SiouxSports.com Forum

Speed Kills

Green Guy 1

I have been noticing that we have lost the edge in speed against many teams over the last 3yrs. The philosphy was a good one speed kills but we seem to be going away from that. I thought Ferris had way more speed than we did. I know it is easy to criticize after the fact but I had been sayin that all along. Ryan C., Brian C., Tyler P., Colby G., have all been busts as players I think. I feel there are a few more as well. Just frustrated looking for new things next year.

I would not include Genoway yet just because he was only a freshman this year. Even Jeff Panzer was a non factor his Freshman year. However, by the time you are a Sophomore, and one who gets lots of playing time, ie. Canaday and Connely, there should be some output.

I would disagree that Jeff Panzer did not have an impact as a freshman. His freshman stats are posted below. 37 points is a good freshman season. Blais stated before the season that he thought Genoway could become a real scoring threat for the Sioux. Obviously that did not happen. Hopefully he will improve his sophmore year. We need certain guys to step up next year if the Sioux are going to challenge for the league title. The WCHA is going to be very good next year.

Season Team GP G A Pts PIM

97-98 U. of North Dakota NCAA 37 14 23 37 18

This is a topic a lot of us have wondered about as Blais signed up quite a few physically big recruits in the last few years. I agree that Ferris seemed quite a bit quicker than the Sioux. In fact, I thought they made the Sioux look slow in a way that neither CC nor MN did earlier. I also thought UND would be faster this year than last, with Parise, Fylling and Genoway coming in and Connelly returning from injury. But I'm not sure they were. I don't see the team getting faster next year either. While Murray can fly, I don't know if the others (Stafford, Porter and Fabian) are great skaters. (Perhaps someone who does know could chime in.) The team needs to replace the speed of Spiewak (not gonna happen) and Notermann, though, so that will be tough to do.

I have been noticing that we have lost the edge in speed against many teams over the last 3yrs. The philosphy was a good one speed kills but we seem to be going away from that. I thought Ferris had way more speed than we did. I know it is easy to criticize after the fact but I had been sayin that all along. Ryan C., Brian C., Tyler P., Colby G., have all been busts as players I think. I feel there are a few more as well. Just frustrated looking for new things next year.

I believe Genoway is counted on to score, not skate fast. I am still holding out hope. I think it was Dixon Ward who scored 8 goals his freshman year and 35 the next year....

And we know about Goren's story, and Whitey Lundbohm....

I'll judge Colby next year.

Connelly can fly and works very hard on the ice. Would like to see some more offensive production but from what I have seen of him on the ice I think he can do it. Just needs more ice time.

I agree on the team speed thing. That has me concerned. But then I thought we needed a top offensive defenseman and I no longer believe that is a big hole....

I get the impression that both Porter and Fabian are not real fast guys. I think they will be more of the grinding type. Murray is fast and I am not sure about Stafford's skating skills but he is listed at 6'2" 200+ so he is a bigger guy. Hopefully the projected first line of Parise, Bo, and Murray can really click. BUT, we need other lines to score so other teams can't just key on that line. Murray is not very big so hopefully the year in the BCHL has helped him to adjust to a more physical style of play.

We can't become a one line team. Those never work, they win games but never go anywhere in the playoffs.

Parise/Bochenski/Muarry will be great but we need some production on lines 2-3 and maybe 4 too. I think I may put it on Lundbohm to provide a lot of the scoring leadership next year, but Colby, Connelly and Canady are going to have to pick it up. (Maybe Blais could put them all together and have the "triple C" line?)

Stafford went to the Czech Republic with the u18's and was ranked as a top forward. He is ranked 21st overall,both among Europeans and N. Americans, and the top power forward in the 2004 draft by red line report. He and Porter both created a lot of space for Zach and Brady at Shattuck, something Zach didn't have this year. A bonified power forward opens up ice(Porter), a power forward with soft hands and a scorer's touch(Stafford) creates offense which is what the Sioux needs. Porter and Stafford not only add strenght and speed they add toughness and grit...and, as importantly, space for Zach and Brady to move.

I don't think we should give up on Connelly just yet. Don't forget he missed a lot of last year due to a shoulder injury. I like his hustle and work ethic and I think he will produce next year, he reminds me a little of Theo Fleury, he wants the puck and he has a ton of potential.

Canady doesn't seem to care about the puck to much, he's a checking forward. He's the guy doing the dirty work along the corners, getting the scorer's the puck.

I think they both will have better seasons next year.

As far as the Shattuck boys go...not very many bad players come out of that school