SiouxSports.com Forum

UND v GVSU

SiouxMD

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have nothing whatsoever against CWU, and I'm normally a UNO football hater, but I can't say I'm happy about this. All this does is benefit Grand Valley. Now they're at home instead of travelling to Omaha to play against what is normally a great rushing team. I can't believe UNO laid yet another playoff egg.

Unbelievable, congrats to Central Washington. Coulda used this upset a couple of weeks ago. :D

Not really. All we would have got was a share of the NCC championship. If we would have did our job this week, we would have a home game to get to the semis. CW did us a favor but we couldn't use it.

What makes this all the more amazing, aside from the fact that UNO killed them on the road two weeks ago, is remember how terrible the CWU rush defense looked when UND played them? How the heck did their defense improve that much?

BTW, Behrns is now 1-7 all-time in the playoffs. :D

I'd rather see Grand Valley win yet another D2 championship. If they were to get beat by somebody else after having eliminated UND that doesn't make the Sioux look very good. If they go on to win it all we can make a valid argument that today's game was the "real D2 championship game".

Making that claim in pointless. UND didn't play well enough to win today even though GV was sloppy, the Sioux were just as bad. It really sucks to go out playing poor football. It's tough to handle when you play well and lose, but this is far worse.

I'd rather see Grand Valley win yet another D2 championship. If they were to get beat by somebody else after having eliminated UND that doesn't make the Sioux look very good. If they go on to win it all we can make a valid argument that today's game was the "real D2 championship game".

As could CWU, and the other team that GV would have to beat to win the title. Moral victories aint worth a dime. Let someone else have a shot at the title. I am now adopting UNA as my go to team.

Making that claim in pointless. UND didn't play well enough to win today even though GV was sloppy, the Sioux were just as bad. It really sucks to go out playing poor football. It's tough to handle when you play well and lose, but this is far worse.

Unlike a certain GVSU fan, I'm not going to make excuses ("if Anes would have played in 2001..."), but I really wish we would have seen the "real" Sioux offense today. I would have had far less of a problem with losing today had I felt like UND played a good game and just were beaten by a better team. That's not to say that GVSU isn't necessarily the better team, but I think we all know the UND offense is far better than what they showed today.

On offense, for whatever reason, we never even made an attempt to establish the run. Murray was effective when given the opportunity, Battle never saw the field. Apparently the game plan was, just bide our time until we have the wind at our back, then throw 2 yard slants.

Let's face it. To have had a chance against GVSU, we needed our offense healthy and firing on all cylinders. Pass protection is easier when your opponent respects the run, but the Sioux couldn't run the ball today. UND became a one-dimensional team at a time of the season it could least afford to. Go into the game with Chappell and/or Murray healthy and the outcome could easily have been different.

I've been among those bashing the defense, but to put it everything into proper perspective, we should remember that UND's defense was very good or good enough against all but the elite teams of Division II. It wasn't the attacking, physical, opportunistic Sioux defense we've seen in the past, but it was far from being a bad defense.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. I am sick and tired of "tradition doesn't graduate". I am sick and tired of that cartoonish Popeye the Sailorman logo. I am sick and tired of hearing "If Anes had been healthy, we would have won hands down in 2001". And I am sick and tired of playing second fiddle to the Lakers year after year after year (I know that is a moot point from now on because we are moving up, but I'm still sick of it). If CWU goes into Allendale and wins next week, I will be one happy sports fan. And I am not ashamed to say that.

Let's face it. To have had a chance against GVSU, we needed our offense healthy and firing on all cylinders. Pass protection is easier when your opponent respects the run, but the Sioux couldn't run the ball today. UND became a one-dimensional team at a time of the season it could least afford to. Go into the game with Chappell and/or Murray healthy and the outcome could easily have been different.

I've been among those bashing the defense, but to put it everything into proper perspective, we should remember that UND's defense was very good or good enough against all but the elite teams of Division II. It wasn't the attacking, physical, opportunistic Sioux defense we've seen in the past, but it was far from being a bad defense.

There have been a lot of "woulda, coulda, shoulda's" for the football program over the past five years or so. Frustrating beyond words.

You're right, but that doesn't change the fact that if Grand Valley gets beat it'll only make us look worse than if they win out. I for one will be cheering for them, because cheering for their opponents would make me feel like I had a bad case of sour grapes.

Once the season is over, it doesn't matter if we look "worse" or "better" depending on how GVSU finishes the season. Fact is, we didn't win the national championship this year, and that's all that matters.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. I am sick and tired of "tradition doesn't graduate". I am sick and tired of that cartoonish Popeye the Sailorman logo. I am sick and tired of hearing "If Anes had been healthy, we would have won hands down in 2001". And I am sick and tired of playing second fiddle to the Lakers year after year after year (I know that is a moot point from now on because we are moving up, but I'm still sick of it). If CWU goes into Allendale and wins next week, I will be one happy sports fan. And I am not ashamed to say that.
:D How long have they had football at Grand Valley? 25 years?

It's a bitter pill to swallow to see a program like Grand Valley with no history or tradition, but with an abundance of vision and confidence, catch up to and ultimately pass a great and storied, but complacent, program like UND. Grand Valley is deserving of where they are at, but UND should never have allowed itself to be in that position. But the good news is that UND is moving up to where it belongs...better late than never. I wish Grand Valley the best, but all of my focus is on DI-FCS and the likes of Cal Poly, UC-Davis, Idaho State, McNeese State, etc.

There have been a lot of "woulda, coulda, shoulda's" for the football program over the past five years or so. Frustrating beyond words.

You are exactly right... and I think Dale Lennon would agree with you also.

UND had the best team in the country in 2005 and blew it with that loss to Omaha. That team should have won a national championship.

These last two years UND has been right there with the best teams in the country but again the losses to Omaha, key injuries at the wrong time, and poor play and execution in the big games with GVSU has cost them.

All that said, it is time for a new era of UND football and I think the future is very bright. Last year's recruiting class is terrific and I do not think it will be long and Dale Lennon will have this program up in the top 10 in the FCS.

You are exactly right... and I think Dale Lennon would agree with you also.

UND had the best team in the country in 2005 and blew it with that loss to Omaha. That team should have won a national championship.

These last two years UND has been right there with the best teams in the country but again the losses to Omaha, key injuries at the wrong time, and poor play and execution in the big games with GVSU has cost them.

All that said, it is time for a new era of UND football and I think the future is very bright. Last year's recruiting class is terrific and I do not think it will be long and Dale Lennon will have this program up in the top 10 in the FCS.

Good post. While it is said that great teams win on the road, we def play better at home. Those losses to Omaha made our season's a lot harder than they needed to be. If we win those game, we get homefield and chances are we beat GV at home at least once. Too bad we never got a chance. But I def agree with you about the top 10 thing. I think we will fit in nicely with our new competition.

:D How long have they had football at Grand Valley? 25 years?

It's a bitter pill to swallow to see a program like Grand Valley with no history or tradition, but with an abundance of vision and confidence, catch up to and ultimately pass a great and storied, but complacent, program like UND. Grand Valley is deserving of where they are at, but UND should never have allowed itself to be in that position. But the good news is that UND is moving up to where it belongs...better late than never. I wish Grand Valley the best, but all of my focus is on DI-FCS and the likes of Cal Poly, UC-Davis, Idaho State, McNeese State, etc.

I think your being a little harsh in your assessment of Fighting Sioux football.