SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO game attendance

Matt

Anyone know what the largest crowd for a Sioux game at the Alerus is?? I think its UND-NDSU but i could be wrong. Anyways I can't make the game but my butt will be in front of the tv watching it from my living room irritating my Bison neighbors. HAHA!! :love:

Anyone know what the largest crowd for a Sioux game at the Alerus is?? I think its UND-NDSU but i could be wrong. Anyways I can't make the game but my butt will be in front of the tv watching it from my living room irritating my Bison neighbors. HAHA!! :love:

I still think it was the UC-Davis game in 2001 when there were people everywhere. But officially, it probably was the 2003 Sioux_Bison game.

I will be there with 33% 50% more fans than usual. :D

Unfortunately, I will not. :crazy: Started harvesting sunflowers today. But will be sending my very loud sister-in-law with my wife! :glare:

I still think it was the UC-Davis game in 2001 when there were people everywhere. But officially, it probably was the 2003 Sioux_Bison game.

Officially, it was actually the 2001 Sioux-Bison game with 13,500. (The "original" capacity of the Alerus :love: )

Seeing as how these games are seemingly always decided by 3 points or less, I don't think fans from either side should feel overly confident about the outcome.

I realize full well UND could win, but I tell you what. I picked UNO to win in the regular season last year and lose in the playoffs by the way the Mavs played defense. I also said that Mankato would give the Sioux everything they wanted and you questioned that until after the game.

I think the UNO defense shows up big time. I'm not saying shutout or anything, but they'll hold UND far enough below their average to win the game. I think UNO can score at least 31 on the Sioux so that's what UNO's defense needs shoot for. Of course, anything can happen to change the game: turnovers, blocks, returns, injuries, etc. Neither team has margin for those sorts of things.

I realize full well UND could win, but I tell you what. I picked UNO to win in the regular season last year and lose in the playoffs by the way the Mavs played defense. I also said that Mankato would give the Sioux everything they wanted and you questioned that until after the game.

I think the UNO defense shows up big time. I'm not saying shutout or anything, but they'll hold UND far enough below their average to win the game. I think UNO can score at least 31 on the Sioux so that's what UNO's defense needs shoot for. Of course, anything can happen to change the game: turnovers, blocks, returns, injuries, etc. Neither team has margin for those sorts of things.

That is exactly my point. Those things always seem to play a large role in these games, and that's why it's so difficult to predict a winner. It's fine to be confident in UNO's defense, but by the same token, you have to at least acknowledge that until a team plays an offensive power on the road, there's always going to be a question mark. A good example was the UND defense of 2005. They played quite well all year, then ran into big problems in Vermillion. If the same thing happened to UNO today, I wouldn't be all that surprised.

I briefly checked ticketmaster yesterday and today, and there are at least three sections where I could buy twenty seats together for the game Sat. Not the nosebleeds either. Yesterday row G and today row N on the 10yd line. There's only one full day left. Is the hockey game hurting ticket sales that badly, or can we expect a big game day walk up?

The problem is it is D2 football. We will pack them in next year!!!! Thank goodness we are moving up.

The problem is it is D2 football. We will pack them in next year!!!! Thank goodness we are moving up.

I've heard this before and I am not buying it as an excuse. Both the teams playing in the Alerus today could kick butt on a lot of DI FCS teams. So could Grand Valley State. So could Northwest Missouri State. So could some of those Gulf South Conference teams (North Alabama). The problems of attendance at our home games are related to poor marketing and lack of TV coverage (today is an exception). If those things don't improve, the same problems will persist next year and beyond. :love::crazy:

That is exactly my point. Those things always seem to play a large role in these games, and that's why it's so difficult to predict a winner. It's fine to be confident in UNO's defense, but by the same token, you have to at least acknowledge that until a team plays an offensive power on the road, there's always going to be a question mark. A good example was the UND defense of 2005. They played quite well all year, then ran into big problems in Vermillion. If the same thing happened to UNO today, I wouldn't be all that surprised.

You are correct about UNO playing a good offense on the road and it is a concern. It hasn't happened yet. However, UNO did hold the #1 scoring offense in D2 to 21 points. It's not unrealistic to expect them to hold UND to 31.

You are correct about UNO playing a good offense on the road and it is a concern. It hasn't happened yet. However, UNO did hold the #1 scoring offense in D2 to 21 points. It's not unrealistic to expect them to hold UND to 31.

NW Missouri's offensive numbers are heavily skewed by the 86 they hung on woeful SW Baptist. Had UND not called off the dogs against Humboldt, I'm sure they could have put up similarly ridiculous numbers, but it wouldn't have accomplished anything. IMO, UND has the best offense in dII this year, so this game should be a good gauge of UNO's defensive capabilities. BTW, Mr. Souder certainly sounded confident in the article in yesterday's Omaha paper. To the extent the UND offense needed any extra motivation, I think his comments may have done it.

"They've got one of the best offenses in the nation," Souder said. "(Running back Ryan) Chappell has had (three) 200-yard games, and the quarterback (Danny Freund) has a passing efficiency of (almost) 200, so they know what they're doing. But we're not going to let them do that to us.

"Our linebackers are talking about how this is going to be the most physical game because of the year, and that's going to be because of us and not because of them. We're going to make the pads pop, that's for sure."

11,563 said the announcers.

Honestly it looked as if there were close to 13,000......Do both Bands count in attedance figures....?

A few empty seats up top in the corners....but alot of people on the end zone mezzanine rails....?

I thought is was a good crowd

Honestly it looked as if there were close to 13,000......Do both Bands count in attedance figures....?

A few empty seats up top in the corners....but alot of people on the end zone mezzanine rails....?

I thought is was a good crowd

Yeah that surprised me, it looked like it was about as full as I've seen the place.

AGREED - there were some blank spots in the upper deck of the visitor side but the sidelines were 3 if not 4 deep. Maybe I f*cked up leaving that side door propped open! :lol:

Nice win Lefty! You guys won it on the field...hopefully there will be another meeting in Omaha later this season :huh: All I know is you have the Lakers a little scared...

AGREED - there were some blank spots in the upper deck of the visitor side but the sidelines were 3 if not 4 deep. Maybe I f*cked up leaving that side door propped open! :lol:

Nice win Lefty! You guys won it on the field...hopefully there will be another meeting in Omaha later this season :huh: All I know is you have the Lakers a little scared...

Thanks, but I didn't have much to do with it except sitting around watching a webcast. I doubt the Lakers are scared of anybody in D2. They'd probably be more concerned about the Sioux since they're the only team to beat them recently.

Thanks, but I didn't have much to do with it except sitting around watching a webcast. I doubt the Lakers are scared of anybody in D2. They'd probably be more concerned about the Sioux since they're the only team to beat them recently.

I talk to them quite a bit and I can tell you they are nervous...they know the GLIAC is a punching bag for them at this point AND the Ashland cancelled game is going to hurt them in the long run. UNO has a great shot to land homefield throughout the playoffs and this year, they DON'T want to travel. If you can hold up - you've got a great shot to be in Florence in mid-december - of course, you'll probably have to entertain us 1 more time before that happens :lol:

I talk to them quite a bit and I can tell you they are nervous...they know the GLIAC is a punching bag for them at this point AND the Ashland cancelled game is going to hurt them in the long run. UNO has a great shot to land homefield throughout the playoffs and this year, they DON'T want to travel. If you can hold up - you've got a great shot to be in Florence in mid-december - of course, you'll probably have to entertain us 1 more time before that happens :lol:

Good points, but let's not forget the history of this program under Behrns. After a big win like this, the Mavs will sometimes go on to lose a game that they absolutely should not lose. In 2004, they lost to Mankato on the last day of the regular season and missed the playoffs. In 2001, they beat UND in the Alerus Center and then proceeded to lose their last two regular season games. They limped into the playoffs and lost at Pittsburg State. I don't know if they have won a single playoff game during the Behrns era. Pat Behrns has become the Denny Green of D-II football! Do they have the talent this year to change that? Yes. But I will believe it when I see it. And I wouldn't count out our squad just yet. I wrote us off in 2004 after we lost to UNO in Omaha and look what we accomplished after that. If UND can win their last three games (@ UMD, St. Cloud, @ USD) they will have at least one home game (more if UNO or GVSU get knocked off during the next couple of weeks). The road will be tough, but not impossible.

Good points, but let's not forget the history of this program under Behrns. After a big win like this, the Mavs will sometimes go on to lose a game that they absolutely should not lose. In 2004, they lost to Mankato on the last day of the regular season and missed the playoffs. In 2001, they beat UND in the Alerus Center and then proceeded to lose their last two regular season games. They limped into the playoffs and lost at Pittsburg State. I don't know if they have won a single playoff game during the Behrns era. Pat Behrns has become the Denny Green of D-II football! Do they have the talent this year to change that? Yes. But I will believe it when I see it. And I wouldn't count out our squad just yet. I wrote us off in 2004 after we lost to UNO in Omaha and look what we accomplished after that. If UND can win their last three games (@ UMD, St. Cloud, @ USD) they will have at least one home game (more if UNO or GVSU get knocked off during the next couple of weeks). The road will be tough, but not impossible.

UNO usually drops a game it shouldn't...generally on the road. I don't think the St Cloud game is a concern so it would be the Central Washington game if it were to happen.

UNO beat Pitt State in 2000 in the playoffs and then lost to NDSU in the 2nd round after having beat them in the regular season. Kind of like what happened last year with the Sioux and the Mavs. If the Sioux and Mavs play again this year it will be in Omaha even if UNO loses twice.

UNO's troubles in the playoffs is certainly an issue with us fans. Other than choking, here's a couple reasons why I think UNO has not done well.

1) UNO has not played great defense with the exception of the 2000 team. That 2000 team has outstanding defense, but Lamar Gordon abused them in the playoff game after not doing much in the regular season game. UND has traditionally played strong defense and thus had better success in the POs.

2) UNO has played really good teams in the POs. Here are there losses under Behrns: NW Missouri State (twice), Pitt State (once), NDSU (once), Saginaw Valley St (once), and UND (once). It's not as if UNO has drew an NSIC or RMAC team. The last two years UNO did not deserve the #2 seed over SVSU and UND and would have pounded Winona State or Northwood in the early rounds and the playoff futility would not be topic.