We'll follow the wind.

I propose this:

the-artists-formerly-known-as-sioux-sports-dot-com.com

I think a bigger question is what the hell do I do with my tattoo? :ohmy:

Well, if you do entirely give up the rights to this name, I could see the fans of your rival schools registering it in a flash, posting "whatever" at their whim and letting the NCAA chips fall where they may. :ohmy:

FWLIW, the University of Illnois Board of Trustees is keeping all sorts of trademarks, etc. just to keep our logo out of the hands of those who would put it on t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts, etc. and make more money than Bill Gates use it to disparge downtrodden people.

Hope you would at least consider keeping the registration and having it redirect to whatever you decide the new name will be.