SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp

UND Fan

I haven't had time to watch this yet....Lennon addresses 2007 season at annual media day luncheon

University of North Dakota head football coach Dale Lennon officially introduced the 2007 season this afternoon at the team's annual football media day luncheon at the Alerus Center. UND began its first full week of pre-fall practice this morning at Memorial Stadium.

UND FOOTBALL: Freund's wait is over

For the last three seasons, UND junior quarterback Danny Freund patiently stood on the sidelines and watched the offense rewrite the school's record book.

Led by electrifying receiver Weston Dressler, UND's offense totaled 1,245 points in 40 games - a three-year scoring clip unmatched in recent Sioux football history.

Talented UND offense to aid green QB

You can’t spell Danny Freund without UND.

That’s the sentiment the University of North Dakota starting quarterback has adopted heading into his first season as a starter.

For Freund, success this year comes down the talented group that will surround him in the offensive huddle.

“The tools and abilities of the guys around me I think are going to help ease the transition in there,” Freund said Monday during the Sioux’s annual football media day. “It will help me, especially in the first couple games, as I’m getting acclimated to the college game.

“I’m just going to try to make the right decisions and be a leader.”

Has anyone had the opportunity to watch Freund?

The Sioux’s mixture of size up front and speed at all skill positions on offense will be a major factor in the team’s quest for an NCAA Division II playoff berth in its final season in the North Central Conference. Next season, UND will begin its five-year transition for reclassification into Division I-AA.
Someone at the Forum didn't get the memo that you don't call it I-AA anymore, lest you be flogged by a certain group of people. :blush:

According to sources (all secondhand info), among the incoming freshman looking good is Broc Bellmore on the d-line and was compared to a Ross Brennan type of player (same HS too). That is one area where there is some concerns about depth. The new defensive backs are doing alright as well and maybe getting more reps than usual with Alexander out for a little while. However, the new recievers apparently aren't ready to contribute quite yet. For whatever reason it seems their learning/developing curve is a little longer than a lot of other positions. Even Weston wasn't that good of a reciever his first year (though he was a kick return phenom)

According to sources (all secondhand info), among the incoming freshman looking good is Broc Bellmore on the d-line and was compared to a Ross Brennan type of player (same HS too). That is one area where there is some concerns about depth. The new defensive backs are doing alright as well and maybe getting more reps than usual with Alexander out for a little while. However, the new recievers apparently aren't ready to contribute quite yet. For whatever reason it seems their learning/developing curve is a little longer than a lot of other positions. Even Weston wasn't that good of a reciever his first year (though he was a kick return phenom)

Thanks for the insight - keep the reports coming!!

Thanks for the insight - keep the reports coming!!

Weston was a pretty darn good receiver even his freshman year. He was very gradually worked into the scheme and he has improved every year but he was pretty darn good from the day he walked on campus.

I meant to ask if this was a "dead" issue. Does anyone know?

I haven't specifically heard anything in the past week or so, but you have to wonder about the logistics of potentially adding a game this late. I have to think season tickets will be mailed out very soon.

I haven't specifically heard anything in the past week or so, but you have to wonder about the logistics of potentially adding a game this late. I have to think season tickets will be mailed out very soon.

I agree - I would think it would be very difficult to add a game at this point.

I agree - I would think it would be very difficult to add a game at this point.

From last week:

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/all-fb...0,7128531.story

Gioglio said ESU probably could find a 10th game immediately -- but at an extremely high cost.

''There are scheduling options across U.S., but they would cost from $75,000 to $100,000 to make the trip, from leasing a charter to ground transportation and hotels, etc. And then there's the missed classes -- you don't want to leave on a Wednesday for a Saturday game.''

Under NCAA rules, Division II teams must play at least 10 games to be eligible to be selected for the playoffs. Chances are that won't come into play for the Warriors, who do return 13 starts from a 7-4 team but must replace one of the most prolific quarterbacks in college football history and its all-time leading receiver.

But

There is an appeals process to receive a waiver from the NCAA, and Gioglio said his office has already started rounding up paperwork to prove that ESU has made a reasonable effort to find a 10th opponent.

Draw your own conclusions, but it sounds dead to me.

Weston was a pretty darn good receiver even his freshman year. He was very gradually worked into the scheme and he has improved every year but he was pretty darn good from the day he walked on campus.

I didn't mean to take anything away from Weston and he certainly contributed early on. I was just told that they may need to develop a bit if there was any talk of not redshirting someone this year when compared with the last reciever not to.

I can't remember when I've been more excited for the start of a football season. I know there is some questions about the defense heading into the year, but Lennon always finds a way to put together a defense that flies to the ball, and leads the conference in takeaways year in and year out.

As far as the offense go, everyone knows the expectations they'll have, and that they'll be able to move the ball on every team they play. I'm expecting some big point outputs this season, and definitely the #1 offense in the NCC.

Go Sioux! Can't wait for Humboldt State!

I can't remember when I've been more excited for the start of a football season. I know there is some questions about the defense heading into the year, but Lennon always finds a way to put together a defense that flies to the ball, and leads the conference in takeaways year in and year out.

As far as the offense go, everyone knows the expectations they'll have, and that they'll be able to move the ball on every team they play. I'm expecting some big point outputs this season, and definitely the #1 offense in the NCC.

Go Sioux! Can't wait for Humboldt State!

I too am very excited about the season. If the offense can produce anywhere close to their potential, it will take a lot of pressure off a relatively young defense. I think it is a mistake however to sell this defense short. There are a lot of talented players waiting to get an opportunity. They just kind of reload every year. Furthermore, if the offense puts up some early scores, the defense is going to have a chance to pin their ears back and look for sacks. The front seven loves it when the D-coordinators tell them to get after it. The expectations are high, as usual. Should be a great year! Go Sioux! Get out and support this team.

ESU football schedule dotted with open dates

Douds didn't name specific universities, but said he called everyone with the same open dates as ESU, including all teams in the Northeast Ten except for C.W. Post and Southern Connecticut.

The Warriors even considered traveling to North Dakota to play, but the airfare alone was $75,000.

"It's extremely expensive to travel across the country and we don't have the money to do that," said Gioglio.

Not to rag on the Herald too much, but it seems that Kolpack/Hallstrom update their blogs nearly daily with NDSU football reports. Brian MacPherson does the same for St. Cloud State. Thus far, there hasn't been a single blog entry by the Herald staff on Sioux football. If Schlossman can continue to faithfully update his hockey blog regularly during the off-season, is it too much to expect an occasional football update now that the season has started? :D An example would be an entry on the scrimmage last night, with comments from players and coaches. Or which freshmen are being considered to have their red-shirts lifted. Or what injuries have been suffered so far in camp (if not naming individual players, at least positions). There doesn't seem to be any shortage of potential topics.

EDIT: Ironically enough, Kevin Fee had a new blog entry within minutes of my post...on local players at NDSU. :sad:

Not to rag on the Herald too much, but it seems that Kolpack/Hallstrom update their blogs nearly daily with NDSU football reports. Brian MacPherson does the same for St. Cloud State. Thus far, there hasn't been a single blog entry by the Herald staff on Sioux football. If Schlossman can continue to faithfully update his hockey blog regularly during the off-season, is it too much to expect an occasional football update now that the season has started? :sad: An example would be an entry on the scrimmage last night, with comments from players and coaches. Or which freshmen are being considered to have their red-shirts lifted. Or what injuries have been suffered so far in camp (if not naming individual players, at least positions). There doesn't seem to be any shortage of potential topics.

I fully agree - I think it is appropriate that we send a quick e-mail to Kevin Fee at the Herald (kfee@gfherald.com).

• 2 weeks later...