SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Mankato

Let'sGoHawks!

Mankato lost to Omaha last week. I see their other loss was to Northern Iowa. Northern Iowa is undefeated and one of the top ranked teams in DIAA. The score in that game doesn't tell the whole story. Mankato was only down 6 going into the 4th quarter. Mankato is definitely a legitimate team. We will have to play a game to beat them. Road games have always been tougher for us.

I don't mean to imply that Mankato isn't a legit team. Any team in the NCC is dangerous on a given day. But they weren't particularly impressive in beating Augie by 10 two weeks ago in Mankato. And UNO beat them by 30 last week despite being very banged-up on both the offensive and defensive lines. The bottom line is that UND is the better team, and should win the game if they play relatively well.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every team is up and down some but they played UNI quite competitively for most of that game. That says something. They did get beat pretty good by Omaha but Omaha might be just that good. We'll find out about Omaha in a week.

I think Mankato probably does better against teams that aren't necessarily used to seeing that kind of offense, such as probably Central Missouri and possibly Northern Iowa. Against teams in the conference that have seen it the past three years between UMD and Mankato, it's less effective. Sure, they'll move the ball between the 20's very well, but they struggle to actually get it into the end zone. That's simply a byproduct of not having any sort of a running game. I would say at best, Mankato is the 5th or 6th best team in the league this year. Of course, that doesn't mean they can't beat UND, but IMO they can't without UND giving them a lot of help, i.e. the Augie game last year.

I hope Minnesota State plays a great game and gives us a challenge. We are facing a tough UNO next week and need to be as prepared as possible and know how to play a complete game. However, I see UND taking over in the second half and winning big.

UND 45

MSU 27

I hope Minnesota State plays a great game and gives us a challenge. We are facing a tough UNO next week and need to be as prepared as possible and know how to play a complete game. However, I see UND taking over in the second half and winning big.

UND 45

MSU 27

Really? I guess I would rather have the game wrapped up at the half so we can rest the starters and prevent injuries.

Really? I guess I would rather have the game wrapped up at the half so we can rest the starters and prevent injuries.

I have a feeling that the starters will get rest in the second half of this game. But come playoffs and in games like UNO, the team also needs to have the experience to be able to play 4 full quarters. I don't see MSU's defense being a big problem for us but their offense seems like it could put some points on us if they play a good game.

Still say we win big.

Game is getting ready to start, I vote we use this as the game thread instead of starting a new one.

Coin toss:

Mankato wins, will take the ball.

From what I've heard it warm/hot and windy.... should be a good day for running game. 21 mph winds gusting to 33 mph, 88 degrees...

An emotionally charged Mankato team after the death of a cross county runner this week... plus it's Homecoming

Hellavang kicks the ball out of the back of the endzone (with the wind)... Mankato will start at the 20

1st and 10 from the Mankato 20

Sacked at the 19 yard line

2nd and 11 from the Mankato 19

Incomplete

3rd and 11

6 defensive backs.... false start

3rd and 16

QB (King?) runs to the 19

Punt time