SiouxSports.com Forum

there are a lot of games left but......

siouxpuckster

I have very high expectations for this team as do most of those on this message board. If they come out and play their game and lose so be it, I'll just tip my cap to the other team and move on.

I think it would be nice to get a number one seed and play the likes of an Air Force or Niagra in the first round versus having to go through Michigan or BC, and losses like Saturday won't help us get there.

I'm guessing no one has higher expectations of this year's Sioux than the players and coaches on the team. The rest of us are just geeks on a message board, myself included. Hopefully the team doesn't read your comments and feel like they let you down.

Secondly, if they come out and play their game and lose, you'll just tip your cap to the other team and move on? So why don't you give some kudos to Michigan Tech's goalie who stood on his head in the first game of the series in Houghton? I love it when people say things like that because it seems like the cap is NEVER tipped to the other team, there's always some excuse: Poor officiating, bad call late in the game, crummy ice conditions, injury, blah blah blah.

Are you sure you want to play Air Force or Niagara? It took a third period miracle by Goldy Goopher to win last year's opener against AF and Niagara beat UNH in the first round several years ago in what was then probably the biggest upset in college hockey tournament play. Mercyhurst almost beat Michigan AT YOST a while back as well.

Michigan State came out of nowhere to win the title last season. A #1 seed is nice, but not necessary, to win the national title.

I also agree 100% with Yttrium about fan support. Still in my top five games of all-time is a 1990-1992 home game with Northern Michigan. When NMU scored with about 12:00 left to make it 5-0, old REA started emptying. The student section rose up as one and started chanting "LET'S GO SIOUX!". By the time it ended, fans were pouring BACK INTO the arena and the Sioux scored in the final seconds to tie the game up and send it to overtime. Both teams survived a breakaway attempt in OT and the final was 5-5. The Wildcats looked like they'd lost the national title game while the Sioux celebrated. The team stayed on the ice after handshakes, turned towards the student section, and gave a stick salute. When the team is down, that's when they need YOU and every fan in the building to rise up and encourage them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure you want to play Air Force or Niagara? It took a third period miracle by Goldy Goopher to win last year's opener against AF and Niagara beat UNH in the first round several years ago in what was then probably the biggest upset in college hockey tournament play. Mercyhurst almost beat Michigan AT YOST a while back as well.

Michigan State came out of nowhere to win the title last season. A #1 seed is nice, but not necessary, to win the national title.

Uhhh, don't remember Holy Cross? :D

Wisco is young but has some good talent. It will be a tough series. The Kohl center is a tough place to play. That being said if we want to be a top notch team we have to make our presence be known this weekend. With a split we are 3-3 in league play. Not a blazing start but not horrible either.

The 1969 retro...I think you had the green one. I'm still mulling over 12" vs 14" numbers before taking it into have them stitched on.

Oh, they look real good. I like them a lot. I have both a home and away. Also I got my 87 retros done too (Hrkac/Belfour).

Agreed. Saturday's perfomance was sub-par. Friday night in Houghton was not. That's why saying every game we have lost thus far has been a poor performance is completely false (not talking about you dags, but what siouxpuckster alluded to earlier.)

ok, I'll somewhat agree with you onthe friday tech game. however, I don't think we dominated the first 2 periods and the 3rd we did and I will tip my hat to teslak for his performance in the third period in stopping all 14 of our shots. but through 2 periods that night we were only outshooting tech 13-10 and didn't really apply any pressure.

Wisco is young but has some good talent. It will be a tough series. The Kohl center is a tough place to play. That being said if we want to be a top notch team we have to make our presence be known this weekend. With a split we are 3-3 in league play. Not a blazing start but not horrible either.

Great points these teams that are off to fast starts are necessarily going to be doing that in Feb an Mar.

It would be interesting to see how the league shakes out later in the season. The Reason for example MTU Is leading the WCHA is they have played two more games, not saying they are not good I don't expect them to be leading the league in February and March. Not time to panic as of yet.

I dont usually like to comment to much on the Sioux as i feel i dont quite have the knowledge as the rest of you on this forum but here is my thoughts:

I thin that as fans we need to be a little more patient. We know this team has the potential to be great, we know there is a whole lot of serious talent this team possesses. once everything starts to work and they get to know and find eachother on the ice the Sioux will be unstopable, we just need to give it time. this team will step up and play to their potential when they need to, it will just take some time, i agree there is a slight cause for concern but it is nothing the Sioux can not handle further down the stretch. hopefully the week break after this weekends series aganst the badgers will help and they will get back on track for another great season.

wow it feels great to get that off my chest,

so what do you think??? :D

I've learned something from watching Sioux hockey for decades. Teams can not come out every night with the same intensity. As fans, we want them to. But, in reality, mental letdowns are difficult to avoid, after big wins.

I had the opportunity to see both CC games live (with great seats), and what struck me Saturday was how much better CC played. They pushed UND into playing their style (less physical, more speed oriented). At one point in the second period, I wondered if UND wasn't getting into a "no touch, women's rules game."

That is what Hakstol warned the team about after the Northeastern game. Set the intesity, don't just match it. But, at this time of the year, that is not easy.

The most disappointing thing about Saturday is that UND lost in front of a packed house, got out-muscled, and out-goaltended. But, this team has better potential than any under Hakstol, IMO.

They'll come around. And, since when is a 4-2-1 record, all against very strong teams, considered bad?

They'll come around. And, since when is a 4-2-1 record, all against very strong teams, considered bad?

I completely agree. This is the 1st game this season where they looked just out of sorts against a good CC team. They've played 6 games against teams ranked in the top 13 currently, with the other team being Northeastern, who just happend to beat New Hampshire(#6/#7 in polls) this past weekend. All these tough games will provide great experience come play-off time.

I completely agree. This is the 1st game this season where they looked just out of sorts against a good CC team. They've played 6 games against teams ranked in the top 13 currently, with the other team being Northeastern, who just happend to beat New Hampshire(#6/#7 in polls) this past weekend. All these tough games will provide great experience come play-off time.

...who just happened to beat CC 4-2 and 5-3 just under two weeks ago. Anything can happen when good teams play each other.

However, using the logic that some folks use around here, let's see what I can come up with:

UND lost on Saturday to CC, who lost last weekend to UNH, who lost to Northeastern this past Saturday. That should make 2-4 Northeastern the #1 ranked team in the country, right? Oh wait...they lost to North Dakota three weeks ago...