SiouxSports.com Forum

Huskies vs. Sioux

dakotadan

If UND comes out flat, this could be a tight game, but I really don't expect it. There's no sugarcoating it--SCSU has a bad offense. Their defense is very capable, but if you can score 17 points or so, that should be plenty considering SCSU's struggle to score points.

It's a little ironic that last week, UND played a team led by an ex-Sioux defensive coordinator coaching a team known for its offense, and this week UND plays against a team led by a former Sioux offensive coordinator coaching a team known for its defense.

I have a lot of respect for Coach Hedberg, but this is a game that UND absolutely needs to win. They have much more talent than SCSU, and really they should be up by a couple of touchdowns at the half. Hopefully no one is looking by this game on to next week in Vermillion, but I'm sure Lennon won't let that happen.

Tomorrow night in Omaha we have a HUGE game between South Dakota and Omaha. If South Dakota loses you can basically stick a fork in their season. They have a ton to gain by winning the game. If they upset the Mavs that makes the last two games all the more important for UND.

If UND comes out flat, this could be a tight game, but I really don't expect it. There's no sugarcoating it--SCSU has a bad offense. Their defense is very capable, but if you can score 17 points or so, that should be plenty considering SCSU's struggle to score points.

It's a little ironic that last week, UND played a team led by an ex-Sioux defensive coordinator coaching a team known for its offense, and this week UND plays against a team led by a former Sioux offensive coordinator coaching a team known for its defense.

Do not forget Coach Scott Underwood their DC, was a linebacker coach at UND from 96-2000 :ohmy:

Do not forget Coach Scott Underwood their DC, was a linebacker coach at UND from 96-2000 :ohmy:

Underwood has done a nice job there. Especially when you consider that I think SCSU is still only in the high 20's in terms of the number of scholarships (not positive on that).

I have a lot of respect for Coach Hedberg, but this is a game that UND absolutely needs to win. They have much more talent than SCSU, and really they should be up by a couple of touchdowns at the half. Hopefully no one is looking by this game on to next week in Vermillion, but I'm sure Lennon won't let that happen.

Tomorrow night in Omaha we have a HUGE game between South Dakota and Omaha. If South Dakota loses you can basically stick a fork in their season. They have a ton to gain by winning the game. If they upset the Mavs that makes the last two games all the more important for UND.

On offense and special teams, the Sioux are more talented, but not on defense. The Huskies are the best defense in the NCC though.

On offense and special teams, the Sioux are more talented, but not on defense. The Huskies are the best defense in the NCC though.

Possibly, but it hasn't done them much good in terms of wins and losses. And the Huskie D is still quite capable of being torched (relatively speaking), as shown by their games against USD and CWU.

Possibly, but it hasn't done them much good in terms of wins and losses. And the Huskie D is still quite capable of being lit up pretty good, as shown by their games against USD and CWU.

UND certainly has the offense to do that.

UND certainly has the offense to do that.

Exactly. IMO, the only way SCSU keeps UND much under 450 yards and 30 or so points is if the UND playcalling is too predictable. The Sioux need to have a nice balance of run and pass. CWU, which is known for its passing, actually ran for over 200 yards in St. Cloud. USD also rushed for over 200 yards against them, AND threw for nearly 300. SCSU is a good enough defense that they can cause a one-dimensional offense problems, but I don't think they're good enough to hold down an offense with good balance, particularly one with the playmakers UND has. While I didn't see the UNO-SCSU game last week, judging by the statistics it looks like UNO just didn't throw the ball effectively enough to force SCSU's defense to respect the pass. Without McNeill, I don't think UNO can score a lot against a good defense unless Miller has a good day throwing the ball.

On his radio show, Hedberg said that SCSU will be playing UND in Grand Forks next year. Yikes! It will be SCSU's second game on the schedule.

Interesting. I was fully expecting a Minnesota-type nickname ban out of St. Cloud. But maybe things will be better with Saigo gone.

I'll be there with my cheering section. :ohmy:

Good! All UND employees can go to the Ralph and get $10 tickets today and tomorrow.

Here is the UND release:

The UND Athletic Department is pleased to offer UND staff and faculty a one-time special offer to purchase discount tickets for this weekend's final NCC home football game against St. Cloud State University. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. Discount tickets are $10 and are only available for purchase at the UND/REA box office located in Ralph Engelstad Arena. Tickets can be purchased all day Thursday until 6:00 p.m. or Friday anytime between 10:00 a.m - 8:30 p.m. A maximum of four tickets can be purchased. Please have your UND ID ready when purchasing your tickets. Thanks and GO SIOUX!

Its great to see that SCSU is playing UND in football next season. Although it will hurt them in the end more than it will help them it just goes to show the type of person that Coach Hedberg is, in possibly helping out a University that helped him get to where he is now career wise. Thanks coach!

Reading the GF herald today it sounds like SCSU is more banged up than the Sioux. No wide receivers, back up QB's......and their defense is on the field a lot. No excuse to lose this game...whatsoever.

Its great to see that SCSU is playing UND in football next season. Although it will hurt them in the end more than it will help them it just goes to show the type of person that Coach Hedberg is, in possibly helping out a University that helped him get to where he is now career wise. Thanks coach!

Reading the GF herald today it sounds like SCSU is more banged up than the Sioux. No wide receivers, back up QB's......and their defense is on the field a lot. No excuse to lose this game...whatsoever.

I was more than a little surprised that SCSU was willing to play UND next year. I remember NCC teams backing out of games with NDSU when they moved to DI. Hedberg is a class guy and runs a class program. I think there is allot of respect from SCSU towards UND. I think SCSU programs look at UND as a model for DII sports.

I was more than a little surprised that SCSU was willing to play UND next year. I remember NCC teams backing out of games with NDSU when they moved to DI. Hedberg is a class guy and runs a class program. I think there is allot of respect from SCSU towards UND. I think SCSU programs look at UND as a model for DII sports.

When you say backed out, do you mean that NCC teams signed contracts with NDSU and then backed out? Otherwise, it seems to me that the Bison were the ones who did not want to play those games any longer.

When you say backed out, do you mean that NCC teams signed contracts with NDSU and then backed out? Otherwise, it seems to me that the Bison were the ones who did not want to play those games any longer.

If I remember correctly, supposedly NDSU and UMD had an agreement to play a few years ago, but obviously that game didn't take place. Whether or not there was a contract or simply a verbal agreement, I don't know. As usually seems to happen when anything perceived to be negative happens to NDSU, some Bison fans blame UND. In that case, I assume it's because Bubba had just taken the UMD job and so supposedly his UND ties and the "vast Fighting Sioux conspiracy" resulted in UMD backing out. :crazy:

If I remember correctly, supposedly NDSU and UMD had an agreement to play a few years ago, but obviously that game didn't take place. Whether or not there was a contract or simply a verbal agreement, I don't know. As usually seems to happen when anything perceived to be negative happens to NDSU, some Bison fans blame UND. In that case, I assume it's because Bubba had just taken the UMD job and so supposedly his UND ties and the "vast Fighting Sioux conspiracy" resulted in UMD backing out. :crazy:

Absolutely right in that NDSU had a contract with UMD for a game before Bubba was hired. Once hired he didn't want to play the game and Gene who's a good friend of the UMD AD let them out of the contract. No conspiracy just a classy move on Gene's part that's all.

While I didn't see the UNO-SCSU game last week, judging by the statistics it looks like UNO just didn't throw the ball effectively enough to force SCSU's defense to respect the pass. Without McNeill, I don't think UNO can score a lot against a good defense unless Miller has a good day throwing the ball.

After watching the UNO-USD game last night, I think my assessment is correct. Miller is not throwing well at all, and McNeill didn't play against SCSU, so that makes it far more understandable how UNO only managed to score 13 points against SCSU. How much different would the UND-UNO game have been if you substitute Wurth for McNeill, and you don't have to respect Miller's ability to throw down the field at all?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I was fully expecting a Minnesota-type nickname ban out of St. Cloud. But maybe things will be better with Saigo gone.

Guess again...This is from the St Cloud Times SCSU Blog. It never ends! I can't believe the entire state system is looking at a "policy" on UND. You know what that means...

http://65.36.138.212/publicus/blog/read.asp?BlogID=9

A reader question from a couple of posts ago:

With UND going to the next level will SCSU still play them? Or will they develop a similar policy against UND? Or would the policy be a Minnesota State College & University policy? -- Madness from March

I talked with director of athletics Morris Kurtz a few minutes ago to get an answer. "We don't have a policy," he said, "but we suspect MnSCU will be working on a policy, and then we'll go from there."