UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last kick at QB glory for high-school star

Brett Cameron will take one last kick at playing quarterback with his high school peers before taking his talented leg south.

The St. Paul's Crusaders QB/K/P will compete in the ninth annual RONA Senior Bowl at Canad Inns Stadium on Sunday at noon before continuing his football pursuits at the University of North Dakota -- but as a kicker not a thrower.

"It's a real honour to play in my last high school game with a bunch of guys I've never played with before so it will be fun to play with these guys in my last game," said the son of legendary Winnipeg Blue Bombers punter Bob Cameron. "That will be exciting.

"I do have somewhere to go next year but I'm going to use this game to challenge myself to get better."

At the ND state track meet today, Seth Wisthoff tied Jim Kleinsasser's class B record in the discus, and Brian Sorensen had the fastest class B prelim times in the 200 and 400.

Sorensen won the 100, 200 and 400 today. Wisthoff won the shot with a very respectable 59-plus foot throw.

Not that this really means anything with regard to football, but it was at least somewhat interesting that UND football recruits Brian Sorensen and Seth Wisthoff combined for five individual state titles this weekend (Sorensen also added a relay title), while NDSU's two North Dakota recruits (Vetter and Horner) mostly struggled. Vetter failed to make an individual event final, and Horner was unable to even qualify for state in an individual event.

Not that this really means anything with regard to football, but it was at least somewhat interesting that UND football recruits Brian Sorensen and Seth Wisthoff combined for five individual state titles this weekend (Sorensen also added a relay title), while NDSU's two North Dakota recruits (Vetter and Horner) mostly struggled. Vetter failed to make an individual event final, and Horner was unable to even qualify for state in an individual event.

I would say it does have some meaning to football. It shows how good their all around athleticism is.

To this day, I'm still convinced that had Weston Dressler's unbelievable sr. year of track at Bismarck High occurred prior to football signing day, his recruitment may have been completely different. I have a feeling he'd have had considerable dI interest if schools had realized the true extent of his speed. On a similar note, I can't help but wonder the same about Brian Sorensen? Has a non-receiver/running back/db ever replicated what Sorensen did this past weekend at the state track meet? Not to my knowledge.

In addition to being one of UND's great football players, Fennell also has been a very successful businessman. He recently sold one of his goldmines for $1.5 billion.

http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/view/minewe...6&sn=Detail

This may be mocked and ridiculed, but could Fennell be the mysterious donor that's capable of funding the retractable roof stadium?

To be fair, I don't think Horner was billed as an elite sprinter. He is a beast in the weight room, from what I hear.

To this day, I'm still convinced that had Weston Dressler's unbelievable sr. year of track at Bismarck High occurred prior to football signing day, his recruitment may have been completely different. I have a feeling he'd have had considerable dI interest if schools had realized the true extent of his speed. On a similar note, I can't help but wonder the same about Brian Sorensen? Has a non-receiver/running back/db ever replicated what Sorensen did this past weekend at the state track meet? Not to my knowledge.

Lets not declare Mr. Sorenson the fastest athlete in FCS football yet. In the 3 events he swept at the state meet, he would have finished 2nd, 5th and 6th in ND Class A.

Lets not declare Mr. Sorenson the fastest athlete in FCS football yet. In the 3 events he swept at the state meet, he would have finished 2nd, 5th and 6th in ND Class A.

Yeah but at least he'd still be running instead of watching in the stands like Horner.

He's clearly the fastest ND football player in North Dakota from the class of 2008, and he's about 6'3", 190. That makes him pretty notable IMO. If you want to compare him to somebody, compare his times to what Matt Anderson ran in high school. The two were comparable in size as high schoolers, but Sorensen's times were clearly better, especially in the 200.

fortunately NDSU recruits more than one state - at the Michigan State True team meet NDSU recruit Kevin Jackson won the 100, 110 hurdles, 200 and anchored the winning 4X200 relay with some pretty good times (10.83 100, 14.18 110h, 21.66 200)

I think Dressler ran mostly 400/800's prior to his senior year- and his times were not spectacular, had he run the times he had in the sprints at the end of his senior year I think he would have been much more heavily recruited

I think Dressler ran mostly 400/800's prior to his senior year- and his times were not spectacular, had he run the times he had in the sprints at the end of his senior year I think he would have been much more heavily recruited

Just a small clarification--Dressler was a good sprinter his jr. year, qualifying with pretty solid times in both the 200 and 400. He was mostly known as an 800 meter and sprint relay runner, however. He was runner up at state in the 800 as a jr., and ran relays for his other three events. I wonder if he's the only male class A runner--at least over the past 25 years or so--to have top-two finishes at state in the 100, 200, 400 and 800?

Just a small clarification--Dressler was a good sprinter his jr. year, qualifying with pretty solid times in both the 200 and 400. He was mostly known as an 800 meter and sprint relay runner, however. He was runner up at state in the 800 as a jr., and ran relays for his other three events. I wonder if he's the only male class A runner--at least over the past 25 years or so--to have top-two finishes at state in the 100, 200, 400 and 800?

That's a pretty impressive feat. I can't think of it happening in the last 15 years, but I could be wrong. Back when I was in HS track the 800 runners were lumped with the distance guys.

Now just think of winning those events every year since you were a 8th grader. She may not play football, but Laura Roesler will be fun to follow, where ever here track career takes her.

• 2 weeks later...
I would say it does have some meaning to football. It shows how good their all around athleticism is.

FB recruit Eric Mersereau from Wisconsin was 2nd in 300IH and 3rd in the 110HH at the WIAA State Track Meet in Wisconsin last weekend.

He originally had a photo finish in the 1st 110HH final....then the due to something that happened in another lane

ended up having to re-run the the championship final for the 110HH and ened up in 3rd place

http://www.talk.dyestat.com/showthread.php...6249&page=6

Erik Mersereau, Port Washington

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had never seen anything like this before...

110m High Hurdles Finals was run in the early afternoon on Saturday and Port Washington's Erik Mersereau won in what the scoreboard clock read as 14.48. After keeping tabs on the performances all season, I knew that Mersereau ran the race of his life in that finals. It didn't matter that he hadn't run that fast before because he had done it when it counted.

Apparently though, there was a bit of a stumble because of a flying hurdle going across some of the lanes and someone put up enough of a fuss (partially don't blame them) to get another finals run. Don't get me wrong, the next race Eric still ran well but he ran what would be normally expected of him to run. According to other coaches, the guy who had an "unfair advantage" due to the stumbling hurdle placed last in both finals (Jade Lucas is still a really good athlete in my mind). Also, I am pretty sure Detione White didn't DQ the first time around. This was really messed up.

Boys 110 Meter Hurdles Division 1

================================================== =====================

State Record: * 14.09 1981 Jay Payton, Madison West

Name Year School Finals Points

================================================== =====================

1 Jim Hodgson 12 De Pere 14.42 10

2 Kyle Ullsperger 12 Appleton N 14.49 8

3 Eric Mersereau 12 Port Washing 14.58 6

4 Kendric Smith 12 Monona Grove 14.73 5

5 Troy Heuer 12 WI Lutheran 14.73 4

6 Sean Gretzinger 11 Appleton N 14.80 3

7 Marques Jackson 12 Arrowhead 14.93 2

8 Jade Lucas 12 Marshfield 15.10 1

-- Detione White 11 Waukesha S DQ

When you look at it from a broader perspective, that becomes a crucial 4 points for Port Washington in the team scoring:

1) Kettle Moraine 43

2) D. C. Everest 40.50

3) Port Washington 39

If I was the PW coaching staff (and family), I would be putting up the same amount of fuss as the Marshfield people did and really do some investigating of the WIAA rule book for the state meet to ensure the decision they made was a legitimate one. Unfortunate for Mersereau either way.

Perhaps there is someone who is a track aficionado out there, but I don't think I've heard of a race being fully re-run like that. Flying hurdles? Did they re-run the race in the 1984 Olympics when Zola Budd impeded Mary Decker and Decker fell? Stuff happens. I would think that Port Washington has a legitimate argument that the original result should stand.

Perhaps there is someone who is a track aficionado out there, but I don't think I've heard of a race being fully re-run like that. Flying hurdles? Did they re-run the race in the 1984 Olympics when Zola Budd impeded Mary Decker and Decker fell? Stuff happens. I would think that Port Washington has a legitimate argument that the original result should stand.

Later in the thread linked above from the dyestat site, somebody posted the applicable USATF rule, and apparently the meet referee does have the discretion to order a race to be re-run, although from what I've read I'm surprised the referee chose to do so under these circumstances. While it was an unfortunate decision from Mersereau's perspective, I must say I'm pleased to see he has that kind of speed. In my mind, he was the biggest unknown amongst this year's Wisco signings.

Some very sad news to report--the mother of incoming freshman Seth Wisthoff (and former Sioux fullback David Wisthoff) passed away on Thursday: link

My deepest sympathies go out to the Wisthoff family.

she has been battling cancer for a long time (about 4 years) and wanted to live to see Seth graduate, which happened on the 25th of May.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
32nd annual Wisconsin Football Coaches Association High School All-Star Football Game
North's second posession of the third quarter featured Stevens Point's Mitch Sutton proving University of North Dakota scouts made a good decision when he took a handoff during the first play, peeled through the gap made by the right guard and tackle, and completed a 66-yard touchdown run.