SiouxSports.com Forum

I know it's way too early

Fetch

I was at that U.S. International game in 86-87. They were indeed coached by Brad Buetow. I remember anticipating a big Sioux win with lots of highlight goals. In those days I was able to make about 2 games a year. So, of course, that had to be one of them. The Sioux were totally uninspired and acted like they'd rather be somewhere else. As I remember, at the time, it was a good lesson learned.

It was totally disgusting.

I distinctly remember yelling "we can't lose to a bunch of g** d*** surfers" at the top of my lungs. Not very Christmasy of me.

1986-87 was a year that we started with some big questions.

Goaltending for one. Belfour was not the most-highly touted recruit ever, at the time, but was a find if there ever was one. (I'd be interested in the story of how he got to UND if anyone knows it.)

Another question mark was the tragic loss of a first-round draft choice in the summer time, following the death of Bemidji's George Pelawa. I only ever saw him on TV at the MN state high school tournament. While he was just about the fastest and biggest guy on skates there, what I was impressed with was his hands and his agility (including several times when he could have laid out a smaller guy but chose not to). RIP.

Another question mark was the return of Tony Hrkac. He'd scored 54 points 2 years earlier but had left for the Canadian National Team (National Junior Team?) and was returning. We knew he was talented and great puck skills, but the open questions were commitment and chemistry.

I don't know details...and this could be wrong...but if I remember correctly I believe that either Gino or one of his assistants was on a recruiting trip and because of bad weather they got snowed in either in Winkler where Belfour was playing or else in another town where Winkler was playing that night. Because they were snowed in and had nothing better to do, they caught the local hockey game and stumbled across Belfour. That may or may be how it happened, but that's how I remember it anyways!

I was at that U.S. International game in 86-87. They were indeed coached by Brad Buetow. I remember anticipating a big Sioux win with lots of highlight goals. In those days I was able to make about 2 games a year. So, of course, that had to be one of them. The Sioux were totally uninspired and acted like they'd rather be somewhere else. As I remember, at the time, it was a good lesson learned.

I'll bet Gino's next practice was brutal after that one.

• 2 weeks later...
It's been 10 years since I've been to Vegas, but have heard that the Imperial Palace may take wagers on NCAA Hockey. Like I said though, that was a long time ago.

When I was in Vegas I heard that the IP is on its way out. Yep, your right they do bet on NCAA hockey but I think it isn't till the NCAA playoffs.