SiouxSports.com Forum

DII Polls

SiouxMD

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UND92,96 is right. GVSU won't be #1 in the Regional Rankings until both UND and UNO lose. Come the playoffs they may end up with the #1 seed because the committee decides to change the seeding, but they will not be #1 in the rankings unless both the Mavs and Sioux lose.

UND92,96 is right. GVSU won't be #1 in the Regional Rankings until both UND and UNO lose. They may end up with the #1 seed because the committee decides to change the seeding, but they will not be #1 in the rankings unless both the Mavs and Sioux lose.

The problem for the NCC right now is that the GLIAC (minus GVSU) is only marginally better than the NSIC (IMO). What that means is that GVSU has a relatively easy time running through the conference undefeated, all but guaranteeing them homefield throughout the playoffs. Not that GVSU probably isn't the best team anyway, but when you add homefield into the equation, they're going to be all but impossible to beat. If they had to travel to any two of UND, UNO, USD and CWU in a given year, plus the occasionally dangerous UMD and Mankato, would they go unbeaten every year? I doubt it. I think the only way for GVSU to get knocked off is for either UND or UNO to go undefeated, as unlikely as that may be. That would give one of those two teams homefield, and at least in the case of UND, would give them a good chance to knock off the Lakers. I can't quite bring myself to say UNO would beat them due to the playoff jinx they have going. :lol:

Here they are:

1. Nebraska-Omaha 5-0

2. North Dakota 6-0

3. Grand Valley 5-0

4. C. Washington 4-1

5. Ashland 3-1

6. South Dakota 3-3

7. Winona State 5-1

8. Michigan Tech 4-3

9. Minnesota State 3-3

10. Indianapolis 5-1

11. Hillsdale 4-2

12. Minnesota-Duluth 3-3

Here they are:

1. Nebraska-Omaha 5-0

2. North Dakota 6-0

3. Grand Valley 5-0

4. C. Washington 4-1

5. Ashland 3-1

6. South Dakota 3-3

7. Winona State 5-1

8. Michigan Tech 4-3

9. Minnesota State 3-3

10. Indianapolis 5-1

11. Hillsdale 4-2

12. Minnesota-Duluth 3-3

Looks like the Sioux have something to play for...should be a great game.

So right now the 3 vs. 6 game would be GVSU-Winona St (Earned Access moves them up from #7). That would be an absolute slaughter equal to or worse than what UND did to Winona last year. I think GVSU could hang at least 60 on Winona if they wanted to.

Winona State at 7?

Is that the same Winona State that barely survived at MSU-Moorhead Saturday? Is that the same Winona State that let the Dragon QB re-write a bunch of Dragon passing records (previously held by Loud Eddie Schultz)?

The Dragons had a sizable 4th quarter lead, let it slip away, and then hit an upright (no good) on the potential GW FG as time expired. Winona State escaped. At 7? :lol:

Winona State at 7?

Is that the same Winona State that barely survived at MSU-Moorhead Saturday? Is that the same Winona State that let the Dragon QB re-write a bunch of Dragon passing records (previously held by Loud Eddie Schultz)?

The Dragons had a sizable 4th quarter lead, let it slip away, and then hit an upright (no good) on the potential GW FG as time expired. Winona State escaped. At 7? :lol:

That's the "beauty" of the system. Winona knows if they play a couple of decent non-conference opponents, split with them, and go through the NSIC schedule with no more than one loss, they're in the playoffs every year. At least until next year when their conference schedule gets more challenging.

If history serves any precedent, take these rankings with a grain of salt. They are fun to look at but I don't really know why they put them out when they have a closed door regional ranking/ national committee meeting at the end of the year where they make their own decisions without rhyme or reason.

I for one am glad that our team has a tough schedule. You get better by playing better teams. You get complacent by playing creampuffs week after week. The Lakers had better hope they don't get knocked off (by Saginaw Valley State for example) or they will take a hit in the rankings because their conference is so soft. Conference games are dangerous because conference teams know your systems and your players better than non-conference opponents. Look at what happened to Southern California vs. Stanford this past Saturday (at home, no less :lol: ). UND has a game like that on their schedule in a couple of weeks (St. Cloud State).

Bottom line: A lot of things could happen between now and playoff time. I am just happy that our team is in good shape in the region and controls its own destiny.

If you remember UND last year was #2 before those closed meetings and when the meeting was over they were #3

Actually, I believe it was the national committee that overturned the regional committee. Regional committees submit recommendations, but the national committee has final say. I can't remember who it was that was interviewed before the first playoff game, but he confirmed that the regional committee had UND at number 2.

Latest regional poll:

1. Nebraska-Omaha (6-0)

2. Grand Valley State (6-0)

3. North Dakota (6-1)

4. Central Washington (5-1)

5. Ashland (4-1)

6. South Dakota (4-3)

7. Winona State (6-1)

8. Minnesota State Mankato (4-3)

9. Saginaw Valley State (5-2)

10. Hillsdale (5-2)

11. Michigan Tech (4-4)

12. Indianapolis (5-2)

Well, it looks like a repeat of last year's playoff setup for our squad. A first round game at home, then a trip to Allendale to end the season (unless Omaha or GVSU lose a game down the stretch). :huh: And if the season ended today, South Dakota would probably get bumped out in favor of Winona State because of that "earned access" crap. :lol: But a lot of things could happen between now and playoff selection time.

Well, it looks like a repeat of last year's playoff setup for our squad. A first round game at home, then a trip to Allendale to end the season (unless Omaha or GVSU lose a game down the stretch). :huh: And if the season ended today, South Dakota would probably get bumped out in favor of Winona State because of that "earned access" crap. :lol: But a lot of things could happen between now and playoff selection time.

you might be right...down the stretch UNO hosts USD and has to travel to Central Washington - they should win both but you never know. GV has road trips to Northwood (.500 team this year) and SVSU (maybe a challenge because they're rivals) but unless the highly unlikely happens - they seem set to be the #1 and #2 seeds.

you might be right...down the stretch UNO hosts USD and has to travel to Central Washington - they should win both but you never know. GV has road trips to Northwood (.500 team this year) and SVSU (maybe a challenge because they're rivals) but unless the highly unlikely happens - they seem set to be the #1 and #2 seeds.

Even if UNO loses twice, I don't know that UND gets a higher seed. Just look at last year for an indicator. If these two teams meet again, it will be in Omaha.

Well, it looks like a repeat of last year's playoff setup for our squad. A first round game at home, then a trip to Allendale to end the season (unless Omaha or GVSU lose a game down the stretch). :lol: And if the season ended today, South Dakota would probably get bumped out in favor of Winona State because of that "earned access" crap. :lol: But a lot of things could happen between now and playoff selection time.

This is one of the reasons us Bison fans were glad to leave D2 behind. I remember, I think it was 2003, we had a kick ass team. That was the year we beat Montana. We had 3 losses by a total of 6 points. 2 were in OT and one was against a good D1AA team. (it was Davis)

Sure enough, Concordia St Paul ends up making the playoffs with the same record. Turns out the Montana game didn't really count for anything. We beat Concordia St Paul by 50 points while we didn't even make the playoffs. What a crap system.