SiouxSports.com Forum

A 12-Team WCHA

Shawn-O

Making the final 5, a good program does not make... Winning an NCAA title (CC and MTU), a good program does make. MSU, Bemidji, and UAA will NEVER win a DI title...

there is a nice handful of teams that may never win a ncaa d-1 title. agree on that for sure. oh well though. guess we will see what happens with all of this and what the future holds. im good either way if bsu is in or not but i would be hurt if bsu didnt have a hockey program anymore if thats one of the options. i guess thats my bottom line, like it or not. many good points on both sides i think.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree with you on that point, AZSIOUX. If the potential of winning an NCAA championship is the ONLY criteria by which teams should be competing in college hockey, let's just whittle things down to 10 teams and dismantle all other programs. Maybe they could do the same thing in basketball, too. After all, we already known Kentucky, UConn, and UCLA would destroy George Mason, right? :D

I'm not against Bemidji State being a D-1 hockey program. I'm against them joining the WCHA because it continues the trend of making the WCHA a small-town conference.

I'll agree with you on that point, AZSIOUX. If the potential of winning an NCAA championship is the ONLY criteria by which teams should be competing in college hockey, let's just whittle things down to 10 teams and dismantle all other programs. Maybe they could do the same thing in basketball, too. After all, we already known Kentucky, UConn, and UCLA would destroy George Mason, right? :D

I'm not against Bemidji State being a D-1 hockey program. I'm against them joining the WCHA because it continues the trend of making the WCHA a small-town conference.

and im fine with this as ive thought about it. just a personal thing with me ya know with bsu hockey. i grew up wanting to play there or UND really. as a kid in youth hockey its great to have that in your backyard. the national title thing is dead on, i will go put mad money down on 10 teams in vaegs and one of them will hit, hell i may be able to do it with 8 teams and still hit easily. i would love a perfect scenerio that bsu gets in to the wcha and there is never a big 10 conference.

question to who that may know - do you think down the road they will push for a big 10 hockey anyways? i know this has been discussed over and over on different forums but do you think it will happen no matter what happens to other smaller schools out there? im not familiar on rules and contracts with conferences so just asking

I see a trend, and I see no reason Bemidji, on a smaller scale, could not do the same. We can't fear the future of college hockey, we must embrace it, and from our place of strength, help advance the sport. 59 going to be 58 D-I programs is not enough for the sport overall. We need to help be the catalyst for the sport to expand and grow, not the reason it stagnates because we want to protect "our" turf. Which, by the way really isn't our turf, anyway. Think big, and don't fear the worst case naysayers. As a whole, college hockey needs to find a way to make this all work out, and from strength, the WCHA needs to lead, not follow in this endeavor.

I agree that it's bad for college hockey to see teams fold because they can't find a viable conference. And I agree that the WCHA will have to step in and save Bemidji State. But don't mistake that for a second with "thinking big" and "advancing" college hockey. This move will be done out of pure necessity to save Bemidji State from extinction. Nothing more.

What would be good for the growth of college hockey is to maintain six viable conferences, allowing openings for schools that may one day consider adding hockey.

Not so much. In the strength of schedule comparisons 8 of the top 10 are WCHA teams. Michigan Tech is #12 and for some reason Minnesota State (Mankato) is #19. (That doesn't make sense does it?)

In fact what we have seen the last couple years is the polls are prefering the CCHA teams with their cupcake schedules. The good teams can run up great records against lesser teams.

The #1 Team in the PWR is Michigan (tied). They've played the 31st easiest schedule in the nation.

Strength of schedule was diluted starting last year. It cost UW a NCAA entry. It will cost additional WCHA teams entries until it is changed back. The WCHA coaches were asleep at the switch allowing that RPI change to occur.

Strength of schedule was diluted starting last year. It cost UW a NCAA entry. It will cost additional WCHA teams entries until it is changed back. The WCHA coaches were asleep at the switch allowing that RPI change to occur.

Total screwjob, but it worked out ok last year. We played a couple cupcakes in Michigan and Minnesota in order to advance to the F4.

Wisconsin defeated Robert Morris 7-2 and 8-2 in a series earlier this season.

Niagara owns wins this season over national powerhouses Western Michigan, Merrimack, and Bowling Green.

Didn't BSU take DU into overtime in the NCAA Tourney in '05 and WI in '06? BSU generally plays WCHA very tough despite the CHA recruiting status and level. Given the opportunity, I think they'll serve the WCHA very well.

I don't see how BSU would bring down the quality of the WCHA when they are better than teams like Mankato and UAA without getting nearly the players through recruiting.(Dalton not included).

Saying they can't win the conference isn't valid as they've made the NCAA tourney a couple times recently and they currently lead the league at 8-2-2. Robert Morris and Niagra are actually pretty good teams too.

People outside of diehard fans do know BSU hockey. I ordered my new Dell a few months ago and when I started to spell out Bemidji for the guy, he stopped me and said "Oh, I know how to spell it. I've seen the Beavers hockey team play Denver in the tourney." The guy was from Texas.

A new arena is a must, but I do think the fan support would pick up a lot if it goes through. I like the Glas but it's crappy to most people and they can't drink there. Not many people wanna see Wayne St and Army either. It's a whole different crowed when UMD or UND are here.

Nice post; BSU wouldn't bring down the league anymore than any of the other teams like MSU-M, UAA ET AL. I saw a highlight from a game in Sullivan arena and there was no one in the building. wow that is bringing a lot to the WCHA. While some claim that BSU doesn't deserve to be in the WCHA, think about this. BSU and Niagra have been to the NCAA tourney more than UAA, MTU and MSU-M the last 5-10 years. BSU too Denver to OT when they won the NCAA title. Niagra has something SCSU does not have, an NCAA win.

Nice post; BSU wouldn't bring down the league anymore than any of the other teams like MSU-M, UAA ET AL. I saw a highlight from a game in Sullivan arena and there was no one in the building. wow that is bringing a lot to the WCHA. While some claim that BSU doesn't deserve to be in the WCHA, think about this. BSU and Niagra have been to the NCAA tourney more than UAA, MTU and MSU-M the last 5-10 years. BSU too Denver to OT when they won the NCAA title. Niagra has something SCSU does not have, an NCAA win.

I agree on bsu not bringing the wcha down but your comparison that bsu has made the ncaa tourney and msu and uaa hasnt doesnt hold weight. the cha is a very weak league as we all know. the only way a team gets in 99% of a time is the autobid they have. im guessing msu or uaa could have battled for that auto bid. lets hope :D thats the difference between the bigger school leagues overall compared to the cha ect........bsu wouldnt bring the league down 1 bit. bsu would be rocking with all those close rivals they will take in. i see both sides of this and just wush bsu could get in without screwing things up down the road with the wcha but if the wcha gets mixed up either way down the road then it doesnt matter if they let them in

I agree on bsu not bringing the wcha down but your comparison that bsu has made the ncaa tourney and msu and uaa hasnt doesnt hold weight. the cha is a very weak league as we all know. the only way a team gets in 99% of a time is the autobid they have. im guessing msu or uaa could have battled for that auto bid. lets hope :D thats the difference between the bigger school leagues overall compared to the cha ect........bsu wouldnt bring the league down 1 bit. bsu would be rocking with all those close rivals they will take in. i see both sides of this and just wush bsu could get in without screwing things up down the road with the wcha but if the wcha gets mixed up either way down the road then it doesnt matter if they let them in

Yep the CHA is a weak league but BSU has beaten UMD quite a few times lately, last season the Beavers swept the dogs and this season they split with the Bull Dogs. I think RMU, Niagra and BSU are legit teams and college hockey should do what ever it take to keep them going. I am not sure how strong Huntsville is financially? Maybe someone like Scott Williams, Moose Richards or Millsy could give us a perspective on that.

Yep the CHA is a weak league but BSU has beaten UMD quite a few times lately, last season the Beavers swept the dogs and this season they split with the Bull Dogs. I think RMU, Niagra and BSU are legit teams and college hockey should do what ever it take to keep them going. I am not sure how strong Huntsville is financially? Maybe someone like Scott Williams, Moose Richards or Millsy could give us a perspective on that.

bsu has many wcha wins over the last few seasons. that wasnt my point. my point was you cant compare a autobid only for a ncaa bid vs a wcha conference in ncaa tourney play.

bsu has many wcha wins over the last few seasons. that wasnt my point. my point was you cant compare a autobid only for a ncaa bid vs a wcha conference in ncaa tourney play.

OK it is a stretch but actually Niagra beat UNH as an at large team.

Bemidji State in the WCHA?

The potential of Canadian schools in the NCAA?

Whispers of a "Big Ten Hockey Conference" if BSU is in the WCHA?

To all of that I can only say one thing:

As it may prove to be an invaluable asset to the program if there are significant shake-ups in conference alignments down the road, thank you, thank you, Mr. Engelstad for the Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Bemidji State in the WCHA?

To all of that I can only say one thing:

As it may prove to be an invaluable asset to the program if there are significant shake-ups in conference alignments down the road, thank you, thank you, Mr. Engelstad for the Ralph Engelstad Arena.

I thought you were going to say: Bison fans owe star2city a few more apologies :D

I would be willing to bet anyone that Big Ten Hockey Conference will not happen.

Second I have a question for everone; where do you think Canaidan Universities like UBC are going to want to play if they get into division one hockey? The WCHA. I would be willling to be my next pay check (figuratively) that is where they are going to want to go.

Second I have a question for everone; where do you think Canaidan Universities like UBC are going to want to play if they get into division one hockey? The WCHA. I would be willling to be my next pay check (figuratively) that is where they are going to want to go.

Gee, ya think? I figured that British Columbia would prefer to play in Hockey East and fly from Vancouver to Boston, New Hampshire, and Maine several times a year. :D

And for the love of Christmas, could someone please spell Niagara correctly?

Someone pointed out ONE GAME from the 2000 season (which, by my count, was eight years ago now), as an example of the quality of play of Niagara. I sought to point out the most-recent example of CHA vs WCHA play and it was the thrashing UW delivered to Robert Morris this season. But, what the hell, since one game makes a program, when is the WCHA bid going to be extended to Holy Cross?

I would be willing to bet anyone that Big Ten Hockey Conference will not happen.

Second I have a question for everyone; where do you think Canadian Universities like UBC are going to want to play if they get into division one hockey? The WCHA. I would be willing to be my next pay check (figuratively) that is where they are going to want to go.

The Canadian schools might well have enough to start there own conference, especially if they can pick up Alaska and/or AA. Only need six to get an auto bid. Of course, common sense would dictate all Conference affiliations would be somewhat geographical to reduce travel, but it hasn't happened that way yet! Maybe a huge shuffle is in order, but there is no "Chief" to direct such a drastic change, so it won't happen. Heaven forbid the NCAA get involved in something directly related to athletics, what with their plate full on the social upheaval issues of the day! (Sarcasm, for those who don't know me.)

If the WCHA (or any Conference, for that matter) went to a 12 team league with a two Division format, as SEC and Big 12 do, they could do home and home with three in your Division each year (rotating) and two games with the rest. That's 28 games, same as now. Still allows for out of Conference games. First round of Playoffs would still be 2 out of 3. Final Five would become Final Six, top seed in each Division with the byes. It's really not that hard to do. Now, 11, that is hard to do! So, I don't see Bemidji, or anyone else, coming in alone.

Why is it that everything you post seems to be against BSU and the CHA?

No, BSU's OT game vs Denver doesn't make them a good team, but it helps. They can't be judged solely on that game, just as you pointing out a sweep of RMU by Wis doesn't mean RMU isn't a pretty good team.

If you recall, Robert Morris beat Notre Dame last year and have beaten Boston this year along with going 1-0-1 vs Ohio St(who beat #1 Michigan).

Niagara does in fact have a win over "powerhouse" Merrimack as you sarcastically stated. Merrimack has also beat Boston and swept Maine this year.

BSU has beaten UMD 5 of the last 6(can UND say that?) and always seems to play UND tough for the most part. I think that they tied UND the year that they took DU into tourney OT.

Hunstville also made the tourney last year and took Notre Dame to double OT.

As it sits, BSU, RMU and Niagara are all receiving votes in the poll this week and BSU would be tied for 22nd if the poll went that far.

The CHA as a whole has lost a lot of talent from last year and unlike UND and MN, there aren't always studs waiting to fill those players shoes.

The CHA certainly isn't on par with the WCHA but that doesn't mean the teams can't be good.

BSU would do just fine in the WCHA.

Like an earlier post said.....think back a little bit. The Sioux weren't always playing in an 11,000 seat palace. The team wouldn't be where it is today if they didn't get help.